Safety Tip

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I know most of you Bros have been riding Busas a lot longer than I have, but here's
a safety tip that might save a nasty crash. I do a lot of my riding at or just before sunset.
When I'm riding with the sun behind my back, I realize that cagers have a hard time
seeing me if they're waiting to pull out onto the road in front of me. In this situation
when I approach an intersection where there's a vehicle waiting to pull out, I push
down the flasher button on the left grip assembly to flash the high/low beam lights.
I know it's just a little thing, but it increases the odds of them seeing me in the blinding sun.
Ride safe, have phun.!! :thumbsup:

I typicall push the headlight flasher anytime there's traffic that even has the remotest of possibilities of entering my lane. I also use the horn a great deal for audible warnings. I also wear high-vis neon green ballistic jacket, gloves, and helmet.

And yet, they STILL pull out in front of me from time to time.

Ride like you are invisible, because you are!!!

CW

Good tip, I do the same thing. I also slow down and cover the brake.

Not really sure flashing at someone that's waiting to pull out is a good idea. When you flash, it signals that you are letting them out.

Not really sure flashing at someone that's waiting to pull out is a good idea. When you flash, it signals that you are letting them out.

yes i agree , here in the uk they flash as a courtesy , a lot of eu countries flash as a means of oi im here

I have a problem with putting the high beam ON. Heck, I have a problem with putting the headlight ON at all. I keep it OFF most of the time there is a light traffic.

Here is the fundamental issue many riders overlook. Yes, the brighter headlight is more likely to be noticed by other drivers. However, the brighter the headlight, the harder it is to tell the rate of speed of the oncoming bike - and that's where other drivers make misjudgement. They see a bright light and think they have time to make a move - because the brightness stays about the same whether you are at some distance or pretty close.

I think for safety reasons, it would be more beneficial to have marker lights, so together with a headlight they make up a triangle. As the bike approaches the size of such a triangle increases which in turn give other drivers a good perception of the bike's speed.

BTW, when the headlight is OFF completely, other drivers may not notice the bike as quickly (a good idea to slow down when you see an oncoming car which slows dowsn or is about to pull out of the driveway). However, when they notice the bike, they can easily judge the bike's speed by observing the increasing size of the bike's frontal profile.

Well, I can certainly see there are two sides to the coin here and I genuinely appreciate
all views. In Ohio here, I had not heard about flashing your headlights to signal someone to pull
out in front of you. If that's the case then I guess I'll quit doing that. ???

Good idea, although here in South Africa flashing someone waiting to come into your lane is indication that you are giving them the go ahead to come out in front of u as u slow down. So might send mixed signals this side of the world:laugh:

Agreed. In NZ and Australia, that is an invitation to pull out. You would die, Captain Kanji.
I just ride around with my HID hi-beams on all the time; I defy anyone to say they didn't see those!

Old thread, I know, but what they said... Around here, flashing headlights means you are yielding R.O.W. You'd want to be sure about the local customs before using this technique.

Back