Need help draining all gas

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
Have to get the bike ready for a PCS move. It says the tank should be emptied. Does this mean very little fuel? (Less than a gallon in it now) Or does this mean NO fuel in it? If it means no fuel how do I get it all out? I removed the long bolt that holds it down in front of the battery but how do I empty it out? Disconnect the clip under the fuel pump, or open the filler hole and turn the thing upside down?

Turning it upside down won't work cuz it has a neck that goes down into it that will prevent it from coming out if turned upside down .
I got a 'shaker syphon' from pep boys ($10) . Little hose with a captured ball on one end . Stick in inside tank all the way down and jiggle it .
It will pump it all out .
Or just feed a long rag (with zero lint or things that can come off) into tank and let it 'draw' up the gas by leeching it .
I dont really think they would mean 'every last drop' though.

BUSA PROBS 005.JPG

Last edited:
They checked my bike when I was bringing it over to Japan with me. I took the tank out and pulled the main line from the bottom. After it drained all the way out, I let it sit open with the lid off for an afternoon to let the fumes evaporate. I didn't want any possible problems when it came to pack out day.

Also, remember to drain your coolant and disconnect your battery, and be ready to show the movers at that time. One last thing, make sure that they bring the custom crate to your house. Don't let them take your bike in the back of the truck and say they will pack it up later...too many horror stories of broken parts/packe dwith household items inside of the crate, etc. Call the TMO office if they give you a hard time.

I use a piece of steel brake line on the end of a hand pump/syphon hose. This allows you to get to the bottom corners of the tank.

I tried the rag thing. I took a leg of a pair of khaki's that was about 2 feet long and it barely got any on the cloth. I'm just gonna leave the top open and let it evaporate. They dont pick it up til the end of August but I leave tomorrow. I did disconnect the battery but didnt see anything about taking out the coolant???

Tip about riding the bike till almost empty worked for me. Also, heed Blue'87GT's advise about packing/hauling the bike.....movers will treat it like a piece of furniture :cursin: (will be crammmed in the crate with your HHG) Best of luck!

From what a dealer told me when I bought mine,,,{there was a out of state dealership that was going to sell and ship me one from ohio new] that it could be shipped with a very small amount,,because they have to test out the bike beofre letting it gout the door new,,,So , as long as it was almost emptied,,sounds like youve surpassed the spec's to me,,,P.s....love the upper post ideas as well,,,good stuff,,,FYI ,, when I need to drain power steering boxes,rear ends overflows,mastercylinders,,ect,ectect,,,I was shown to use a small 1/8-1/4 inch clear hose ,and draw the fluid out that way,,you wont get any in your mouth for 2 reasons,,,one,,,its clear and you can monitor it,,and when it gets close to your mouth[ about 10 inches,,,put your thumb over the end of hose that was in your mouth,,and it wont drain out the other end until you let go,,,,and 2nd,,because your useing a small hose,,when you draw the fuid,,it goes thru the hose slowly,,exspecially oils,,

Back