Disaster! Self Inflected "YES" "NO"?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Yesterday we had possibly the strangest crash ever in the history of two wheel fun. I wish I would have had my camera mounted on my bike. :banghead:

This poor stupid bloke and I exagerate the term "STUPID" because that's exactly what it was, crashed his ZX636 and ended up inside the flagger's shack extremely lucky to be alive although he was all fookered up.

The rider was riding on the brink of disaster and as the old saying goes, "Roll the dice long enough and they will eventually turn up snake eyes". Well, his luck ran out. Like John Hopkins once said, "Ride at 100% more than three laps and bad things are going to happen"!

He ran off the exit of a corner on the outside while trying to pass another bike, did the wobble in the grass/dirt and got her back onto the pavement while the bike was out of shape. The tires grabbed traction launching a vicious tank slapper while the bike was pointed directly at the flaggers station on the opposite (Inside corner) side of the track. The rider had no control of the bike at this point and was simply along for the ride.

Ended up hitting the tire wall so hard the bike exploded launching the rider some forty feet horizontally and fifteen feet virtically. The rider dead centered the flaggers station while airborne and body slammed the flagger knocking him a$$hole over tea kettle out of the flaggers shack on his back. No serious injuries to the flagger other than a barked up shin bone and a serious case of the shakes.

The rider came to rest inside the flaggers station. Luckily missing the entire support structure. The medics were quickly on the scene evaluating the situation. The rider was awake but had no idea where he was. His leathers were cut off, boots and all. One ankle appeared to be broken and was immediately iced. Upper lip was oppened up all the way through. First thought he had bit through his lip until I saw his helmet split in two pieces so I think the chin piece guard did the damage to the lip?

The helicopter soon arrived and made a hasty trip to Harborview Trama Center in Seattle. The last word I heard was he was being prepped for surgery. I have no idea the extent of his injurys but I do hope he survives.

So here we have a poor bloke who obviously let his balls overwhelm good judgment and common sense.

So I ask you, is this self inflicted pain and agony or is it an unfortunate accident? Keep in mind it's a track day not a race!

Once he heals up my guess is he will blame the crash on the rider he was passing not holding a line? Anyone wanna bet? :whistle:

While I hope he heals up fine, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever!

Last edited:
Fresh rider or seasoned guy going way too fast for his skill set? I imagine by your lack of sympathy it was the later. Hate to hear anyone getting hurt, but it's hard to feel bad for the folks that cause their own problems. :rulez:

I would blame it on an overabundance of testosterone... I'm sure glad I don't have that problem :laugh:

Hope the guy is okay though....

I didn't know the rider personally but he had a dedicated track bike with a race number but was not a registered racer. The race number on his bike belonged to another rider so I'm not sure if he purchased the bike with the number plate or what ???

He was not a kid, appeared to be late thirties? He arrived at the track alone with his bike in the back of an old S10 pickup. We loaded his bike, pieces and all into his truck and one of the guys who lived in his area took the truck home with him for safe keeping for the time being.

His fault completely. People like that ruin eveyrone's day, and take off someone else in the process. I could understand going into the grass. But being unaware how the traction changes going from grass to asphalt and gassing all the way through, and probably having a death grip on the bars - all this suggests complete absensee of thinking and common sense, not to mention concern for his/others safety.

I'm a little more forgiving than you guys I guess ... but we all make mistakes even stupid ones at times (some more than others). Some people ride for years and never seem to come off, you start to think your invincible, then it all goes wrong. I think everyone deserves a slap on the wrist before being wheelchair bound or dead. Sometimes it takes a coupla of big stacks for you to mature. Depends on the guys attitude when he gets outta hospital. I wish him well regardless :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I wish him a speedy recovery, but I'm with I.G on this one. Self inflicted trying to make a pass that from the sound of it was risky to begin with. When riding on the track with a group I don't know, I'll hang back and watch the lines they run for a while if I can't get a run on them down the straights. You can always duck into the pits for a minute and let them get ahead and out of your way. No reason to take big risks on a track day.

And the side point - you'd think the inside of the turn is the safest place to be... :poke:

Either way this is one lucky fella, not to mention the corner worker.

ouch! sounds like the guy was pretty lucky.

which group was it in?

Hard to place blame 600 miles away on the internet but I'm sure it was his fault in one way or another.

Was the guy doing questiononable things all day long?

Back