I bought a GPS....now what?

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
I am so not a techie, but everyone swears by their GPS. So Costco had a sale and I bought the 1390T,but it doesn't have a headphone jack and it doesnt let me make a route. Or am I using it wrong? I want to plan my route on the GPS,but it just has a "where to" not " customizable" so I can look at my map.figure it out, then plug it into the GPS.

How do I make it so that it isn't always taking me on the highways? It's kinda a pain in the azz. A friend and I went for a six hour ride yday, I had the GPS in my tankbag and I just kept pulling out my good ol' mapbook.

I don't want to sit at my computer first, map out my route,THEN put it on the GPS. Did I buy the wrong model? Is it possible to have an Iphone,run music through the GPS so I can hear it in my helmet,and answer a phone call.

Thats what I want to do. I am frustrated with this thing.

Not familiar with it ... try the links at the bottom of this review:dunno:

Garmin nuvi 1390T Review (GPSmagazine.com)

I thought most people used Garmin or Tom Tom

You were talking about the Garmin 1390T ???

If this not a motorcycle GPS unit make sure you keep something in case you need to protect it from the elements I don't think the one's made for cars are waterproof or resistant..... didn't read to much about the unit feeling a little lazy today :down:

Last edited:
There are so many GPS units, all so similar,I read the reviews ect but I can't figure out how to make it do what I want.

I know this sounds stupid but did it come with instructions these things are pretty much idiot proof I'am a testament to that :rofl:

There are so many GPS units, all so similar,I read the reviews ect but I can't figure out how to make it do what I want.

Did you read the instructions ??? I usually start playing the menus an find what I need..... As for it taking you through the highway that would be under preferences ... make sure its set to car rather than pedestrian....:laugh:

an set it for shortest time instead of most use of freeways.

I did go on the provided link GPS review, it was very good by the way, but nothing is telling me how to build a route, or can I make the gps give me an alternate,secondary route,ie, backroads,not just highway,highway,highway...

The best way to make a route is on the PC in Mapsource. If you don't want to do that then use a map. Making a route on the GPS is a pain, can be done, but it's time consuming, just use a map.

GPS is good for getting you point to point or telling you where your at and whats near by. If you want to run specific roads you need to build a route in Mapsource first and transfer it to the Nuvi. You pretty much need to know where you want to go and how to get there to use the GPS, unless it's just A to B or having it route you home.

First go to preferences and set the map detail to MOST. If you touch the display on the map screen you can zoom out and drag the map across the screen. Put the cursor where ever you want to go and hit GO. It will route you there. Problem is you can't choose the roads and as you zoom out you start losing map detail.

You can also set Via points in order to make it route to an in between point first then on to the destination. That way you can force it to route in a direction you want to travel and get it to avoid the freeway(maybe). Problem is you still can't pick the specific road you want to take.

There are not any useful instructions from Garmin. You just have to start playing with it and Mapsource to "Discover"(kind of like figuring out a new level in a video game) what it will do and how it works.

Yeah they are frustrating, plan on spending several hours in Mapsource before you even have a clue as to how it works.

As for the playing music and bluetooth, some will some won't, need to have one with and SD card to store music and pics in the GPS. Go to Amazon for a decent comparo of different models.

I am so not a techie, but everyone swears by their GPS. So Costco had a sale and I bought the 1390T,but it doesn't have a headphone jack and it doesnt let me make a route. Or am I using it wrong? I want to plan my route on the GPS,but it just has a "where to" not " customizable" so I can look at my map.figure it out, then plug it into the GPS.

How do I make it so that it isn't always taking me on the highways? It's kinda a pain in the azz. A friend and I went for a six hour ride yday, I had the GPS in my tankbag and I just kept pulling out my good ol' mapbook.

I don't want to sit at my computer first, map out my route,THEN put it on the GPS. Did I buy the wrong model? Is it possible to have an Iphone,run music through the GPS so I can hear it in my helmet,and answer a phone call.

Thats what I want to do. I am frustrated with this thing.

Hahahaha.....do what I did, get a hammer.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but ...
Did I buy the wrong model? YES
So Costco had a sale and I bought the 1390T. Finding a GPS on sale doesn't make it a good deal.
It doesn't have a headphone jack and it doesnt let me make a route. Features that the 1390T doesn't offer.
Or am I using it wrong? Nope, you just bought the wrong model for the features you're looking for.
I want to plan my route on the GPS, but it just has a "where to" not " customizable" so I can look at my map.figure it out, then plug it into the GPS. Again, wrong model for the features you're looking for.
How do I make it so that it isn't always taking me on the highways? Basic models like the 1390T are very limited in navigation functions. It's where to and do you want the fastest or the shortest route? There is the "Avoidances" option where you can tell it to avoid highways, tolls, u-turns, farries...
It's kinda a pain in the azz. Of course it is, it's not built with the features you want.

I don't want to sit at my computer first, map out my route,THEN put it on the GPS. Even if you did, this is not an option with the 1390T
Is it possible to have an Iphone,run music through the GPS so I can hear it in my helmet,and answer a phone call. Yes, but not with the 1390T

Thats what I want to do. I am frustrated with this thing. Take it back and save up for the model that you really want. Like the Garmin Zumo series, made for motorcycling. I have the Zumo 660 and yes, it was expensive, but it has all the features you wanted from the 1390T.

I'm very happy with mine, it has less features, goes dead at will and takes me to Kansas every time,,,and I live in San Diego. Who could ask for more?

wow sorry, can't help ya.
i have a garmin nuvi 350. shes a little bossy but works good, and has mp3 built in. got her for $70 at the pawn shop. easy touch and go features.

The best way to make a route is on the PC in Mapsource. If you don't want to do that then use a map. Making a route on the GPS is a pain, can be done, but it's time consuming, just use a map.

GPS is good for getting you point to point or telling you where your at and whats near by. If you want to run specific roads you need to build a route in Mapsource first and transfer it to the Nuvi. You pretty much need to know where you want to go and how to get there to use the GPS, unless it's just A to B or having it route you home.

First go to preferences and set the map detail to MOST. If you touch the display on the map screen you can zoom out and drag the map across the screen. Put the cursor where ever you want to go and hit GO. It will route you there. Problem is you can't choose the roads and as you zoom out you start losing map detail.

You can also set Via points in order to make it route to an in between point first then on to the destination. That way you can force it to route in a direction you want to travel and get it to avoid the freeway(maybe). Problem is you still can't pick the specific road you want to take.

There are not any useful instructions from Garmin. You just have to start playing with it and Mapsource to "Discover"(kind of like figuring out a new level in a video game) what it will do and how it works.

Yeah they are frustrating, plan on spending several hours in Mapsource before you even have a clue as to how it works.

As for the playing music and bluetooth, some will some won't, need to have one with and SD card to store music and pics in the GPS. Go to Amazon for a decent comparo of different models.

Yes, I thought so. this is what I didn't want to do. Since, no, it didn't come with instructions. I will take it back and buy a couple track days instead. There. Fixed.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but ...
Did I buy the wrong model? YES
So Costco had a sale and I bought the 1390T. Finding a GPS on sale doesn't make it a good deal.
It doesn't have a headphone jack and it doesnt let me make a route. Features that the 1390T doesn't offer.
Or am I using it wrong? Nope, you just bought the wrong model for the features you're looking for.
I want to plan my route on the GPS, but it just has a "where to" not " customizable" so I can look at my map.figure it out, then plug it into the GPS. Again, wrong model for the features you're looking for.
How do I make it so that it isn't always taking me on the highways? Basic models like the 1390T are very limited in navigation functions. It's where to and do you want the fastest or the shortest route? There is the "Avoidances" option where you can tell it to avoid highways, tolls, u-turns, farries...
It's kinda a pain in the azz. Of course it is, it's not built with the features you want.

I don't want to sit at my computer first, map out my route,THEN put it on the GPS. Even if you did, this is not an option with the 1390T
Is it possible to have an Iphone,run music through the GPS so I can hear it in my helmet,and answer a phone call. Yes, but not with the 1390T

Thats what I want to do. I am frustrated with this thing. Take it back and save up for the model that you really want. Like the Garmin Zumo series, made for motorcycling. I have the Zumo 660 and yes, it was expensive, but it has all the features you wanted from the 1390T.

Those Zumos are WAAAYYYY out of my price range,and they are tiny, I need a big screen.

+1000...that about sums it up right there.

Good luck!

Also, look for them on eBay or in the classifieds here. I sold a GPS here a year or so ago...new in the box...for cheap.

Good luck, bro.

One additional item a GPS will give you is your true top speed and speed of advance...vs. what your speedometer says/what you can remember...and it's all downloadable.

Anyway, again; good luck!

Did I buy the wrong model? Is it possible to have an Iphone,run music through the GPS so I can hear it in my helmet,and answer a phone call.

If you have an Iphone and it is 3G, you can download software to your phone that will do everything, the new GPS can plus more. See if you can take it back.

Right now the Zumo 550 is the best GPS for the features, price, compatibility with autocom, and mounting to a motorcycle.
Anything else you will have to compromise.
If you use a GPS to navigate while moving and you do not have audio turn by turn in your helmet, you are asking for trouble. Looking down at a gps while moving will end in disaster.

I have the TomTom One and it works for me. Got it for $100 bucks off ebay. I manufactured a mount so it fits under my windscreen to keep it from getting wet.

Back