Buying a bike with expired tag

itsyasoldier

Registered
Quick question. If I buy a bike with a expired tag do I have some kind of grace period where I wont get in trouble for riding it. And does the owner from which I am buying the bike have to get the tag updated before I buy it?

At least in OK, it has been my experience that is that if you buy the bike with expired tags, you are the one that gets to get them up to date, unless you have the owner do it before you buy. If you dont plan to buy the tags right away, keep the bill of sale with you.

your from ok right? id contact the dmv and see what the penalties are. at one time it was like .25 a day, so a little over isnt bad. but if it gets way over make sure he pays it. i believe if the tag expires say june 10, the penalties start july 10.....

and a ticket for exp tags is like 150 something around here.

could be wrong, but thats what i remember.

Last edited:
what state? best to call your local MV for the straight scoop! Either have the buyer get the tags current at his cost. Or you find out the amount from DMV and knock it off the purchase price.

Yes Im from Oklahoma. Im picking the bike up tomorrow morning so I just might see if he will cut some off the price or just take care of it tomorrow himself before I buy the bike. I dont want to get stuck with any outrageous charges seeing how the tag says FEB 10.

I would take the Vin and or tag # to your local DMV and see exactly what the fees due amount to, in Cali the fines, penalties and reissue fees can get outrageous and just keep multiplying over time.

I'd take the tag off; it belongs to the guy you're buying it from...or belonged. LOL

Have him sign a bill of sale...carry that with you...and make your best effort to get to the DMV ASAP.

Any vehicle I've ever sold, I've removed the tags.

in pa you have to do a transfer for the title and part of the process is what plates you are putting on it...cant continue unless you transfer thiers or apply for your own and get a temp

write down the tag number, they can tell you how much the fees would be, if they wont, make hime bring it current, then purchase.

and you will have to pay excise tax on the amount it was purchased.

i wouldnt remove the tags and drive it anywhere. get insurance first and bill of sale first, then ride down on his tags. and im pretty sure you will owe and penalties, im about 99% sure on that, unless you can provide receipts for repairs while it was down, and the only one they really will count is a huge wrecked amount, or engine replacement etc.

no matter what you will get a new style plate anyway, and ive never had them let me keep a plate before. they always would say i needed a new one, and charge the 3 bucks.

heres a couple links, but like i said earlier, call the tag office and tell them whats going on. they can give you a figure down to the dollar.

Motor Vehicle Question

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Title, Registration & Misc. Fees

Last edited:
Im so glad I dont have to pay 91$ for a registration fee. I only pay 5$ seeing how Im a "disabled vet". I always thought of disabled vets growing up as old men. Its sad that we have 18 and 19 year old "disabled vets" now.

I'd let him get it tagged !!

I've had 2 friends just get used UNTAGGED bikes, and 1 had a hard time getting it to pass inspection because all the mods, the other guy still can't get his to go through, his after market pipe didn't pass & neither did his undertail (something about the turn signals not far enough apart ?) But this was in DE

Last edited:
Can't use someone's old tag at all in this state.

Sounds like OK is a little different~!~

Check with your DMV.

Here in Georgia, the tag belongs to the owner.

New owner = new tag.

Here in Georgia, if the vehicle has not been registered their are no penalties as mentioned above. But you only have 30 days from the date of purchase to re-do the title.

If you do not drive it own the road (in the shop having major work/mods or repairs) all you have to do is change the title over. After the repairs/mods have been done (or before) insuree the bike and then tag it and ride it. No penalties on the previous owner or the new owner for no tag.

Don't have to worry about that in GA. Only thing they care abou in GA is rather or not if the vehicle has some typr of lean on the title (loan) If not You pay $38 and get your tag tranfered or a new one.:thumbsup:

Back