About to change plugs!

NewbieOnBusa

Registered
Bike was giving crappy mileage/ slow start-ups and feel like loss of power. So i decided to change my plugs as the first step towards tune-up. Went to Kragen and picked up four new NGK CR9E and some anti seize and special tool to put plugs in.... Just got back after spending $31.00 bucks and just waiting for her to cool down so i can start on this project. Never done this kind of work before...any suggestions...tips...tricks you brothers wanna give me before i jump in? :please:

Will be posting pics soon...in about 2 hours or so...:thumbsup:

To pull them out, what I do is loosen it w/ the ratchet all the way and just reattach the black coil to the plug and slide it up.
When u put the new one on, after applying antisieze, attach it to the coil, drop it down, and hand spin it on to start it, then after a few threads, pull the coil up and ratchet it tight.

1. If you have a compressor, blow out the area where the spark plug is before removing the plug. Small stones and debris can get in there and fall into the engine when you take the plug out.

2. Take care when you remove the coil pack and boot. I unclip the wires at the connector to the coil, gently pull and twist on the boot to remove.

3. Check the gap on the plug, they are close from the factory but you may have to regap some of the plugs.

4. Don't overtighten the plugs when reinstalling.

Let us know how it went!:thumbsup:

Yes, absolutely do NOT forget item number 1. above.!!
If you drop a small stone or something of that nature down into the cylinder, you might as well
call a Priest to say the last rites on your engine.!!

ABOVE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING SAID ABOVE

DO NOT over tighten the plugs. This is a common mistake on the plugs and the oil drain plug. You will be VERY sorry you did if it happen.

Don't let that scare you, when you put new plugs in, they will start to feel snug barely and keep turning a bit. That is the crush washer that comes on them. Just be very careful and when it gets snug as in stops, that is about it. Do not crank down on them.

Make sure you get wire connector to coil all the way pushed back on and hear a click. if you dont you may get a red light on gauge and a 'error code' as well.
I found that out the hard way .

OOOMMMMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

First time i've ever done something like this... my back is hurting and legs are killing meeeee :stoopid:............. started at 1 and finished at 3

Just take your time is all I gotta say. It's not hard, but when I had to do it for the first time by myself it took me awhile. I worry about putting things back together the wright way and it takes me awhile the first couple times that I do something.

so here i am writing down the steps for other noobs like me

1 remove seat
2 remove two tank screws
3 remove 3 hoses on back and 2 connectors on each side on the air box
4. remove golden colored screw on the side of air inelet on both sides to loosen the intake connectors. Do not remove them.
5. remove the bolt in front that holds air box.
6. remove the air box.
7. remove the connectors from the coils.
8. make sure u use a spark plug remover/tool. i grabbed one from kragen 13.99
9. hold on a micro fiber cloth to cover the holes.
10. use a air compressor to blow some air in holes before taking the plug out. One plug at a time.
11. use a flashlight to double check if anything is there.
12. remove the plugs and replace them with new one and dont forget to put this paste/grease called anti-cease
put the plug in and hand tight it and then just a little force to put them in place. do not overtight.
13. blow some air in coils and wipe them out to remove any dust/dirt/junk
14 put the coils back in.
15 and one major part to make the process of putting air box back in. Loosen the golden colored nut on air box outlets and put a very small amount of oil on them to help it get back on the 4 big holes easily.
16 reverse the order of put the air box back.
17 dont forget to clean the airfilter and air box as you have it out already! I use air duster to blow some air in.

sorry about my lack of knowledge. This is the first time i have ever owned a bike and have done something to it.

Stuff i used:
Brake and parts cleaner
Air duster
Flash light
Tool to remove spark plug
IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

OOOMMMMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

First time i've ever done something like this... my back is hurting and legs are killing meeeee :stoopid:............. started at 1 and finished at 3

But don't you feel so much better now!:laugh:

Good job,:beerchug:

How does she run?

Bubba

One of the spark plug was looking weired and required some force to be pulled out here is the pic...... what is this suppose to mean
IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

Holy crap took u two hours??? I was done in 12 mins.....

It was my first time. I have never done something like this before. Hayabusa is my first bike and i had no idea what i was doing. All i did was ask some .org members and read the service manual and jumped in. I called two mechanics and both said they do not wanna do it. So i was like ..umm let me do it

Weird looking plug! Looks like it was baked in the desert sun for about 10 years!
I have no idea what would make your plug look that way, but home others may know.

CW

Back