Chain and sprockets questions

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys I'm finally changing my chain and sprockets and do have a few questions.. I changed both sprockets , the front Factory(?) looked ok , My ok is comparing it to the new one . both looked about the same . Now on the rear The rear had a steel sprocket I replaced it with a vortex aluminum one. Comparing the old to new, the new one has wider teeth (and more pointed). So I had another vortex (new) on the shelf and compared just being courious, and both having the same part number , other than the amount of teeth ( 41 vs. 43) but the teeth were noticeably different on them too ( like 1/8 inch difference in width at the top) ... I'm not worried so much about the new ones but for knowledge purposes how can I tell if the old one is really bad? The reason for the change was the bike made a popping sound when pushed in neutral .( Like chain bind.) Which brings up another question about the chain. I bought the bike used , and dude said it had a new chain, I drove it maybe 2-3 miles and noticed it sounded like the chain was dry. It was !! real dry.. So I cleaned it and greased the C*ap outa it.. The chain does look good , feels ok No binding , no loose spots etc . How can I tell if its still good..? I would hate to throw it away if its worth saving. Yet dont want any bad issues either .. any advise? The 2 pictures shows the 2 sprockets together Black one is New Vortex and sliver is a steel used one.. The picture with the 2 sprockets separated are both new vortexs its hard to tell in the picture but the silver one has wider teeth.Both new and both for Hayabusa 41 vs 43 teeth..

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Back