Ear plugs

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
Have been riding for awhile, without earplugs, then happened to see an article about another topic that mentioned that 15 minutes of riding without ear plugs at 90mph can cause permanent ear damage. I imagine ear damage is possible at more reasonable speeds.

Haven't ridden with ear plugs yet, but concerned that I won't be able to hear traffic around me. Is there a "best" style of plug that filters wind noise but allows traffic sounds to come through reasonably well?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
I bought plugs from ebay in bulk

I only wear them if I am riding for more than an hour straight.

If its stop and go, city riding i dont use them.
HOWARD LEIGHT EAR PLUGS

the plugs makes me use my eye sight more to scan the surrounding.

I felt the exact same way about not being able to hear sounds around me. I have been riding for 35 plus year without plugs. Yeah i'm old, 53 and grew up on loud rock and roll and shooting guns without ear protection, so im a bit deaf. But trust me on this, you will find your level of concentration will go up two fold as well as your awareness of things around you including traffic noise. Not to mention, at the end of a long ride you can hear people talk!

I'm still looking for a good set of plugs, but i saw an article about custom silicone plugs that this guy does at biker events. When i find more info, i'll pass it on.

I only tried ear-plugs once. I had to stop and take them out, just couldn't get used to having them in at all, felt like I was dreaming.

You can get this in a bulk.

Max Lite Ear Plugs NRR 30

plugs.JPG

I use the soft silicone plugs...believe they are called "Mack's".
They stay put, and are the most comfortable for me inside a helmet.

CW

I felt the exact same way about not being able to hear sounds around me. I have been riding for 35 plus year without plugs. Yeah i'm old, 53 and grew up on loud rock and roll and shooting guns without ear protection, so im a bit deaf. But trust me on this, you will find your level of concentration will go up two fold as well as your awareness of things around you including traffic noise. Not to mention, at the end of a long ride you can hear people talk!

I'm still looking for a good set of plugs, but i saw an article about custom silicone plugs that this guy does at biker events. When i find more info, i'll pass it on.

+1 Ace, I guess when we were growing up we didn't know any better and now we're paying the price...because now the rock'n roll has to be really loud! I started wearing ear plugs probably a little over 10 yrs. ago when I realized I couldn't hear so good when I got off the bike. I now carry lots of extra's and won't go anywhere without them.

You can get this in a bulk.

Max Lite Ear Plugs NRR 30

Those are the ones I use. Get them "free" from work.:laugh:
I've used them religously while riding for a couple of years now, can't stand to ride without them. They do away with the whistling and howling of the wind (Arais are noisey), so I can hear everything else.
As for everyones concerns about "not being able to hear traffic, etc..", I find it to be exactly the opposite. Now I CAN hear the other sounds.:thumbsup:

When I started riding I knew nothing about ear plugs. First time I tried, I was like - Wow! I can really focus on riding! I like the 33 db soft foam blue ones sold in drug stores - like a bunch of them in a carton. I use a pair for a few weeks to a couple of months, then throw away and get another pair. Go for the maximum db rating. I wouldn't use 29 db.

Don't be concerned about not hearing things. The plugs reduce all sounds equally. You will hear the engine, the traffic around you, the honking, the blasting radio. You will NOT have ringing in your ears after the ride, and you will NOT get tired because of the constant wind noise. You will be ABLE to humm while you ride and be able to hear your own voice pretty good.

Howard Leight max NRR 33db rated earplugs for the past 19 years of riding. Don't regret wearing them one bit, and can't ride without them now no matter how long the ride.
I too got the bulk box set. Will probably last me the rest of my riding career.:thumbsup:

I use the "el cheapo" x-mas tree plugs issued by the military (sample pic below)

View attachment 1537987

Me too :thumbsup: , and I've worn ear plugs for 30 years. First MYTH to correct is that you can't hear traffic. NOT SO, I hear everything, just at a lower level. Kinda like what you hear in a car with the windows up. :beerchug:

What I don't understand is you guys who listen to MUSIC while riding. I know you can't hear anything :laugh:

I bought plugs from ebay in bulk

I only wear them if I am riding for more than an hour straight.

If its stop and go, city riding i dont use them.
HOWARD LEIGHT EAR PLUGS

the plugs makes me use my eye sight more to scan the surrounding.

+1 Ebay bulk. I still have like 200 pairs of Howard Leight plugs after a year. Ear plugs along with a darkened visor really help me concentrate.

Someone mentioned it's like dreaming, but I found that helped me ride better. It detaches you from reality just a tiny bit so you don't get concentration stolen by bright light or sudden noises, and you can spend that extra concentration wisely.

Stub your senses a little bit...it's kind of like light meditation.

Last edited:
Back