Fork set up

03busaman

Need for Speed
Donating Member
Registered
Well I decided to just drop of the bike to the dealer to replace the fork seals and wipers.
I felt a difference when I rode home yesterday is better than it was but want to tweak it some more.
How should I check the set up they did when it was put back together?

There is no reason to change the settings when replacing fork seals. Are you sure they tinkered with them? You can always go back to the factory settings if you have doubts and go from there.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to suspension settings. Dave Moss has a video set you can purchase that goes into great detail on suspension and how to set it up.

Go to SportBikeWrench.com to buy. Put "tufbusa" in the discount window for a discount and you are on your way to better understanding suspension and overcoming the fear of making adjustments on your own!

There is no reason to change the settings when replacing fork seals. Are you sure they tinkered with them? You can always go back to the factory settings if you have doubts and go from there.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to suspension settings. Dave Moss has a video set you can purchase that goes into great detail on suspension and how to set it up.

Go to SportBikeWrench.com to buy. Put "tufbusa" in the discount window for a discount and you are on your way to better understanding suspension and overcoming the fear of making adjustments on your own!

Thanks tuff, I def noticed they changed the settings cause I am so used to looking at those little gold screws staring at me for the last 7 years

Made a convert / knob twiddler outta me it did!

There IS the possibility they didn't change the settings. When they re-installed the forks they can
put them back in just any old way and then turn the lower fork leg to line up the brake brackets
with the brakes and wheels. The chances of the screws being lined up exactly the same way
they were are VERY slim.!!

to check settings you can just walk all of your adjusters back to zero and count the clicks/turns it took to get there.

There IS the possibility they didn't change the settings. When they re-installed the forks they can
put them back in just any old way and then turn the lower fork leg to line up the brake brackets
with the brakes and wheels. The chances of the screws being lined up exactly the same way
they were are VERY slim.!!

:stupid:

There's no reason what so ever to fiddle with the settings when servicing the
forks.. The difference you feel could be due to new oil or oil with different viscosity.. I wanted more damping so I put in 7.5 oil instead of the 5 oil..

Thanks tuff, I def noticed they changed the settings cause I am so used to looking at those little gold screws staring at me for the last 7 years

Just because the little gold screws seem to be in a different position does not mean they have been reset. All that means is when they re-installed the forks the alignment is not exactly the same as before they were removed. The upper tube may be turned any place up to 360 degrees from thier original position ie the screws being visually in a different position.

I'm sure they never touched the adjustments. There was no need for that.

Ok back to zero then ancient Chinese rule #1 just cause they didn't have to touch the adjusters doesn't mean they didn't right :whistle: I'm just saying:whistle:

For you to get the correct feel,its best to start from orginal settings.Than from there start adjusting while riding from twisties to straight roads.For city riding it can be softer but not for high speed.You need to ride and stop to adjust from time to time to get the perfect setting suitable to you most.Good luck

Is the feeling in the forks better or worse?

Way better so now you say if it ain't broke right
I think before with the leaking I was feeling them bottom out.
Now stiff so better than hitting bottom

Back