Oil leak and more...

Howitzur

Registered
Just bought her a month ago from a private seller... 04 limited Busa. Aftermarket is Yoshi RS3 slips, PCIII, new OEM plugs, 11.5k miles. It started smoking today omw to work. I got there and noticed a lovely oil spot on the pavement. I dont know how to describe the heartbreak Im feelin atm. I took off the right fairing and discovered a mess in there. I assume the whirlwind affect inside the fairing threw the oil all around. I think I narrowed the leak to this thingy (see pics). I also noticed a rattlingish noise when driving. Its faint but sounds like a rumble. I also get blue smoke out the pipes. I had the a tech that I know check it out. Its some oil line that needs it crush washers replaced. Its wierd tho, It just started today. I havent taken this thing past 6,000 RPM's (Still squeemish on it) so I am at a TOTAL loss.

One thing the tech said would cause the blue smoke all of a sudden was the amount of fuel injector cleaner I put in it. I kinda sorta put the whole bottle in it... Ya ya, I know, I wasnt thinking. But, Any advise would be helpful. I live in the DFW area of Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

The first thing I would do is confirm that the oil is coming from that line. That is the oil feed for the cam chain tensioner.

Clean that area well and then start the bike up with the fairing off, then check for leaks.

just took the nuts off that fuel line and omw to get new crush washers. Would this lack in oil pressure on the particular line cause a slight knocking noise tho?

It depends on how much pressure was lost. I would just worry about getting the leak fixed then move on to the knock your describing. Many new owners describe knocking on these bikes and it turns out to be normal suzuki valve train noise.

Did you confirm that was where the oil was coming from?

I don't see anything in that picture of where the oil is coming from? Of course I am sure you know the large hose with the oil on it, that is the radiator hose.

Blue smoke could be caused by a couple of different things, one would be too rich. The knocking noise, you will have to describe a bit and how loud it is. I definitely would not ride anymore until I got that oil leak tracked down.

Don't be down hearted, it is probably something small.

I have a question when do you see the blue smoke while you riding or is only when right after you start your bike that it smokes, if your bike has low in oil pressure even if you see a little oil leak that does'nt mean that is necesary pressure, have her cool down check your oil level if you see where that leak is coming from takecare of it like you mechanic said it could be a injector,when your bike is cool off take the oil cap and start your bike you'll see if you try to cover the hole where the oil cap goes you'll see the i'ts got alot of pressure so the only thing that i can think is ajustment in the head valves that could be a reason for smoking too don't get alarm i am pretty sure is something simple.

God bless!

I got a new washer for the copper colored oil cam chain tensioner nut and put it all back in place. I started it up and let it run for approx 10 min with some 3000 rpm spikes. I did not see any leaks as of yet. I cleaned up what oil I could while I was replacing the washers. The Knocking is hard to describe. I hear it when I start moving, or when the engine has more stress on it then idling and revving. I cannot drive it atm due to the turd floater that seemed to pop up outa nowhere. I dig the hell outa this bike and would hate to see this $5000 bucks go out the tailpipe.

I did notice the blue smoke when the bike had been on and ridden for 30+ minutes. Im thinking the PCIII is prolly set too rich. So, shall I look up a map for yoshi pipes + K&N filter combo, or just disconnect it for now.

P.S. Y'all have been very helpful and understanding, I appreciate that.

Oil smoke is usually white, but it could be the oil leaking on the motor. If your exhaust outlet is dark black then it is rich for sure. What you need to do on your PCIII is download the software and put it on your computer, then download this:

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/312/maps/m312-ALL.exe

That is all maps for your model bike, plus european, etc. It is a map pack, when you download it and unpack it, load the following file into your power commander for your bike.

M312-012 Yoshimura Duplex full exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter

This should tell you if it is the map as this one should not smoke and be fairly close to what you have.

The knock sounds like a lack of octane or high timing. The PCIII had the ability, I am almost sure, to edit the timing tables. I know it did on my Harley, but could be different on a busa.

Once you get your oil leak fixed, check your oil level and make sure it is full, load this map on your PCIII and then take it for a spin. You may want to take some brake cleaner and spray the motor off when it is cool of course, to remove any oil on the engine. Don't be afraid to use it, that stuff dries quick and will wash the oil off. Just don't get it on your plastic.

I would say 98% of your problems will be gone after that.

When my oil cooler started to leak from the retards that put the full micron exhaust on wrong I had to replace the o-rings in the oil lines. It is an easy job. Hardest part is you have to get the wright o-rings.

Sounds like ya got a couple of different problems there. First thing I would do is find and fix your oil leak. Look at the most forward place you find oil and go from there. Once you get that stopped, run all your fuel out of the tank and fill up with fresh gas. See if it still has blue smoke without a ton of fuel injector cleaner in it.
I'll bet that takes care of it.!!
BTW, with a little experience you can tell by smelling the exhaust (in small quantities of course), if it's
rich or lean or just about right. A mixture that's overly lean will smell something like burned gunpowder.
A mixture that's overly rich will smell sickening sweet. A mixture thats just about right will have very little smell to it.
Good luck with your troubleshooting.!!

Heres an update: i went to suzuki and bought the three correct crush washers for the cam chain tensioner oil line. I discvered it was that line leaking when i popped it in first and held the front brake in to put a load on the engine as opposed to just revving it in nuetral (which it never leaked when revvig or holding at ~3500RPMs). I got off the bike and was just about to give up when i saw a small trail of oil coming from the picture ubove of that tensioner oil line.

I installed those crush washers and went to work. Im fixin to kick this bike over :(. It has a puddle of oil under it as i type. I bought a second set of those washers in case i needed them. So, when i return home this morning i am going to run a fine toothed comb over the actual hose, "banjo", and bolts for anything that would stand out. I am running out of ideas here. The two crush washers that go on either side of the banjo are simple copper washers, but the washer that goes to the larger brass colored bolt is a silver colored odd shaped one. It crushes easily under pressure.

When i installed washers, i did not have a torque wrench to use. I just turnedtill i felt the washers begin to crush, then i turned it approx. 1/3 turn. If me not properly torquing these be the problem, let me know asap! (if that is true, then ill need the torque spec for em plz)

OK, banjo bolts can be a real PITA to get sealed. I've had lots of problems with them.
I'm looking at my shop manual and the lower nut that goes closest to the motor is spec.
for 18 ft. lbs torque. The outer bolt is spec for 8.5 ft. lbs torque.
Sometimes you just have to play with changing around the washers until you get it to
quit leaking.
Good luck.

Thanks Kanji, Im gunna go check out the prices on a torque wrench for this thing. I am also going to use some permatex on all washers to be 100% sure. Im not going to gob it on, im going to use a small film of it just to fill in any pits or scars in the motor/bolts.

Back