Stubborn tank stickers removal

Otto

Registered
Has anyone got a trick to this? My fingernails certainly don't seem to do much good as these stickers are REALLY STUCK! Don't want to damage the paint, but have already made something of a mess...([paint still OK though).
There must be a way, except it beats me...!

Pinstripe removal wheel is your friend. It'll take em right off. Just don't hold it in one spot. Keep it moving. It's kind of like a buffer. . . If you leave it in one spot you'll burn through the clear.

Last edited:
Pinstripe removal wheel is your friend. It'll take em right off. Just don't hold it in one spot. Keep it moving. It's kind of like a buffer. . . If you leave it in one spot you'll burn through the clear.

Does that mean I have to buy a machine to do this(?) or is it something attach to my drill...?

You need heat, sitting it in the direct sun can help. You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun just be careful and keep it moving, if you just hold it in one place directly on the paint it can burn the paint. You want to soften it up so that you can get a section started and continue to peel off, hopefully the entire decal at once if your lucky. Some of the decals have a more aggressive/permanant adhesive and can be difficult but if you find the proper heat range they will come off.

Guess what? Most of the time all the adhesive is left behind and that's the most difficult. Do some searches for removing decals/stickers to find what everyone is using. I use Rapid Remover, stuff works like magic. $60 bucks a gallon but I do this stuff for a living so it ain't no big deal to me.

Where you located?

there is a spray at the auto part store called sticker removal it helps I have used it but it was still hard. if not goof off is good as well

A product called Goo Gone works real well for removing the excess adhesive as well. It's citrus based so smells really good, just don't drink it.

BE REAL CAREFUL WHICH GOO GONE PRODUCT YOU BUY! ! ! They have a couple different types for different applications. Buying the wrong one will strip your clear coat and/or paint. The correct one will state is for stickers on the bottle. Whatever method you use is going to require a little work.

Tank Stickers ???

1st is this a Gen I or Gen II Bike.

If your referring to the ( S ) and the warning sticker, Both can be removed with Goo Gone and a hair dryer and like you mentioned a little rubbing.

Makes for a nice clean look

===================================================================

000_2782.jpg

nice bike,,,
I removed mine the old fashion way,,,I used hot water and a wash cloth with palmolive,,the sticker will come off at a pretty good clip,,,but the glue ,,you have to keep ,balling it up,,,,,,sounds like the upper post have it down to a science,,I thought about useing a solivant too,ie; lighter fluid,,,but was afraid of the resindue or paint damgage,,,but you can put an agent on the paint momentarly,,you just cant let it set,,,ie; spilling gas on paint at a gas station,,,,Good work and ideas fellows,,wish I knew that when I bought my bike,,,,,and the hairdryer is a must too,,LOL works well..
in 04 , They went sticker happy on my bike,,,could hardly see the bike due to the stickers,,LOL,,,like were gonna leave them on,,,yeah,Right,,,,I did the frame tho,,If I was doing a custom bulid,,they would come off

Last edited:
OK, thanks for all the suggestions. Here's the DEFINITIVE absolutely fail-safe and easy procedure.
USE Hairdryer for some heat. AND here's te secret weapon....A SOFT PLASTIC takeaway SPOON!
Apply heat and push the spoon turned UPSIDE DOWN at the edge of the sticker and pry loose as the glue warms up and softens. The sticker will give way and you keep applying heat and push the spoon till it all comes off. ALL OVER in 7-10 mins tops for all your stickers on the tank. NO DAMAGE to the paintwork and looks like the stickers were never there. Just becareful you don't apply too much heat and melt the SPOON! Paintwork is quite hardy.
Wipe over glue residue with, Eucalyptus Oil, Ti Tree oil or WD40... ( used all three!) FINITO!

Back