Need some help with facts, ZX14

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Okay so I was reading through 2WT.com's magazine (June 2010) and there is an article there about the ZX-14 and how great it was and how it was the Fastest Production Motorcycle....

It's been a few years but I wanted to get my facts all sorted out....

If I remember correctly it was 1999 and the busa came out at 192mph?

The limit from the big 4 was in 2001?

If these dates and numbers are correct then am I reading that Kawasaki and 2WT.com are still competing for a race that has already been run?

I can see if they wanted to post they had the most HP or CC but how can you claim the top speed if your limited to 186?

help me,

CAp

i guess thier claim is how quickly they can get there?

Fastest motorcycle trophy is kinda a moot point at this point. There are too many varibles when you line them up. And who really cares? They are all so close.

Fastest motorcycle trophy is kinda a moot point at this point. There are too many varibles when you line them up. And who really cares? They are all so close.

Your not helping, I just want to know if my facts are correct.. If so then someone needs to send an email to that writer and let him know the race was over a few years ago...

+1 on what they said. I saw a dyno test between the ZX-14 and the Busa and the ZX
had a couple more horsepower, BUT they weren't taking into consideration the RAM-AIR
effect when the bikes are moving.!!
It all boils down to get what you like and are comfortable with and/or can afford.!!

I'd say that...it's no longer fastest, but fastest getting to the there, as previously mentioned.

I'm not writing a letter. I have too many other letters to write. :rofl:

Okay so let me do this a different way...

In 1999 what was the max speed of the unrestricted Busa?

When was the speed restriction to 186 put into place?

Your facts are correct, by the way Wikipedia is your friend.

Also, you should be ashamed, the OWNER of the Hayabusa.org site doesn't know this info? :whistle:

As far as I know the 300 KPH limit was a “gentleman’s agreement” among the Japanese manufacturers. Depends on who did the testing, but there may be a couple of Italian bikes capable of breaking previous numbers, although neither is mass produced.

As far as I know the 300 KPH limit was a “gentleman’s agreementâ€￾ among the Japanese manufacturers. Depends on who did the testing, but there may be a couple of Italian bikes capable of breaking previous numbers, although neither is mass produced.

Exactly Rick, so if the bikes are restricted to 186 because of an agreement how can a writer make a claim in a magazine that the ZX 14 is the fastest production bike? The race was over a few years ago... I think I will send him a note and let him know it :)

why do they still do it.... because it sells magazines. :laugh: Why did Kawasaki out perform Suzuki in that months magazine... hmmmm :laugh:

You are right about the gentlemens agreement, it was back in 2001 and hasn't changed since. Top speed really only counts if they're derestricted which I think is illegal.:laugh:

btw, the zx14 forum is up for sale. Would be nice to put these two families under one umbrella and settle the rivalry.

Didn't MV take a shot at the crown with the F4 312?

mvagusta.com links changed

I know MCN didn't get the full speed out of it in testing but technically wouldn't this be the current leader? Also we are forgetting bikes like the Y2K which is a) limited production b) way faster than all the bikes that have been mentioned here.

Also are we talking current leader or just bikes that have held that record?

why do they still do it.... because it sells magazines

Yeah I got that but to anyone that has been around awhile he looks like an idiot making statements like that....

So while I have you all here can someone tell me what is a TRE?

If you've noticed the magazine itself has had some serious cutbacks. It's back to being a pertty skinny mag. They've got to do whatever possible to shake the bushes. I agree though for the ones that have been around long enough it does make him come off a little none-educated. :laugh:

I wonder how many years span between each new motorcyclist generation? Could it be that the newer/younger crowd just doesn't know what has gone on a decade ago?

Back