Do I change both sprockets ????

jons06

Registered
I have a Gen1 Busa & the teeth on the vortex rear sprocket broke off when I dumped it. I have gone to a 43 from a 42 on the rear (since that is the highest I can go with a 112link chain) and I am keeping the front sprocket stock. My dilemma is, I am told that if the rear sprocket is messed up, then the front one probably is too, and my chain is probably stretched. Is this true ???? I took off the front cover but the sprocket looks fine, should it be changed just because I am changing the rear ? Do I really need a new chain ?? Heeellllppp :{ .... I can do the work I just want to know what is best for my Baby Busa..:banghead:

I was always told to change both sprockets and the chain at the same time. This is because of the wear pattern. If you replace just one, you reduce the life of the newer stuff. Besides, how much is a freakin new front sprocket? Not that much man, just change em both out. Done deal.

And also, drop a tooth on the front sprocket if you want more low end... It's the equivalent to going 2 1/2 up in the rear.

Last edited:
They all stretch at the same rate, change them all even though it's not cheap, check out supersprox :thumbsup:

Does anyone know what the change in the speedometer reading is ? Up or down, & by how many MPH (running 17/43 sprocket set)?

They all stretch at the same rate, change them all even though it's not cheap, check out supersprox :thumbsup:

Amazing longevity.

img_1404_supersprox.jpg

...... I am told that if the rear sprocket is messed up, then the front one probably is too, and my chain is probably stretched. Is this true ???? I want to know what is best for my Baby Busa..:banghead:

Examine the front sprocket that will tell u if it is ok, rather than ask a forum of people that have not even seen ur bike. Measured the chain, that is the only way of knowing if it's streatched beyond the manufacturers tolerances instead of asking on a forum of people that have never even seen ur bike.

As far as the standard "replace everything" answer to be safe.... If u have $ to spare replace it all together and start from new all at once. However you did not reveal the mileage on the sprockets. I would not replace all if you are at low mileage. But a front sprocket runs about $16 and don't get caught up with a aluminum sprocket weighing less and better for performance over steel. Get a steel rear like JT steel and don't worry about low life or broken teeth.

i just installed new chain and sprokets today (16-42), and my bike is so much quieter now. i had a link that was kinda frozen, so i dont know how long it has been ongoing.

Examine the front sprocket that will tell u if it is ok, rather than ask a forum of people that have not even seen ur bike. Measured the chain, that is the only way of knowing if it's streatched beyond the manufacturers tolerances instead of asking on a forum of people that have never even seen ur bike.

As far as the standard "replace everything" answer to be safe.... If u have $ to spare replace it all together and start from new all at once. However you did not reveal the mileage on the sprockets. I would not replace all if you are at low mileage. But a front sprocket runs about $16 and don't get caught up with a aluminum sprocket weighing less and better for performance over steel. Get a steel rear like JT steel and don't worry about low life or broken teeth.

steel is so heavy... what about alloy? Might be the same thing. im still learning about all this stuff

steel is so heavy... what about alloy? Might be the same thing. im still learning about all this stuff

Ok so we are only talking about ounces in weight difference. Are you telling me u you can ride a busa and tell me afterward you can tell the is a difference?

"don't get caught up with a aluminum sprocket weighing less and better for performance over steel. Get a steel rear like JT steel and don't worry about low life or broken teeth."

Well noted. We'll be switching back to steel next go 'round. Think I can squeeze out a turd before each ride to make up the weight differance...lol
Preciate Ya!

Anyone else using Maxima Chain Wax after a cleaning? Sling and Wear pros/cons?
Personal riding conditions entail gravel grades every trip out. Using HondaChainLube w/ Moly now and it just don't seem to hold up all that well in said conditions.

Ok so we are only talking about ounces in weight difference. Are you telling me u you can ride a busa and tell me afterward you can tell the is a difference?

:rofl: calm downnn. I wasnt saying i know i also said in there im learning. Jeez so defensive there. Chill pill!

There are plenty of horror stories of chain snaps that ended up costing lots of $$. Spending a few extra bucks for a front sprocket is well worth the $$ IMO. However if I read your post correctly, You lost a tooth from an accident? If so,I would add a new chain to that also to be on the safe side. All the power of your motorcycle is transferred through those links.

:rofl: calm downnn. I wasnt saying i know i also said in there im learning. Jeez so defensive there. Chill pill!

Your the hyper sensitive one. I simply asked a question and did not even use bold, caps or exclamation marks. I just offered the best equipment life durability at the lowest price suggestion.

Next time I will just help u spend $180 for a chain and another $130 in sprockets by posting "mightest well replace them all just to be safe..."

Go research how much the exotic steel aluminum blend 42 teeth sprocks are. Or the flashy looking soft aluminum vortex rear sprocks are compared to a much stronger steel one is. So u can keep ur pills in ur medecine cabinet, I don't care what u do.

HERE'S YOUR SIGN and !!!! marks

Lol there you go writing an essay and getting butt hurt. Oh well think what you want you just look stupid by being so touchy when I never questioned anything you said really :rofl:
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Back