2001 busa

TEJ

Registered
i have 60,000 on my 2001 stock bus- has been great- lately i'm getting what seems to be a fouling plug at low rpm's, comes and goes, above 4000 rpms all is fine-
also, is kind of clunky upon cold startup, smooths out after it's warmed up- something tells me that is clutch realted?
one more thing- even after bleeding them, both front and rear brakes remain spongy, any hints?

hey and welcome to the org.:welcome:. wow 2001 all stock? im not sure about what the problem is. im sure someone will have an answer. Have you owned it since 2001 or did you just pick it up. busas do make some noise on start up and in general. took me a while to get used to that as well. smooth she aint. mean she is..:laugh:. have you had the valves checked lately. that might be part of the problem if you have a little too much rattle. not sure how that would be clutch related really. could be wrong though. as to the plug issue. im not sure. you might have to describe the problem a bit more. with the age and miles you could need to replace vacuum lines or maybe have the injectors cleaned. As to the brakes, maybe the lines just need to be replaced assuming the pads are good to go.

lets see some pics too. :rulez::beerchug:

When was the last time you had the throttle bodies synced? If you are absolutely sure you have all the air out of your brake lines, your lines could be expanding causing the spongy feel, replace them with oem rubber, or upgrade to steel braided lines. Check your pads also, do they need to be replaced?

When was the last time you had the throttle bodies synced? If you are absolutely sure you have all the air out of your brake lines, your lines could be expanding causing the spongy feel, replace them with oem rubber, or upgrade to steel braided lines. Check your pads also, do they need to be replaced?
+100 I would do both.

If your TPS is off, the idle will be crappy. Switch to dealer mode and see where the dash is. Should be in the middle. If it's not in the middle, follow the manual how to adjust. All you need is a screwdriver and a fine touch. The difference is unbelievable when it's a bit off and compared to when it's spot on. Also, when the bike warms up, the idle should be around 1200 RPM. If it's noticeably lower, it will run like crap no matter what - so you have to adjust your idle first. I personally like to set idle at around 1500 RPM.

Poorly synched throttle bodies result in hunting idle, i.e. instead of staying constant, it goes up and down a bit, especially at lower RPM.

If you didn't touch the brakes recently and you noticed they feel spongy, and assuming your brake fluid levels are OK... There is only one component which can give in - rubber brake lines, especially if you never changed them. Get rid of them and install steel braided ones. The feel will be a lot better and no sponginess. And while you are at it, put in a synthetic brake fluid (DOT 3 & 4 compatible) - I think it will last a lot longer than a regular one.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
:welcome: I would check with some of the sponsors they have great prices on steel up grade lines. Breaks are too importaint to skimp on.

Back