Looking for Opinions

hckyguy1

Registered
Okay guys, I would like your opinions on something. Right now I am trying to sell my R6 to buy a Busa. I really want a Busa, but I have the option to purchase another bike that I may enjoy more, in a different way. I have some money saved up that I was going to use on the Busa, but I found a 1991 Honda CBR600f3 for really cheap (asking 1700, could prolly get it a little cheaper too). I have a 15 year old brother, and a 16 year old sister (im 19) who both would like to ride, but dont have a bike... not to mention my mom doesnt want them riding motorcycles, just like she didnt want me getting one... she hates motorcycles all together. I am now torn between two options, and would like some of your input. My family will be out of town this weekend so it would be the perfect time to get the bike and surprise them.

The way I look at it, it wouldnt really bother me that much if they tipped it while learning to ride and what not as it will be rather inexpensive and I would basically just be getting it for them to enjoy and learn on.

If you guys were in my situation, would you (or do you think I should):

1. Sell my bike, buy the Busa I want.

OR

2. Buy the Honda, and tell my brother and sister they can ride it with me when I go riding (or my dad if they can ever talk him into going out for a ride, something I am never successful at) if they take the MSF and always wear the proper gear, and pay the insurance on it (would only be like 300 a year or so)

On one side of the deal, I will soon be able to get the bike I have always wanted, but on the other side of the deal, I still get to ride, and I get to do it with my brother and/or sister and will be able to spend more time with them and do something I enjoy with people I enjoy being with, and can probably try to sell my R6 and buy a Busa in a year or two when I save up some money over the summer.

Thanks for all your guys/gals input. Heres a picture of the CBR I am considering buying.

CBR.jpg

While ur siblings are still minors, respect your mothers wishes and don't put them on a motorcycle. I know it sucks, but NEVER go against your mom. Either they'll have to convince her, with your help, or they'll have to wait a few more years. Just make sure they're mature enuf to take on the responsibility. Same goes 4 u young man, the Busa is no joke. She's a big machine and requires, like all bikes actually do, a mature and responsible rider. Good luck

thats that I was thinking. Always fun to ride with others as long as your safe. I know they both want to ride, and I have a few friends around here that I could ride with, but they like to screw around alot too so I dont go with them all that often, and what could be more fun that riding with a brother/sister. I wouldnt have to worry about them wanting to take it alone yet as my brother is too young to ride alone, state law says he has to ride with another rider till he is 16, and I dont know for sure if my sister would even be able to hold it up very well, she tipped mine over once just trying to move it.

Does anyone know anything about the reliability of the CBR's from that time? its got about 18,000 miles on, I just dont want to get it and end up having to fix things constantly.

I know my mom wont be happy about it, but I think she will let them ride with me or my dad as long as they wear full gear all the time, and are safe when riding. If I were to get it and she says absolutely not they cannot ride it, then I will either keep it until she lets them ride, or resell it. She let me get my bike about 2 weeks after I turned 17, which is why I thinks he would let them ride as well being about that same age. She was very reluctant to let me get a bike but now that I have one and have shown her that I am safe on it and dont do anything stupid shes is more accepting of it.

Last edited:
keep the R6 (for your family)
buy the Busa (for yourself)
brace for the wrath of your mom :whistle:
P.S. Probably cared for, that CBR is a solid bike

Last edited:
Those CBRs are great, as all of them are. Any bike can be junk, but Honda has a reputation of making things that run forever. If you don't know much about them, take it somewhere that does and have it checked out. If it looks like it's been well maintained and runs good, you can't go wrong for the money, 18k on those motors is nothing.

keep the R6 (for your family)
buy the Busa (for yourself)
brace for the wrath of your mom :whistle:
P.S. Probably cared for, that CBR is a solid bike

Also considered that, but if I keep the R6 I wont be able to get the Busa yet, wont have enough money.

I also considered buying the CBR, then in a year or two give the siblings the R6 and sell the CBR to help buy the Busa, then everyone gets an upgrade.

I ride with my brother every chance I get and living 9 hours away from him, it doesn't happen as much as we want. Just wanted to say good luck with which ever way you go. Be safe out there bro.

Word from the wise.....the guys that you RIDE with, DO NOT control the throttle. Only you can control the physical elements of your bike. If they want to screw around, let them, DOES NOT mean you have to. It's like the old saying, "If every1 else jumped off the Empire State building, are you going to?"

I dont mess around, which is why I dont go riding with them all that often, because I usually just tag along behind them while they pull wheelies and what not.

If that CBR is a good bike, you should probably be able to get all of your money back out of it, should you change your mind.

Respect your mother's wishes about your younger brother and sister riding, until they are old enough to make that decision, don't go against her wishes while they are minors. Sell the R6, get the Busa, if you are ready to respect the monster bike that it is. Don't get out there and act a fool with those friends, control your bike and yourself! Trust...the Busa can hurt you, just like the R6 can...be careful.

PS...I had a buddy that bought one of those CBR's new...it's still running like new! That bike was almost bullet proof!

Last edited:
IMHO I would wait for your siblings to get a little older so they gain some maturity and can make the responsible decision themselves. How would you feel if one of them were seriously injured or killed on a bike YOU provided against your mother's wishes.
I would get your Busa and help your brother/sister out if you can when the time is right.

While ur siblings are still minors, respect your mothers wishes and don't put them on a motorcycle. I know it sucks, but NEVER go against your mom. Either they'll have to convince her, with your help, or they'll have to wait a few more years. Just make sure they're mature enuf to take on the responsibility. Same goes 4 u young man, the Busa is no joke. She's a big machine and requires, like all bikes actually do, a mature and responsible rider. Good luck

+1

Buy the 'Busa if you really want it, and BE CAREFUL! If I had one of these things when I was 19, I'm not sure I'd be here to write this today. PLEASE be more responsible with it than I would have been at 19... and buy some gear if you don't have it, preferably before you buy a new bike.

Then, tell your Siblings you will buy their starter bike for them in 2 years (at 18), and teach them to ride. If you're living under someone elses roof, eating their food, etc.. you live by their rules. Don't disrespect the parentals wishes.

i have had 2 of the cbr bikes. i had a 97 f3 and a 98 f3. both were bullet proof...spent most of their lives at redline. i put 13k on one without so much as a single misfire. the other only had about 8k miles. they did not however make the f3 in 91. i think the f3 didnt come around until 1995. the f2 was made from like 91-94. not sure on that one.

however the bike looks really good. my friend had an 92 cbr f2. he had like 36k miles on it b4 he hit an armadillo and it took out "All" the plastics and the radiator. left him stranded 4 hrs from home.

so the bike sounds like a hot deal, however getting it against momma's wishes may not be such a hot hit. i would go for the busa for now if i were you. however be prepared for a bike that is 125 lbs more and makes about 60hp more. its a large POWERFUL bike that commands immense respect.

something you could do if you wanted to ride is get a few cheaper dirtbikes and go riding offroad. they could learn to ride and you can "all" go together. then when they get old enough to buy one themselves they can do so with some experience riding a motorcycle.
its just another option that your mom might live with. just dont go against her on it because if something happens she Will hold it against you. and you dont want that monkey on your back.

follow mom's :rulez:

Okay guys, I would like your opinions on something.

I don't understand. - Are you saying that you would let your brother/sister learn to ride on your Busa? Or are you saying that you would only let them ride the CBR?

If you really want someone to ride with now, buy the CBR and save up for the Busa.

But DO NOT let a learner ride a Hayabusa.

okay well I had someone email me about my bike today, so if they want to buy it then I will sell my bike and buy the Busa. If they dont buy it I think I will call my mom and explain to her what I have told you guys, and if she says it is okay then I will get them the CBR. Thats what I am thinking as of right now. I talked to the place selling the CBR and I can get it for 1,400 so even if they dont end up riding it I think I could get my money back on it rather easily.

I don't understand. - Are you saying that you would let your brother/sister learn to ride on your Busa? Or are you saying that you would only let them ride the CBR?

If you really want someone to ride with now, buy the CBR and save up for the Busa.

But DO NOT let a learner ride a Hayabusa.

oh no, I would NEVER let them learn to ride on the Busa, I wouldnt even let them ride the Busa after they had been riding for a while. I am trying to decide between buying the Busa for me, or keeping my bike and buying the CBR for them, if I can get my mom to okay it.

Back