Skin Cancer

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I'm not one to be telling people what to do, but being the sufferer of several skin cancers
caused by sunlight, I can make the following suggestion.
If you're fair complected, keep a tube of 30 or even 50 SPF sunscreen in the tail section
of your Busa. Before you go riding, put some on your neck, wrists and hands or anywhere
you're going to get exposed to the sun. It only takes a few minutes NOW, to save yourself
a lot of chemotherapy and agony later.!!
I also keep a hat in the tail section, so when I get where I'm going, I can have some protection for the old bald head and ears.!!
I'm going in for surgery in July to get a Carcinoma removed from the corner of my eye.
It's going to take two specialized surgeons to do the job, ending up in the operating room with the plastic surgeon doing the final work.
Just a word of warning to the wise.!!
Ride safe, have phun.

Hope everything turns out well...Thoughts and prayers with you...

Good advice. The 2 most important points on sunscreen are:

1. Use the right amount. A full-body application should take 1 ounce.

2. Reapply. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 90 min to 2 hrs.

SPF 15 blocks 97% of the sun's UV rays. Anything above that still works, but is getting to diminishing returns. So, use at least SPF 15, use enough, and reapply.

Good advice indeed! I hope all goes well with your procedure.

A guy at work was complaining to me recently about how his face and arms had gotten sunburned on a long ride. Queue the gear lecture... :banghead:

Hope you come through ok. Also there is an exp date on the tube. Make sure yours is in date I found out the hard way sometimes it won't work past the date.

I had a melanoma removed from the back of my neck a few years back. So I know how you feel.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

cheers
ken

Thanks KML. Unfortunately so many of us fair skinned dudes that love the sun are the ones that shouldn't be out in it.!! :laugh:

It was under the hair line and I've never been one for tanning. Being Scottish and having lots a moles were the major risk factors in my case.

Now I just have to do something about my cholesterol. :laugh:

cheers
ken

I survived a Melanoma, Stage 1 B, Clark level III. I feel your anxiety. Good luck.

My Dad has malignant melanoma...it's advanced and I'm still not 100% of the prognosis. I think he keeps what stage he's at quiet, and I respect that. His overall outlook is amazing, and I fight daily to just accept it all.

Thus far, in the last year, he's had surgery to remove the malignant tumor on his leg, had all the lymph nodes in one leg removed, had to have extensive reconstructive surgery, treatments (interferon) for nearly a year...petscan recently showed a second tumor near the first, and it's in his lungs. He's doing chemo now, still upbeat and handling the chemo well, but I urge everyone to take heed. The truly unfortunate part of it all is that his melanoma is likely the result of bad sun burns when he was a child, so for many of us, the risk is still there even if we take precautions now.

Make sure you keep your kids safe...

Good luck KK!!! Didn't mean to get on a soapbox here, but I figured I'd share what I've witnessed to further drive home to take the steps to avoid it if possible.

Keep us updated on your surgery!! Nothing but prayers for you :thumbsup:

im fair skinned and also a redhead, but what are the beginning signs of skin cancer?

New "sores" on your body that won't heal, or moles/freckles that suddenly change shape, size or color...if you're concerned about anything like that, go see your doc. Might be nothing at all, but it's better to catch it early; don't ever let it go...it's a lot more trouble if not caught early.

It was under the hair line and I've never been one for tanning. Being Scottish and having lots a moles were the major risk factors in my case.

Now I just have to do something about my cholesterol. :laugh:

cheers
ken
I'm a moley Scot too. About a year ago, I did a thread: "Grab Your Nuts":laugh:
Eating nuts 5days per week, will cut your risk of heart attack 50%. Nuts, esp
walnuts will lower cholestrol. Walmart has a Soynut butter, lighter and easier
to digest than Peanut butter, with lower fat. Also a delicious dark chocolate and
Almond spread. Neither requires refrigeration.

Back