2nd gear install now a bad noise! help?

woodrrow

Registered
A friend and I pulled the tranny, put 2nd gear in. Got the bike back together, cranked it up and now there is a loud knocking, or tapping sound on the upper right side of engine. Thinking this might be timing or a lose cam chain?

Any thoughts?

yea, and we started bike and adjusted it just to make sure and it made a different noise than the one that is a problem. So it's adjusted right.

Last edited:
umm, did the noise change with rpm or did it go away as rpm went up....
what all did u take apart to change ur gears? i just put my engine back in and im waiting on a oil pan gasket hope i dont have no strange noises but the timing shouldnt have changed unless u took the heads off?

Nope it stays. I've been pounding my head and looking through the manual and not seeing anything I could have missed. Its not a rod or bearing knock. It's like a valve tap almost. But more centered to the engine, very hard to centralize. This is the first problem I've ever had with a repair. I'm use to Yams but this thing is the same basically. Does bad timing give busa's this tapping.

My friend did the engine work for me, and I'm pretty sure he took the heads off. He checked timing twice though. We're gonna check it again tomorrow.

Yes it speeds up with rpms, it doesnt go away.

Is there a remote chance that shim under one of the buckets could have slipped out of place? The cam chain tensioner and most of its parts are a hard rubber??? I just looked though my manual & old pics of when I tore mine down and couldn't see much that could be out of place during reassembly and still allow everything to go back together

Final update. Noise fixed it was the tapetts on the valve stems. Read this and looked at the drawings and saw how the spacer were on the busas. I know one of the tappetts fell off during the teardown. Pulled the cams and started pulling the tappetts found one on the exhuast missing a spacer. Started looking on the floor and found it under the work bench. Reinstalled and she ran great other than a coolant leak on the waterpump. Thanks for the help.

Whats all that blue Yam logo stuff in this post:whistle:
JK Kev.... you know I luv yas and the d*&^ R6 thing you ride.....

Glad for you two that the fix is closer to done... Squid night approacheth....

Back