overheat

MAXNITRO

Registered
hi everyone *new* I purchased my busa -05- ( stock ) on -09 at the begining of the winter,it look and sound like factory, 12 k. on it. I start to use it know cos is geting warmer. but if you live in NYC sometime you will get stock in traffic,and I noted it was overheating.after reserch and all kind of test like change of coolant,bleed D air, removed the thermostat, put e togle switch to the temp.sensor , change nombers of blades, nothing work.but only get hot when am stock in traffic or idle.so common sense is telling my, >is not geting good air< so I went to D web. got my e -08 busa fan, installed and no more problema, no mater how long on idle or hot the wether is... no wonder this suzuki people start ading 2 fan 2 the busa. by the way that sound like a *RECALL* 2 my.

Yeah I know what you mean by the gen 1 overheat in traffic, I turned my idle down to about 850 - 900 rpm the book calls for 900 - 1100 I have not had a problem since. It will go a little above halfway but thats it. I have a fan from a GSXR1000 I am going to fit on the right side so I have 2 fans I just have not made the time to get it done.

Only problem with the low idle is sometimes after a hard acceleration when I pull the clutch and brake to stop she will die, but I am still rolling so all I have to do is pop the clutch and she crancks back up no problem.

Brother, we cant understand a word ur saying. I personally cant follow you. Please revise, or have someone that speaks english a bit better re-write it for us. We'd love to help...

He bought an 05 in 09 . It overheated . He tried numerous different things to fix it and nothing worked . Then he did more research and added a fan from and 08 and now no more overheating . He added now he knows why some put two fans on their bikes cuz it helps to keep it cool . Is that better guys ?

And :welcome: to the org . Happy you are now happy with your bike and no longer have heat problems .

English is such a powerful language when it is used, especially in conjunction with spell checker and punctuation.

He's right. Gen1 Hayabusas have a cooling problem in heavy city traffic 100%. At least mine does. I have an '07 bought new in '08. I had to have the cylinder head replaced by Suzuki last year with 5000 miles on the clock. Now with 9000 miles, I'm having the same cooling problems I was having last year and its back at the dealer Upstate where I purchased it. I have been riding the bike in Manhattan for the last two summers or parts thereof considering the downtime its seen. I have to mention that Suzuki paid for an entire new cooling system (radiator, sensors, everything external) as well. This was the NYC based shops first guess to fix the cooling problems (don't ask). I have a switch to override the fan thermoswitch and even with the fan running 24/7 it still cannot keep the bike from overheating in heavy traffic (i mean sitting and/or moving at 10 mph for 30+minutes) Now, Suzuki isn't promising anything which to me is crazy since it has been overheating since it was less than a year old with 5k on it. My guess is that Gen1 busas have a deficient cooling systems mainly in the absence of a second fan. I have also heard a theory involving the air intake sensor and the base of it heat soaking and sending false readings causing the bike to run rich and hotter. I feel like Suzuki should have done something about this a long time ago like back in 1999. Now its too late and a recall would be outrageous for them to pull off considering the Gen1s were in production for 8 years. It stays cool as ice at highway speeds in 95 degrees though. MaxNitro...maybe we can ride around NYC together and overheat our bikes. That would be fun huh?

Last edited:
Once it's up to temp, mine can only handle ~20 straight minutes in stopped traffic in 90* weather before it overheats. It's discouraging, my buddy's 07 is no better. Kinda surprising they let the entire run of gen 1 bikes out the door like that. At least they fixed the problem for the gen 2's.

Yeah it is discouraging especially if you don't have 13k to go drop on an '08. It doesn't seem right to me because it is a liquid cooled engine. The whole point is for it to maintain a stable temp in any condition and it can't do that.

It's GREAT NOT living in a big city :rofl:

3 Stop lights and I'am out of town :thumbsup: , then very little under 65 mph except through small towns ! No overheating even in 100 F temps (Uhhhhhhh, other than me :laugh: ) !!! I just LOVE IT :cheerleader:

Back