Need HELP stuck 4000 miles from home 5/23/2010

Sidebike

Registered
We are 4,247 miles into a 10,000 mile trip on a 03 Hayabusa with 47,046 miles and the bike has run great until four days ago when it started stumbling under throttle. Anytime accelerating briskly or under load the bike will stumble and jerk. Before leaving the valves were checked and all where in spec, oil & filter was changed, K&N filter was cleaned and re-oiled, throttle bodies were syncronized and new plugs were installed. While doing this work the intake boots were visually inspected and there were no cracks or other damage. In attempting to diagnose the problem, the plugs were inspected finding all four to appear lean (as well as the ends of both pipes). The spark plugs were replaced with new ones with no effect on the stumbling. The fuel pump was removed and the screen was cleaned (very dirty). The fuel filter was removed but the local dealer did not have one in stock so contact cleaner was sprayed into both openings and reinstalled. No change in running was noticed. The bike was taken to a local m/c shop on Saturday who checked compression (good), the fuel pressure to the throttle body rail was checked and found to be 44.1 psi (good). The bike shop said we could bring it in on Tuesday but they are at a loss as to what could be causing the problem but would try again. The bike is running so lean that we are afraid to ride it and are stuck 4,000 miles from home and running out of money and days. Has anyone ever experienced this problem or have any suggestions as to what might be the problem. Thanks in advance for your help. Doug

We are 4,247 miles into a 10,000 mile trip on a 03 Hayabusa with 47,046 miles and the bike has run great until four days ago when it started stumbling under throttle. Anytime accelerating briskly or under load the bike will stumble and jerk. Before leaving the valves were checked and all where in spec, oil & filter was changed, K&N filter was cleaned and re-oiled, throttle bodies were syncronized and new plugs were installed. While doing this work the intake boots were visually inspected and there were no cracks or other damage. In attempting to diagnose the problem, the plugs were inspected finding all four to appear lean (as well as the ends of both pipes). The spark plugs were replaced with new ones with no effect on the stumbling. The fuel pump was removed and the screen was cleaned (very dirty). The fuel filter was removed but the local dealer did not have one in stock so contact cleaner was sprayed into both openings and reinstalled. No change in running was noticed. The bike was taken to a local m/c shop on Saturday who checked compression (good), the fuel pressure to the throttle body rail was checked and found to be 44.1 psi (good). The bike shop said we could bring it in on Tuesday but they are at a loss as to what could be causing the problem but would try again. The bike is running so lean that we are afraid to ride it and are stuck 4,000 miles from home and running out of money and days. Has anyone ever experienced this problem or have any suggestions as to what might be the problem. Thanks in advance for your help. Doug

I'll go for the simple thing 1st..it's a 7 year old '03 busa...same as my beloved Slver/Gry Oren Ishii....check your t-body-t-body vacuum lines...they're 7 years old...dry, cracked..vacuum lines..would cause air leaks and lean condition..hope that helps..L8R, Bill. :cool:

PS: can be illusive...lines can look good until you start manipulating them with your fingers to expose the dry cracking of the lines..check thoroughly..l8r, Bill. :cool:

+1 on Jinksters comment but i will also add to check your spark plugs and make sure all are tight and properly torqued. I changed my plugs about 2,000 miles ago. It ran fine for almost the whole 2,000 miles and then all of the sudden it started doing exact same thing you say is wrong with your bike. Exactly. If one of your Spark plugs is loose it will make it skip and stumble and act exactly as you say your bike is doing now. There are several very nice , very knowledgeable folks up where you are and all should be willing to help an org brother out.

Hope it works out for you..
Vacuum..lines were mentioned...there are alot of them...Pair valve/ airbox/t-bodies/
Oh just had a light go off.....Make sure the gas tanks vent system is not blocked or plugged up......just a thought.. good luck

Welcome to the org... is there a power commander or any programmer involved?

Any list of mods?

where are you? maybe there are some local members here on the .org and or better shops around that can help you

If you're around the northwest get a hold of. Goldenchild , he's sponcrr and I'd in Portland Oregon .

If you are in wshington call me 253 576 5539 . By the way this is not a good first post but welcome anyway . Hope it works out for you

Last edited:
Might be good idea to list where your at?

Just curious what does the MPG say on the computer when you were running?

Thanks for all the responces. We are currently in Monterey California and the great folks at Monterey Peninsula Sports Center were the ones that worked on it on Saturday and said they would attempt again on Tuesday unless we could figure out the problem before then. The bike is stock except for Yosh slip on pipes and a K&N air filter. There is no power commander or other programmer. Per suggestions we checked the plugs and they were tight, all vacuum hoses were checked and found to be in good shape with no cracks. This is a tough one, any other suggestions? Thanks, Doug

Another thing check with the dealership on checking the throttle position sensor to make sure it is sending proper signal back to the ecu.

Bring it to my dad in San Luis Obispo and he'll get it running. The guy is a genious. PM me and he'll do it off company hours to save you money. We also have spare injectors if it is indeed an injector issue.

Lol, that sounded amateur...sorry. My old man is the lead tech for San Luis Motorsports and is very knowledgeable. He does all their serious gremlin issues. He is 2 hours south of Monterey.

Last edited:
put the hose on the little sensor on back of the airbox,be sure sensor on bottom of airbox is hooked up..is the fi light flashing at all?

put bike in nuetral and see if it will rev to redline line without stumbling,if not note rpm it breaks up at...

Back