Stripped threads on the oil drain plug

Payne

Registered
Well I finally found out why my engine was making that terrible rattling sound. I consulted my buddy who's been riding for the past 35 years, he told me that I put in too much oil or my cluth is going off. I go to drain it just to be on the safe first, well I cant unscrew the damn thing.... then it lets go with bits of tread still on the screw....

How screwed am I? I just lost my job again so if its something more than $500 im out of service for the foreseeable future.

might be able to retap it and use a larger bolt.

Or use a Helicoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
A helicoil insert will work just fine. It is a good place for a helicoil since you can flush the pan out by adding motor oil to the engine. You will have to find the right helicoil for the drian plug threads. Any competent shop should be able to do this for you, reasonably inexpensive, about 30 min. of work. McMaster Carr, a mail order outfit which carries helicoils and thousands of other items, should have the right helicoil.

heli coil would be the easiest but you can find a oem used oil pan on ebay for less than a hundred bucks it is a pain in the ass to change though

heli-coil will work fine. I would remove the oil pan to do it. it will be easier to work on off the bike and won't have to worry about the metal shavings getting in the engine.

You can use either Heli-Coil or re-tap it for a larger bolt.
Yes, It's easier to do it with the pan off, but personally I would do it with the pan on and flush the
shavings out when done.
Good luck with your project Bro, I feel your pain on that one.!!
Here's hoping you get your job back too..!!

I just retapped a sparkplug hole on the head of a friends chevy wednesday,,I dreaded getting started on that job as well,,,once you get started and get into your zone[ groove],,you;ll be fine,,,Just try not to get flustered,,it only makes things worse,,Just put it in your head that it has to be done,,it helps if you have a friend there to help and keep you calm,,best wishes,,,look at the bright side,,,I'd rather fix a stripped thread in the oil pan,,than instaling motor,,its a blessing you caught it before any bad internal damage happened.

How hard is it to take off the oil belly pan? I got a guy who can do it, but im wondering if I can do it myself?

Hey Payne,

If you need help with the heli-coil install I can give you a hand, I might have the correct size in stock.......your friend Farr (Rich) has my number. I assume you are the guy he called me about looking for an oil pan.

Dan

This happened to me and I just retapped it for a larger bolt, works fine. Or helicoil it :).

New oil pan shouldn't be too much on ebay, maybe not "new" but good as.

Just FYI, I happen to be looking for a magnetic oil plug this weekend when I noticed that people like PEP boys have various different size drain plugs with built in tapping teeth, that might be a simple solution. Metric & imperial

How hard is it to take off the oil belly pan? I got a guy who can do it, but im wondering if I can do it myself?

it not that hard.take your time and be patient. since you know what u getting at, just take out everything in your way.

i stripped mine at around 3000 miles, i tried unsuccessfully to retap it, im gonna go for that time sert soon, but i used high heat thread seal and liquid gasket and have changed the oil twice since then with no leaks. Up to 7500 and riding strong

Back