where to start

kairles

Donating Member
Registered
Well tonight on my way home the busa died, I lost all power. when I got home I seen the gauges didn't zero out. so Im thinking its a fuse. I pull the tail and find this.

blownf10.jpg

I believe this is the main fuse? Now I need to find out why it blew. Where should I start to look? Is there a common reason that would cause this fuse to blow?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

yes I am.

bike has 27,xxx miles on it, HID's lo/hi, GiPro, bazzaz Z-Fi+Z-afm, intergrated tail light with additional led turn signals all wired to the factory black/gray turn signal plugs. thats it for electrical mods.

Does it blow a new fuse right away when you turn the key on with the lights and killswitch in off position?

I'd start to disconnect everything from the battery that isn't stock.
Check cables for wear and tear near/under the tank and around the ignition..
That's what pops up right away..

I was gonna tell you the same thing that Thyg0d said. I would start with all the aftermarket add ons first. Disconnect them one at a time and see if having that one disconnected will keep the fuse from blowing. If it's none of the aftermarket parts, start looking at all the factory wiring.

I haven't tried putting a new fuse in yet. the only thing connected directly to the batt is the GiPro, HID's are pluged to factory harness, blinkers also, and the bazzaz gets power from tail light. should I still disconnect them?

Also when I put in the GiPro there was a little oil on the wires under the tank. someone told me that it gets pushed through the stator wires, and I should use silicone on the it. anyone ever hear of this? It was very little oil on the out side of the plugs, in side where they connect was dry.

Fuse could just be old and blown. Put another in to see if it blows again
Posted via Mobile Device

just put i a new fuse, started the bike and had it idle for 2 min. then I smell something burning look back and there is brown smoke coming from the rectifier. I kill it and the fuse pops. looking at the wires none are burnt, but after I killed it the wires coming out of the rectifier were a little hot. this is an aftermarket rectifier, I still have the bad factory one so Im gonna put it on and see if it smokes too. unless this is a bad idea? what would cause the rectifier to smoke like that?

dsc02810.jpg

thats how hot it got, Im guessing thats what happened last night also. I didnt look at the bracket until just now.

Was it a Ricks Motorsports rectifier with the upgraded stator as well? If it is, I have an idea why it blew. Do you have a pic of the rectifier?

Last edited:
Woow... Things got hot there...
Something shorted out in the rectifier...
And if you upgraded that stator to make it put out more amps the rectifier couldn't take it and got to hot and some solderings probably melted due to insufficient cooling...

Anyhow, I wouldn't run the hid's in the stock harness though, when you flick the switch you have 8-10 amps passing thru the stock switch and that's almost twice the amps it was designed for.. I'd connect a relay to the switch and connect a seperate + & - cable to the relay..

I believe he is using the upgraded rectifier as well. If my guess was right and he is using a Ricks Motorsports stator and rectifier he may have a problem with the wiring used. I had a problem related to the stock wiring and plug that connects the stator to the rectifier. Here's what it looked like.
IMG_0492-1.jpg

IMG_0494-1.jpg

It is a rick's rectifier, but I have the stock stator. This is the second rectifier and it is about 10 months old. The first rick's lasted 5 months and they warrantied it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Back