Valve Cover Gasket replacement directions

Howitzur

Registered
Hey guys, I fixed that Cam Chain Tensioner oil line leak on my 04 'busa. :thumbsup: But, Now I have discovered the valve cover gasket is leaking on the right side (h*ll, it coulda been this the entire time... :cursin:). On the valve cover, it appears to be leaking from the one of the two half moon shaped sections on the right side of the engine. I took off fairings this week and did several trips down the street in first and second gear and stopping several times to inspect. I keep seeing the same small stream of oil coming from that valve cover. I need some guidance and advice on replacing the gasket. My questions are as follows:

1. Torque Spec on the valve cover bolts?
2. Torque Pattern on the valve cover bolts?
3. Is it even doable via the top of the bike with tank lifted and air box, coils, and plugs removed? Does the engine need to be dropped?
4. Other then the items I stated in "3", what else needs to be removed/moved?
5. Any special tools needed? i.e. wobble sockets, extensions, Suzuki specific tools?
6. Lastly, is there any special tricks or methods that are needed in doing this as well?

I am not a mechanic, but have had extensive experiance with stripping 5.0L V8 engines, so I know my way around an engine. But, I also know when I might be over my head, so any advice or hand holding is appreciated! I'll be attempting this tomorrow morning if Suzuki has the gasket in stock. Thanks again to everyone's help so far.

Thx for the help turbo. Dealer wanted twice as much for gasket and they would have had to order it. So i bought online. Now just waiting. The shop manual has helped a bit.

Back