Harley's '05 LE Busa Rebuild

Harley0706

Registered
On all the other boards I am on I am used to doing a "build thread" so here is my Busa thread :whistle:

I joined the .org way back when I bought my bike new in 2005. I have always been a lurker on this board as for the most part I have left my bike stock since I bought it. I just liked to check in and see what people were doing and ponder what I wanted to do when I was ready to start playing around with the bike. From the day I bought my bike I loved this thing, never got sick of the look which is odd for me as I get bored pretty easy.

On March 6th, 2010 I was commuting to work here in downtown Kansas City, MO when an unlicensed, uninsured, illegal alien turned in front of me coming from the opposite direction. He didn't see me coming at all. I was doing about 40 MPH and had approximately 30 feet to stop. On the brakes hard I hit the side of his Chrysler minivan at a 90 degree angle between the front tire and passenger door. I was wearing my helmet, riding jacket and gloves like always. I walked away with a little rash on my ankle, knee, and a cut elbow.

My insurance agent really took care of me as far as getting me a fair price for my bike and a great buy back price. The frame was unharmed but the front end was tweaked, and the rest of the damage was mainly cosmetic.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

So now onto the rebuild part!

I found a shop here in the KC area that has been fantastic to work with, Smithers Customs out of Olathe, KS. These guys have gone above and beyond in my eyes.

I found a used front end off of a 2007 that came out of Iowa and picked it up for about $400 with the upper and lower trees.

Last night I picked up a top clamp from one of the board sponsors, Ball Z Motorsports to be able to lower the front end. Rear lowering links are being purchased from the local shop that will be installing the front end. I also grabbed a new stock steering stabilizer because it appeared mine lost all its fluid in the crash.

I had always wanted to stretch my bike out, always digged the look. So I picked up an extended stock swingarm that is PC'd black to match the LE frame. I swapped out the chrome extended chain gaurd for a black version. The arm is a 4-9" adjustable from All-things-chrome. I will probably set it around 6".

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Sorry to hear about the crash, but glad you are Okay and posting.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Bubba

Glad you are ok, keep the pics coming. Nothing but good things from Smithers. :beerchug:

I have to locate a new nose fairing as mine is a total loss. My left side fairing is in easily repairable condition, fairly simple blend job. I worked for Cuztom Cycle out of a small town north of Omaha, NE when I was in college and used to do custom paint work. I will get everything prepped and I have a facility to spray the panels. I also plan on doing a GSXR 1000 front fender but need to find some better answers on what year range works best (I am aware modification is needed).

I picked up a headlight for $75 yesterday on an auction that didn't get many views due to a very poorly titled/pictured description. I still need to get front blinkers. The left side mirror was broken so I plan on replacing the stockers with some early-2000 GSXR 1000 mirrors. I also need to replace at least one of the ram air tubes.

Left side bar end and lever is scuffed so I plan on upgrading to the Throttlemeister Black Heavy versions and undecided on the levers still.

Sorry to hear about the crash, but glad you are Okay and posting.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Bubba

Glad you are ok, keep the pics coming. Nothing but good things from Smithers. :beerchug:

Thanks guys! I am lucky to walk away like I did and can't wait to get back in the saddle. Going to take the opportunity to make my bike mine. Glad to hear others have good things to say about Smithers as well.

I am a civil engineer by day and do mechanical engineering on the side. So I work very closely with several machine shops and fabricators. I am going to work on making a couple pieces of my own for that extra little bit of fun.

Last edited:
glad you're OK. have you checked the CLASSIFIEDS here, someone is parting out an '07: Parting out complete 2007 Busa - Hayabusa Classifieds
best of luck and looking forward to the day when your bike is whole again. And you back in the saddle :cheerleader:

I have been going through the classifieds, and I actually just bought his Pazzo levers and Throttlemeister bar ends :thumbsup: as well as his spare nose fairing. The bottom line on my rebuild keeps getting closer to a desireable level.

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

Im glad that the Lord allowed you to not be paralized or dead,,,,,give him thanks and glorry,,,,,,Im glad that you can rebuild the bike,,,,

Im glad that the Lord allowed you to not be paralized or dead,,,,,give him thanks and glorry,,,,,,Im glad that you can rebuild the bike,,,,

Glad all is ok. BTW - I have a set of mint stock cans avail.

Thanks guys!

I actually want to take this chance to put a 4-1 on the bike. I am ready to have some rumble. Been looking for either a Yosh, Hindle or Muzzy system. Any tips on the best place to get one or leads on excellent condition used systems let me know.

Glad that you are good. :thumbsup: I have a set of Yosh RS3's slip-ons if you're interested. If you do go 4-2-1, Brock's is the way to go. Short Meg or Alien Head.

Last edited:
Glad that you are good. :thumbsup: I have a set of Yosh RS3's slip-ons if you're interested. If you do go 4-2-1, Brock's is the way to go. Short Meg or Alien Head.

I definitely want to do a full system, I do appreciate the offer though. I have gone back and forth on the Brocks systems. The Alien Head system has grown on me (appearance), but I get the impression they are extremely loud. How do they compare to other systems? I always hear that the D&D are dumb loud.

Sux about your accident. Glad to hear you are OK...

As far as pipes go, I LOVE my Gen 3 brocks pipe. Throaty, but not overly loud like the meg or alien head. Fit was perfect, best I have seen on the pipes I have installed. Tsukigi makes a nice pipe as well, but the one I owned I could not install the belly wing, which I wanted on there.....

Sux about your accident. Glad to hear you are OK...

As far as pipes go, I LOVE my Gen 3 brocks pipe. Throaty, but not overly loud like the meg or alien head. Fit was perfect, best I have seen on the pipes I have installed. Tsukigi makes a nice pipe as well, but the one I owned I could not install the belly wing, which I wanted on there.....

The Gen 3 looks good, the price is still right there with the Alien Head. Exhaust has been my biggest hanging point so far as far as making a decision! :banghead:

I also need to confirm exactly what year GSXR 1000/750/600 mirrors I need to order. I believe they are the '02+ range (I don't recall when that year style ended). I am looking for the slim stalk mirror to help clean the front up. Never been a huge fan of the rubber boot on the Busa mirrors.

Good Luck with the Rebuild. Smithers will take care of you. I trust that shop to be straight up with you at all times. Great people. And gotta love the bike nights they have the first Tues of the month. Free burgers and hotdogs and drinks. One of the shops that will let you back into the shop area and actually see whats going on. and his 600hp busa is pretty freaking cool too!

Back