Re-use Wheel Bearings or Replace???

Munchie

Registered
OK gang, looking for advice here. I bought a set of stock K8 gold wheels from Takeuon looooong ago (Brian is gonna kill me for not getting these on already!:laugh:) but work has severely hampered my riding time - no complaints. :please:

Anywho, I'm FINALLY getting these things mounted and have a question for the all knowing Org. The gold wheels donated their bearings to Brians new wheels, but I have a little concern for transplanting the bearings currently running on my K8 into the gold wheels. I have ~4k miles on my ride and ask the questions...

1. Would you recommend ordering new bearings or would you guys transplant the running bearings already on the busa. The parts guy at the stealership gave me a quote of ~$105 for a full set of bearings and spacers but I think he had only been working there 11 minutes or so... ??? ...really not trusting that price. Also, the guy at the service dept said labor costs "would depend on how hard the bearings were to get out ??? and press into the other wheels.
2. If you were to order new bearings, any recommendations on a supplier? I'm not looking to wring out 6.7 nanagramapoundfoots of available thrust here...just wanting to finally get my gold wheels mounted , and not waste money to do it.

As a technician for Bosch, I've seen some bearing removals go smooth where I would expect the bearing to be "ok" to re-use :thumbsup: ...and I've seen complete destruction with a complete disregard to it ever working again...all depends on the person doing the work. :banghead:

These are stock K8 black wheels being exchanged for stock K8 gold wheels.

Any idea how truamatic it may be to the bearings in getting them out?

Flame suit...ACTIVATE!!! :hide:

Your old bearing should be fine to transplant.

On the other hand newer is better, and what do you plan on doing with the old wheels, If your going to keep them having them with bearings in them would be a plus and if you plan on selling them you might get a better price with bearing intact.

Soooooooooooo if you have the money I say get new and keep the old ones in your old wheels.

If I understand correctly... You have a set of K8 wheels and a set of gold wheels? I would leave the K8 wheels as they are, leave those bearings in them and have a spare set of wheels. Install new bearings in the gold wheels. Why pay someone else to press out and switch bearings and hope they are not damaged during the reinstall.

I am all for saving $$ and 4k miles is nothing on a set of bearings but you don't sound that confident in the shop in the first place. Get new bearings your not in a hurry, the gold wheels have been sitting around for a while already.

+1 on putting new bearings in the gold wheels and leaving the old ones in old wheels...BUT...
make damn sure you do NOT buy bearings made in a certain ethnic country..!!
They gotta be American or Japanese bearings.!!
Been there done that..!!

Back