Cop runs stop and hits a harley

What should happen? He wasn't blasting through intersections txting...

This is a sad situation but I wouldn't think bashing is the right thing to do.

Looks like he was going closer to 30 mph rather than the 10 mph the officer claims.. Hope the biker recovers without any lasting effects.

We have computers in our patrol cars and yes it is alot going on in the car when driving. We have one man cars, I'm sure this will end in the officer and the Department getting sued. As far as how fast he was going that was recorded by the computer system. That will come out in civil court Im sure. Dispatch and supervisors can see location and speed of all patrols at all times due to the AVL. Automatic vehicle location system all of which is a recorded GPS signal. The officer was at fault and will not walk away from this one, he did not break state law or department rules so no ticket, but he will answer for this in civil court.

Messed that guys leg up. Sad. Might even have lost the right leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
he did not break state law or department rules so no ticket

He ran a stop sign because he was distracted. The specific reason for the distraction is academic. He ran a stop sign. He did break the law, and caused serious injury to a citizen who had not committed any infractions.

While I feel sorry for the rider cuz he's 74 yrs old and will not heal quick from anything and am a bit angry at the cop I ask all what if it was just a normal citizen driving who hit him ?
What would have been done ?
Running a stop sign and causing an accident is not a felony is it ?
Of course in civil court rider will win a large sum but to play devils advocate I would say if it had to happen rider should be happy it was a county vehicle cuz now he will get paid for sure . A normal civilian if they had hit him would not have the millions this guy now deserves ? Would they ?

Fellow LEO on a motorcycle was hit head on by a young female who made a left turn in front of him. He was very lucky and only got two shattered wrists, surgery and has a long recovery of him. All she got was a Fail to Yield ticket. A $100 ticket ! To bad the motorcyclist usually pays the price just as he did in this incident.

and gets a slap on the wrist. back on duty days after almost ending a mans life due to negligence. there is a video in the article. CRAZY!

Cop hits motorcyclist and gets away with it.... - Orange, CA, United States, 92865 - Sportbike Club Blog post - Brought to you by 2 Wheel Tuner magazine

The man that ran into the trooper an killed him here has yet to charged, the Trooper was trapped an burned alive in his vehicle. Police car wasn't even on the roadway when the driver supposedly fell asleep an hit him while parked on the shoulder. There may not be any charges filed since he wasn't on drugs or drunk. It will be investigated as a traffic accident an that s all, I imagine some states are different than others. Keep this in mind if you venture into Fl. Accidents happen, only thing is when your on the bike, your the fender. Sorry for the riders pain :( down here the people are only required to carry like 50K of coverage on their insurance thats about what 2 days in hospital here if you go in ambulance.

Read an article somewhere here where a female driver ran into the back an killed a female rider while doing here nails and got locked up for a while, I assure that won't happen here some negligent driver puts you an down out financial compensation for your pain will be all you get if that :( unless their drunk or on dope

Last edited:
This truly is a sad story, but the LEO is definitely 100% at fault and there should be some sort of reprimand handed down.

Its a sad siutuation for everyone. I am sure the officer does not feel good about almost killing a 74 year old man. That will probably stay with him for life. The rider has to recover from his injuries and the fact that he is an Elderly man won't help. I personally would rather Not be in his situation even if they paid me Millions

Back