Ratty Busa Bikes, yech!!

bjewell

Registered
This is happening with depressing regularity. The Sierra foothills are infested with Harleys on the weekends. Everyone is spit and polish, like so many lemmings heading to the great ape hangers in the sky. Once in a great while I'll see a Hayabusa. And more times than I like the bikes are a mess.

Bald tires, scrapped up panels, dirt, dirt and more dirt. The rear fender has been eliminated and the replacement parts look like they are held together with gaffer tape. Funky stickers half peeled off dominate the fairing sides. The wheels are black with grime and brake dust. I don't get it -- one of the iconic bikes of the 21st Century treated like a third-owner '86 Honda motocrosser.

On Sunday, I saw a blue -- I think it was, but it was so dirty I could not say for sure -- and silver mid-2000 Gen I up in Plymouth at my favorite breakfast place, The Dead Fly Cafe. The tires were more than shot, the back tire was clearly showing the inner cording. The whole bike looked like it had sat out in the driveway since it was new -- and a driveway next to a cement factory...

My Harley riding friends say to me that Japanese bikes have no resale value and they all look like crap after a few years. Don't know its value, but mine looks pretty much like the day I bought it in 2007.

Seriously, why do so many riders let their beautiful Hayabusas go to the dogs?

Rant light off,

Tq
Sacramento

I try to keep mine reasonably clean. More importantly I keep it mechanically sound and the rim protectors are closely monitored. That said, I don't think it's a Shrine either, only thing it's good for is riding, not admiring. I'm happy if it gets me there and back . The only view of it that interests me is the one from the saddle. Don't care what it's worth after I'm done with it either. I'll ride it till I get my monies worth out of it, how ever long that will be and after that I don't care. Didn't buy it expecting anything out of it other than a Ride.

Of even less concern is what others do with theirs. It's theirs to do with as they please. It's just plastic and metal, a means to an end. Dirty and thrashed is more appealing to me than one that's fat, slammed, stretched and chromed with all the LED lights hidden over the place. Now that ridiculous.

Will be at the Dead Fly Fridee around 8am fo' a crumpet and a spot of tea. Been a while since I've seen you there.

i have been accused of mine looking dirty.... one i live in a trailer park with dirt driveway. 2 i commute daily for work...3...busy enough without having to bathe daily...pledged the other day...but it dont seem to be helping with the bugs...will have to redo and see

I ride the living piss out of my bike, but I do take the time to wipe the bike down, clean the rims, and clean/adjust the chain at least once a week. If you have time to ride, then you should have the time to clean/wipe the bike down.

Because it's just another piece of mass produced plastic and alloy ?
Mine has 10,000 dead bug's, a welded up frame, worn through belly pan
and 6 months flicked off chain lube.
"Them 'aint scar's....them's trophies"

They are a BRILLIANT riders machine.
Wasting my time to clean it to make others happy has little appeal.

(having said that, it gets tyre preasure checks, oil level checked,
chain lubed and adjusted and given a check over EVERY week,
You cant get out what you dont put in)

Last edited:
I'm saying this with a wink ya know and I understand that riding is what it is about. But at the same time, it's like having a beautiful wife and buying her birthday gifts at the Dollar Store... Just seems wrong... ;- )

Tq

You mean like this ... ??? :puke:

hayabusa-rat.jpg

I love my lowered, stretched slammed ride! JMO. It takes 10 minutes for a quick wipe down with honda polish and I'm ready to ride :thumbsup:

That pic that Kinto-Moto posted is a riot..!! :rofl:
Wonder where he got that back fender.!!
I tend to think a bike should be well ridden, but yet well taken care of and kept decent looking.
I guess I'm sort of middle of the road on this stuff.

I'm sorry, I know too well how much my bike cost to just rat it out. But I don't polish it religiously either.

It's like anything else. Some people take care of there house, cars, whatever....and some people don't. Some people wash there cars every week and take care of there stuff and some people don't. :poke:

Maybe you should start a poll to see how many people own a BUSA but don't have a garage to park it in... ???

It's like anything else. Some people take care of there house, cars, whatever....and some people don't. Some people wash there cars every week and take care of there stuff and some people don't. :poke:

Just like life, some people take care of it, enjoy every min. of it and make the best out of it. Then there are those (too many now) that just exist their way through with no pride or concern for anything :beerchug:

I love to have a good looking bike but I hate to polish. That's why my fairing parts are black. No chrome to have to tend to on mine. It's easy to wipe off and look sharp. Sometimes I curse the big beautiful front brakes because they make the front wheel a bear to clean.

My first reply to this site, it's good to hear your views. here in britain riding throughout the year in all weather and keeping your bike looking good can be hard. so i go for mechanically safe- the busa has done 52000miles and lives on the drive

Yep....for me it's done after every ride.

But hey....to each there own I guess. I worked waaaayyy to hard to not have her looking as purty as possible at all times.

+1000

Someone said if theres time to clean then theres time to ride, Ride then clean her up. Nothing wrong with having a little pride in your Busa

Yeah Im posting a pic

==========================================================

eureka misty.jpg

+1000

Someone said if theres time to clean then theres time to ride, Ride then clean her up. Nothing wrong with having a little pride in your Busa

Yeah Im posting a pic

==========================================================

*Homer Simpson voice* "Mmmmm Misty" :drool:

Back