Breaking gas cap lock?

Speed King

Banned
I have a kawasaki 600 and the key will not unlock the gas cap, I have tried everything from lubing the key hole to getting another key made , nothing works.
Can I just break the lock with a hammer and a screw? Then unlock it with a screwdriver?

I am going to go keyless if i can ever get my tank open:banghead:

Wow, that's a real pickle. I would try some Amsoil MP in the lock hole and if that didn't work, I'd take it to a locksmith and have him look at it. Probably not going to cost much and he might have some ideas.!!

Not sure, I have never done so before.

not 100% sure but you should be able to unscrew the entire assembly (here's a schematic for the Gen I): Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Suzuki 2003 GSX1300R HAYABUSA FUEL TANK MODEL K1

gas tank.jpg

Last edited:
Should be able to take the whole thing out pretty easily. Go to Ron Ayers parts diagram for your year ZX and it'll show how it goes together (and comes apart).

i had was starting to have the same issue on my zx6r. It was invariably bending the key. When that stated i just used the spare

You can't unsrecw the cap if the key will not unlock it. There is either 1 or 2 tabs that go into slots on the tank and the only way to take the whole cap out is with it unlocked. The problem is either the springs that release the tabs are broken or corroded. If you have tried spraying lube in and it still won't unlock the only option you have is to drill the cylinder. If you know where the tabs are located, drill the tabs out and the cap will pop open. I just did the same thing on my brother's '06 Ninja 636. Don't use a hammer and screw driver because the pressure of banging on the screw driver can dent the top of the tank. Believe me, I am telling you from experience.

:poke: cutting torch?:laugh:
NO dont try that:rofl:
a good smith can pick it apart for you.
is it the right key? have you ever had it open? ???

Back