DIY helmet visor tint

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
With the ridiculous cost of a tinted or mirror visor, why couldn't a person
buy a smaller piece of window tint film and apply it to ones clear visor.?
If an emergency arose where a rider had to use it for night riding, the film'
could always be peeled off and replaced later.
Clear visors are also very cheap to obtain, compared to tinted or mirrored ones.
What are your thoughts on this idea.??

Probably work, might not looks as nice though. I love this kind of stuff, I made my own tank grip with some rubber no-slip stuff I found at Ace Hardware for my track bike and I think it worked great. It doesn't look as nice as the Tech Spec stuff I have on the Busa but it seemed to get the job done at a fraction of the cost.

I have tinted my own visors in the past. It works fine. As far as removing easy to ride at night not so. You will have adhesive on the sheild making it almost imposable to see through. You may want to try it with the static film which is removable. I never tried that on a visor.

My local Yamaha dealer has a unit that you atach in the helmet as some of the newer helmets have the tinted drop down visor behind the clear. They are easily removable and come in various colors and darkness. I use the lightest behind my mirrored and smoked visor as if out at night i open dark visor and just look throught the second.

there is a piece that is sold I have seen it it goes on and peels right off for night ridding I forget the name and it is reusable

The tint idea seems like it could be done. The visor has a curved shape that is on one plane so that makes it easy. Just trace the film on the outside for a rough shape, clean the mating surface and use some soapy water to do the transfer. Most tints have a peel off layer over the adhesive side...and work out the bubles...dry with a hair dryer. It is one of those things that it easier said than done. good luck

i also thought about getting my clear shield tinted. however, $38 shipped for a genuine Shoei smoke shield was not too bad: NEW SHOEI HELMET CX-1V SHIELD HARDCOAT DARK SMOKE: eBay Motors (item 270579042083 end time Jun-13-10 10:25:17 PDT)

shoei_dark_smoke_shield_sm.jpg

What helmet do you have?

I get tinted shields for my HJC for $25 at Cycle Gear. Mirrored or Tinted - doesn't matter...

I use these neat little contraptions that go inside the helmet just behind the visor but still in front of your eyes.??? They're called sunglasses.:laugh:

Don't they have one that will change like glasses do? Gets dark in the day and clear at night. Seems like I heard of it at one time. Maybe that would be a way to go. I thought about getting one but I like waring my sunglasses so I can raise my visor to get some cool air at times.

Tinted Shoei visors are usually around $30-$40 and the mirrored stuff is $60-$80.

This is cheap in my eyes!?! I think clear visors are $20 or so.

I would say just wear sunglasses underneath the clear. You would end up spending more on the tint strips very quickly than it would be to spend the money on a good visor!

It should work, but if you have to ride at night the tint would make it a little hard to see and the problems that you will have peeling the tint and the left over residue makes it just not worth it.

i run a lot at night with tinted and mirror visors, and the best solution for me has always been HID's, no problem there and the tinted visors also help when HID's are coming your way

I done one several years ago when I was severly limited on $$$$. I used a spray can of paint that is made for lexan r/c car bodies and can be picked up at a hobby shop. There are/were a few different shades of it and it is actually called "tint" to do the r/c car body windows. It wasnt a factory tinted shield by any means but it didnt look bad at all.

Don't they have one that will change like glasses do? Gets dark in the day and clear at night. Seems like I heard of it at one time. Maybe that would be a way to go. I thought about getting one but I like waring my sunglasses so I can raise my visor to get some cool air at times.

Wiki Helmets make a shield like that for their helmets and I think the GMAX helmets. I have both a Wiki and a GMAX (With a normal smoke shield) helmet, loved the Wiki shield, never to impressed with the helmet though. I liked the graphic (The Tiki one) but the helmet seemed cheap, now the shield was awesome, my only complaint was that it never got really dark, but it was dark enough. On a ride about a year ago, I dropped the helmet and it landed right on the shield and scratched it all up. I never order a replacement and just switched to my GMAX which I did not like much. I just went to an ICON Airframe, but I must say I do miss the changing shield, I which Wiki made them for ICON, I would buy another one. (By the way, my little profile pic is my Wiki Helmet.)

Back