battery related help....

m_ridgeway

pipeline trash
Donating Member
Registered
hey .org, just went on a ride and stopped for a drink and some fuel. got all that done, hopped back on and it turned over about half a turn then nothing. did that a couple times after letting it set for a min. got a jump. when it started, right when it hooked up, FI light came on. rode home ran fine, left it running to pull FI code, started idling really rough then died.

now it acts like it doesn't have enough power to fire the dash.

it cranked fine this morning and every time before. i had this happen one time before just the not starting but it was about a year ago when i first got it.

is there anything i should check before i just go get a new battery and try it. i tested voltage at battery and it was about 7.5. so i know that's not good, but if the charging system was bad, wouldnt it have ran bad on the way home?

my mods are bazzaz zfi+qs, afm, and thats about it electronically, no hids or any other add ons.

any help is appreciated and thanks in advance

matt

what year is your bike? I would check the rectifier. Could be failing as it heats up / over heats?

08 2400 miles.

how do you check the rectifier?

the battery has been neglected, which is why it wouldnt surprise me if it failed, ive had it a little over a year.

I've had batteries last me alot longer than a year but I commonly have a trickle charge hooked up to them.

The service manual gives step by step instructions to test the rectifier.

I've had batteries last me alot longer than a year but I commonly have a trickle charge hooked up to them.

yea thats one thing ive always needed but never did. im going to this time though.

It's not the rectifier, the bike wouldn't run (long) if that was bust. My VFR800 has a very similar problem and it is lessened by leaving the battery on a tender so I'm sure it's battery related.

Head down to Walmart and pick up an AGM battery and be happy. (I have my own gripes about Yuasa right now - mostly centered around them ALL failing on me but my Walmart specials doing just fine)

i checked the manual and its showing all low voltage like <3v. is what it should read. would a low batt affect the readings.

oh and i just check voltage at battery again its about 10v, turn key on drops fast to 9.5 then steady keeps dropping to about 7v.

Did you get a jump from a car or another bike? Jumping a bike off a car is a no no. The amperage in a car's electrical system is a lot higher than that of a bike and you can wind up doing serious damage to the electrical system doing that. If you're in a tight spot I guess you don't really have much of a choice, but avoid it if at all possible.

It's not the rectifier, the bike wouldn't run (long) if that was bust. My VFR800 has a very similar problem and it is lessened by leaving the battery on a tender so I'm sure it's battery related.

Head down to Walmart and pick up an AGM battery and be happy. (I have my own gripes about Yuasa right now - mostly centered around them ALL failing on me but my Walmart specials doing just fine)

i already bought a yuasa its on the way:laugh:

thanks though. im kinda sold on it being the battery but never hurts to check other things.

Did you get a jump from a car or another bike? Jumping a bike off a car is a no no. The amperage in a car's electrical system is a lot higher than that of a bike and you can wind up doing serious damage to the electrical system doing that. If you're in a tight spot I guess you don't really have much of a choice, but avoid it if at all possible.

no it was not off a car it was one of those jumper battery pack deals. and good looking out but i dont jump it off a running car anyway if i have to use a car. always kill it first.

:beerchug:

your battey is toast. Give it a full charge and see where the volts end up. I would at least make sure the charging output is within spec once the battery is fully charged or replaced. Hold the revs steady at say 4k and make sure there's more than 13.2v at the battery.

your battey is toast. Give it a full charge and see where the volts end up. I would at least make sure the charging output is within spec once the battery is fully charged or replaced. Hold the revs steady at say 4k and make sure there's more than 13.2v at the battery.

will do :beerchug:

Back