Tough NC LEO's

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I'm travelling, so wifey calls me last night, to tell me this story and that I better be careful when I twist the throttle on the Busa.

Wifey was driving home on the NC 15/501 travelling West in her Prius, when a sport bike came flying past her. She says he was flying, she could not even see what bike it was. A few minutes and a few miles later she gets to this scene:

Two police cars with flashing lights.
Biker lying flat on his face, full face helmet and all the gear still on, hand cuffed, one LEO has his one leg and foot standing on the biker's back. Bike is lying on it's side, next to the pavement.

The message she gave me was: "Pleeeeaase don't let that happen to you!!!"

Sounds like there was ALOT more to the story than just a speeding Goof Ball :laugh:

Doubt it its called excessive force:rulez: and I see it all the time YOU RAN FROM ME WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE IM A OFFICER OF THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me: "but judge, they used excessive force"
officer: "He had a helmet, armored jacket, metal caped gloves, and knee high boots on"
Judge: "oh, so he had body armor on huh?"

hahaha, seriously, i doubt the rider felt much.. especially if he had a spine pad. although i would be pissed about scratching my lid.

I got tagged a few years ago in NC heading to the ferry to traverse the Outer Banks. Was moving at a good clip ... lower triple digits for the most part in the rural open coastal roads. Can't remember exactly why I slowed down, but I did ... think I had just taken a bladder break ... when an oncoming car way up ahead suddenly swung perpendicular across the small two-lane road running thru the marshland.

As I got closer, saw it was a police car so I pulled to the side & let him roll up to me. One of the first things he said was "I can't believe you didn't run. All the motorcycles try to run from me."

Well, I had studied the maps before the ride and knew that even if I were so inclined, that road ended in the Atlantic at the ferry terminal, and behind me was a military base. No where to go anyway. He laughed and agreed, but still found amusing how many motorcyclists made a go of it anyway.

I was relieved when he said he got me doing 74 in a 55 & thought without saying "shulda seen me 1/2 mile ago." So, he wrote me up for 74 in a 55. Down there, it's a mandatory gotta-show-up-in-court, so I had to hire an attorney (cheaper than a return trip, hotels, & meals) who got me "probation" where if I got no new infractions for 3 years, its dropped.

Long story, but confirming that states like NC are way tougher than others. Like NJ where the cop who got me doing 96 in a 55 just gave me a warning. Not many hiding places or exits on the southern stretch of the NJ Turnpike & LOTS of state police all over.

I can't believe he didn't read up on all the threads here on how to run and get away :laugh:

His wife did say she couldn't tell what kind of bike it was, but certainly if it had been someone here who read one of those threads he would have powered through and gotten away!:whistle:

Let me share a quick little story for you about running.

I befriended a young man a couple years back in his mid to late twenties. He was an avid sportbike nut simular to many of us. He was suffering from the same disease that many of us suffer from "It's an individual decision whether or not I run"!

Well, he had been captured on run number 12. He had successfully run 11 times in the past and told me he was convinced the boys in blue could never catch him. On run number 12 he found himself all bottled up with no where to go and to his surprised the Hwy Patrol guys just sat and stared at him. However, about 15 seconds later the one who began the chase comes sliding onto the scene bails out, tackled him off the bike, rubbed his nose in the dirt while kneeing him in the ribs, thought he twisted his arm out of the socket while applying handcuffs, picked him up and tossed his ass in the back seat of a Crown Victoria.

He spent the night in jail, bike towed, charged with felony evasion and a multitude of other offenses. When it was all said and done, he could have purchased two hayabusa's and tricked them out with the amount of money he spent.

In order to keep his license he was required to carry SR22 high risk insurance for three years. When I met him, he was driving a 1986 mazda paying $680 a month for basic liability. He spent $6000 in attorney fees in order to stay out of jail. When all was said and done his little get out of jail free card cost him around $30K.

He told me he would never ever run again. It was much cheaper to hire an attorney to skate on a $300 ticket than go through years of agony and expense.

Moral of the story is, if you roll the dice enough they will eventually come up snake eyes!

If you decide to run and get caught, you could and should expect an asswhoopin! :cheerleader:

Hmm i know personally in nc that the state troopers have this nice little sleeper camaro all black and one little decal "im talkin a circle about maybe 3 inches" that says nc state trooper up on the front fenders right about where the ss should be located it that will out run (most) bikes on the road dont know about the busa but still i dont want to test that theory if im in nc

If you decide to run and get caught, you could and should expect an asswhoopin! :cheerleader:

AMEN on this. All these people saying excessive force grow up! Just call it punishment for running similar to what parents should do when thier kids do something wrong or out of line. Spare the rod, spoil the child . . . just consider the police officers night stick the rod :laugh:

Yes you def get what you ask for . Respect is a two way street .
Whether speeding or not , stop and give respect and you will get it back , maybe with a big fat ticket but still alot better than the possible other outcomes.

Back