To many "dumb" people in my town.....

berryman

Registered
:rant::deadhorse:I'm just blown away by the amount of "dumb" people in this town. There is a big HD dealership in Wabash and a bunch of bikers were hanging out there on there bikes in the parking lot. 99% of them in tank tops, shorts no helmets, no gloves. My wife just told me she saw some guy in that attire with a 10 year old dressed the same way on the back of it. I just hope law enforcement see's him! I'm sweating my balls off in leather, gloves and a helmet...just hoping none of them wreck.

I'm guilty, but no to that extent. I'm fat and i just can't stand wearing my leather icon jacket. So i ride in t-shirt and shorts with helmet and gloves. I'm ashamed of myself. I know it's like putting a rubber on halfway. I just can't find a jacket that fit's me comfortably for the warmer weather. I'm sure one day I'll pay for it.

Two days ago, there was a guy in Gaithersburg riding a Honda CBR600 wearing a helmet, T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. That's all.

I'm guilty, but no to that extent. I'm fat and i just can't stand wearing my leather icon jacket. So i ride in t-shirt and shorts with helmet and gloves. I'm ashamed of myself. I know it's like putting a rubber on halfway. I just can't find a jacket that fit's me comfortably for the warmer weather. I'm sure one day I'll pay for it.

Have you tried the Joe Rocket Phoenix line of mesh jackets? They come in tall and xxxl sizes. I'm 6'5" and 250 and I find the XL tall comfortable and it will provide more protection than tshirts. :beerchug:

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Last edited:
I'll take sweat before road rash any day... It's just not worth it...

If you need the motivation, just google road rash and look at a couple pics and vids...

It's not just your town my brother...It's everywhere.
To each their own, "Stupid is as stupid does". It's actually quite funny as my 6 year old calls these people out in public with no shame. Wonder where she got that from????? Her mother probably:whistle:

Just today there were 6 cruisers some with passengers some without in either shorts, short sleeves, no helmet, no gloves, flip flops, sneakers. Passengers dressed the same way.
3 sport riders with helmet on, shorts, and tank top. One actually made me a little more at ease. He had long sleeves, timberland boots, and helmet, and wouldn't ya know it he had on his gloves too. Wasn't a jacket but at least it was long sleeves.

if your not going to wear gear on your arms, legs, torso, and feet, :poke: why wear a helmet?

skin is soft! i always wear more leather than a cow. i have learned to melt while looking cool.:rofl: and after a month with a GOOD helmet on, don't think i'll ever ride without it again.

I hope I don't get that way (ride with no/minimal gear). I used to when I was younger but like to think I'm past that. I see ppl here all the time too...riding with helmet, shorts, t shirt and flops. Thank goodness I have 3 buddies who wear gear, it will help me to keep doing it.

Met up wit some friends of a friend for a half day ride. Was a hot summer day two years ago. We introduce etc. and one guy says aren't you hot in that jacket? I says no not terrible, it's perfed. He had a helmet and a t shirt on. Some time later a bicycle rider cuts across in front of our group as we were accelerating from a stop.
He was in the lead and slammed on his rear brake, started to slide (medium cruiser) and then let off suddenly. I was second from the back of 5 riders and saw his bike tumbling, impacting, parts flying off, and him launched through the air aka superman. A classic "high side". As I walked up to him, he was laying face down in the road not moving, helmet shield was broken and he looked dead. He survived with two fractures and spent a few days in the hospital but the road rash was quite a sight, the t shirt was shredded. His bike was totaled, and he quit riding. One thing is certain; "hell will freeze over and the little devils will be ice skating" before I ride without a jacket. G/L.

I just picked up the Icon Hayabusa Mesh Jacket. I'm on the chubby side myself and feel your pain. This jacket has armor and flows air great.
Icon Hooligan Hayabusa Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Busa dave take a look at the Tourmaster Air Intake II series of jackets.
They come with 2 liners. I wore mine last yr when it was low 40s and rode for an hour on the Hgwy . With both liners out it is very comfy.
I also wore mine last yr thru end of summer on days of 90+ degrees and equal humidity. If it works for me here in South Florida it should be fine for you in Pa ?
No probs and no worries mate..:beerchug:

Tour Master :: Textile Jackets :: Intake Air Series 2 Jacket

Berry,

I can certainly see what you are saying and I am not saying I disagree with you. However, I have rode since I was 4 years old, 35 now. My attire is helmet, gloves (fingerless in summer), t-shirt, blue jeans, and tennis shoes.

I have wrecked once back when I was a teenager and just got scuffed up a bit, nothing bad. Should I be wearing more gear? Yea no doubt. I tell you though, it gets so damn hot I don't think I could stand it. That is they joy of riding, the wind on your skin, the open air.

If I am covered up so much I can't move, see, or hell, enjoy myself there is no sense in me riding. Anything can happen and I have said this before, if you are going to plan for the worst it is probably going to happen. If a car blind sides you in an intersection, no amount of gear will help you.

Again, you are right, I am not disputing that, I just can't do it.

:rant::deadhorse:I'm just blown away by the amount of "dumb" people in this town. There is a big HD dealership in Wabash and a bunch of bikers were hanging out there on there bikes in the parking lot. 99% of them in tank tops, shorts no helmets, no gloves. My wife just told me she saw some guy in that attire with a 10 year old dressed the same way on the back of it. I just hope law enforcement see's him! I'm sweating my balls off in leather, gloves and a helmet...just hoping none of them wreck.

Is this just a comment or are you looking for more heat friendly gear ???

It was one of our members here a few years ago if my memory serves me right, that went for a ride one evening after work and always wore all his gear but it was so hot on this paticular evening he chose to ride with a pair of lofers. He hit a deer at 70 mph and tumbled. He ended up with both ankles crushed. A year later he still could not walk. He lost his job, his house, everything.

Was his one and only crash of his long riding career. Bad things happen when you least expect it. Go prepared or stay home is my moto.

I've crashed a number of times and from the looks of my leathers, I'd be a scared up mess if I wasn't prepared. Wearing protective gear is a matter of choice. It's my choice as well to giggle at the poor bloke that is all barked up like a christmas turkey that fell out of a delivery truck. I have no sympathy for folks that think they will never fall. Some don't but most who ride do!

Back