Daughter's First Bike Recommendation

el stumpo

Registered
So what do you guys think about getting a Hayabusa as a first bike for my 16yo daughter?

just kidding! :poke:

We (yes, me too) just finished the MSF BRC class and I'm thinking about getting her a bike (she wants one). :thumbsup:

I found a 96 Virago 535. Needs a tune up, fluids change and tires for $800. Bike has been covered/garaged kept and is next to perfect cosmetically.

I'm looking for opinions on the 535 as an easy to ride motorcycle vs say a Zuke S40 Blvd (another for sale for about $2k). Or experiences with a bike for a small (5'2" 115lb) rider.

Thanks!

We have the bases covered with riding safely, ATGATT, you're invisible, so I'm not looking for lectures. :rulez:

Hmm.. then I could ride it... hmmm....

:laugh:

That Yammy Virago pictured below looks like it would be a good starter....makes sure its not the 1100 version :lol:

Some of the smaller Suzuki Boulevards may be worth lookinto as well :thumbsup:

1351_0_1_2_xv%20535%20virago_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user_.jpg

+1 on the Honda Rebel 250.
The 535 looks like it might be a little high for her to reach the ground properly.
The Rebels are very popular around here with gals just starting out.!!
Just my two cents worth.

Willie's sister has a 2008 Ninja 250 with about 2000 miles on it for $1800(her bottom $). Were just outside of Asheville.

car show 099.JPG

Thanks for the responses (didn't mean to be snippy in that last one, forget the smiley :laugh:

I'm having a hard time beating $800 and she says it's 'pretty' :thumbsup: So I'm taking her tomorrow to sit on it with a check. If she can flat foot it, I'll drive it home. It was a little rough starting, but it's been sitting awhile :whistle:

I did see a new 2009 Rebel 0 miles for around $3k though

The VIRAGO 750 was my first cruiser and I liked it a lot so the 535 can be called its little brother. Hard to beat $800 for a starter bike so I say go for it!

Last edited:
ok, ok, funny.

Now back on topic - what does something think about the Virago 535?

My brother has two Virago 535's and I think it would do well as a starter bike. Might depend on her size, but the seat sits fairly low on his if memory serves me right~!~

Last edited:
I never recommend a new bike as a first bike. Even a cosmetically perfect bike may not be the best choice for the same reasons. There is a VERY HIGH chance the first bike will be dropped and you damage that perfect paint job, plastic.
A nice used bike in great mechanical shape that fits, for the right deal is sometimes the best choice in my opinion. Ride it one season and the rider has a better idea of what they want in a bike. They are then better prepared to handle a larger bike after a season than fresh from a MSF class. By the bike right and you’ll get most if not all of your money back when moving up.

The rebel is ok, but we have had far better luck out of the GS250 zuks than the Rebels. The 250 ninja is a very expensive fix when dropped, but the new (08 up I think) look nice. Most 500-750 cc cruisers work pretty good if the rider is up to it.

My wife road a 750 Honda Shadow Ace for 4 years and I sold it for about $300 less than what we gave for it. It was her first bike. She now rides a V-Rod.

250s are nice for like the first two weeks but as soon as she gets comfy it will get old quick . The 535 sounds like a great deal and bike .
I was gonna suggest an older interceptor 500 or older Ninja 600 or ex500 something like that that will scare her and keep her excited for a yr or two .
I had a friend who got his son yes granted he was a boy not a girl a ninja 250 for first bike and within a month it was old and son wasn't happy anymore cuz he had already pushed it to it's limits .

Back