practice your "oh dang" stops!!

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
even 25+years of rideing high performance bikes taught me something tonight..had a truck pull out infront of me . was following 2 cars and a logging truck. highway speeds of 50-60. logging truck went straight while the two cars verred off to turn on turn off to right. i instinctively shifted to left part of my lane (two lane highway) so all in instersection could see me. car approaching. car at intersection on left. pickup truck at intersection on right. the truck pulled out then once he realized i was there (no just following the cars was not accellerating). stopped and blocked middle of road. i had seen him and thought he was going to pull out so i didnt kick it up... now i hit the brakes and realized quickly that my rear tire locked up (was i useing enough front) and my rear end kicked slightly sideways to the left. so i squeeze more on front brakes and realized quickly there was not enough time to stop without hitting his drivers door. (again he was just stopped and blocking my lane and some of approaching. i quickly released the front brake and shoved hard on the handlebars to flick it to my right and passed around his bumper with about a foot to spare.... i looked in my mirror and realized he had pulled over and was waiting. so i turned around thinking...should i give him a piece of my mnd??? i pulled up and the man was almost in tears and appologizeing profusely...i wanted to talk down but he was very visibly shaken. so i told him to relax...try to be more aware...lucky it was me driveing and i knew how to handle it...where some younger kid may not have...and told him to please look twice... belive it or not i was not very shaken...i was more in critique mode of how i could have handled it better...more on front might have stopped me completely and not lock up back....either way....practice practice practice!!!:please:

That's some heavy stuff right there sir. I'm glad you great reaction time man, and glad you are okay:bowdown:. Its crazy you tell this story because for the first time ever since I've been in Florida, I had a car cut me completely off today to get to McDonald's:newburn:. I wanted to go back and have the mindset of telling this person off but I decided not to and just prayed on the way home:please:

Nice of you not to rip into him... Glad you pulled through that one okay! Hopefully he'll be more careful in the future...

Its amazing how fast you can think in situations like these. You probably had less then a second maybe 2 to make a decision. I find as long as you don't panic you can think faster.

So glad you are ok man... Great way to handle it... I too feel I wouldn't have be tactful enough to do as you did there. Either I would've not turned around or went off on the guy.

Either way... glad you're ok ... My hat's off to you

very amazing!!! seems to be happening a lot. Glad you were calm and didn't loose temper. Very Awesome. I think that guy will def be more careful.

dbf82 sorry to hear about your cutoff. They like to do that here for some reason. I haven't quite gotten it yet myself

Good you had a positive outcome and hopefully that other driver might turn that into a learning experiance and be a better driver now.

dbf82 - Get used to cars pulling out in front of you. They just dont give a **** about riders down here. BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Glad you're OK.!! Close calls like that one make us do a lot of afterthought.!!
I had a double pull-out in front of me last summer on my Harley. While I had both tires
squealing at the edge of losing traction, I was screaming NO NO NO at them VERY loudly.
They must have heard me and they both stopped in the middle of the road. I ended up not being
able to quite stop and zig/zagged between them. As I went through I yelled at them "What the **** is wrong with you"??
43 years of riding experience probably helped me thru that one.!!

Great save! Your ability to remain calm and practice all the good lifesaving techniques served you well! I have had a few like that myself. Like you said Chrisjp, if you do not practice these techniques in a controlled setting you will never know what to do put in a given situation.

People are so preoccupied with what is going on in their own little worlds, combine that with cell phones, texting, little or no driving experience, failing driving ability, GAF attitudes, the list is long and scary. Do not assume that they will see you or have the ability to judge your oncoming speed. Take responsibility for yourself!!!

Dang it, Chris!! Glad you pulled through that 'oh crap!' situation and way two busa thumbs up for at least considering his regret for the circumstances. One basic rule I continually hear repeated is, "Ride like the other person doesn't see you and everyone else won't give you a second thought when they do!" Good job, buddy! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Great save! Your ability to remain calm and practice all the good lifesaving techniques served you well! I have had a few like that myself. Like you said Chrisjp, if you do not practice these techniques in a controlled setting you will never know what to do put in a given situation.

People are so preoccupied with what is going on in their own little worlds, combine that with cell phones, texting, little or no driving experience, failing driving ability, GAF attitudes, the list is long and scary. Do not assume that they will see you or have the ability to judge your oncoming speed. Take responsibility for yourself!!!

+1000! :thumbsup:

i was surprised myself once i realized it was locked up and started skidding...as a afterthought it was sorta good it did because once i released the brakes i was already aimed to the side (right) i wanted to snap it to as it had the least amount to clear...but definatly made me wonder...why wasnt i squeezing harder...so once i did...it was...nope...aint stopping... go for the end around! it was definatly a near miss...

:bowdown:

I think its the "oh DANG" moments that are responsible for most new rider accidents. Sure a car may have been able to stop in your situation. A bike though may or may not have, but you knew that swerving to avoid and keep going was your best option. This is definately something new riders and exprienced riders should practice.

i don't know about you guys but whats crazy is last time i had something similar happen is everything went into to slow motion and it was almost as if i had time to think about everything as it was happening...strange, saved my hide though, glad your ok

Back