I solved the 'cracklin' problem in the audio capture on GoPro camera

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Well after a few tests and still testing I believe I have it figured out.
Anyone familiar with these cams knows that the sound capture records 'cracklin' in the audio.
The waterproof door makes a muffled sound but still has 'cracklin' and the open door also captures 'cracklin' in the audio.

I had the waterproof door left over from its adventure down I95 so this is what I did.

I drilled three small holes in this door on right side close to where mic is on camera.
Then I placed a couple cotton balls inside housing and now no more cracklin.
You have to make sure you do not cover mic inside on camera with the cotton balls.
The cotton seems to 'soak' up the reverb inside of case and makes the 'cracklin' go away.
The three holes still allow for sound to get in so it is getting close to what I'm looking for .
Still a bit of high pitched whine though ?

Tell me what you think.

gopro w.cotton balls 002.jpg

gopro w.cotton balls 001.jpg

gopro w.cotton balls 003.jpg

Last edited:
Ken if you look at pic with lid that I drilled 3 holes in you can see the rubber pad.
When you close the case this rubber pad pushes onto back of camera so it does not move. Also when you put camera into case the lense fits into lense on case again not allowing it to move.
So no the camera cannot move inside case when its closed.
Just that there is space around cam in case and I think the sound waves were bouncing around in there causing the crackling sound.

interesting. so your adding the cotton as a sound buffer.

I've got one of thos camera's but as you can tell I haven't plaid with it much.

interesting. so your adding the cotton as a sound buffer.

I've got one of thos camera's but as you can tell I haven't plaid with it much.

Yes I put cotton in there to stop the sound waves from bouncing around inside case.
I think this is what was causing audio to constantly 'crackle'.
Almost everyone I see dubbs music over the video.
While this is nice and makes for great vids I like to hear just the sound of bike sometimes.

I have the same and it does vibrate inside the case, just a little, but enough.

I used 5 sheets of post-it notes that I trimmed to fit on the bottom of the case. That was just enough to keep the camera tight against the top of the case and no more rattles. The post-it note glue keeps the paper in place nicely. It's a little more difficult ot get the camera out, it doesn't just fall out, but the sound quality makes up for that.

Yes Pandanin I'm still experimenting with things but so far a cotton ball or two seems to be working.
I'll have to try a few post its as well.

Any ideas on how to get rid of 'whine' ?

Cool idea; you would just have to remember the case isn't water proof anymore. I may have to experiment with this as I know the crackling sound you are talling about!! BTW I read on another forum this morning that Costco is now selling the non HD GoPro wide for $99 (without sunction cup hardware). Thanks for the idea and pics!!:thumbsup:

gopro1[1].jpeg

Paderolis at first I drilled 3 holes that were so small water would not 'drip' thru as the surface tension from the water did not allow it to pass thru holes that small but the sound was still not too good . Of course to dip it in a bucket no matter the size would allow it to pass thru. So I made them bigger as you see.

Yes Pandanin I'm still experimenting with things but so far a cotton ball or two seems to be working.
I'll have to try a few post its as well.

Any ideas on how to get rid of 'whine' ?

I think only option to remove 'whine' is divorce :laugh:

have you tested what happens when you mount the cotton on the outside of the holes. This would help to ensure that it's the sound damping of the cotton and not related to a tighter fit inside the box. Just curious... wonder if a small wedge of opencell foam would do the same trick or dampen the sound to much.

i would put ear plugs in the holes...all it does is reduce noise level... and that high pitch wine is based on vibration...notice it goes up and down based on rpms.

You could also try some weatherstripping found at a hardware store, I would guess the open cell type would work the best as it's more "squishable" than the closed cell type. Might help from having to drill holes in the case. You should still get decent sound without drilling, I can hear some wind noise in your video. I use a small piece of scotch tape placed directly over the mic which quells the wind noise but still allows normal sounds such as the engine or voices (when stopped obviously) through.

have you tested what happens when you mount the cotton on the outside of the holes. This would help to ensure that it's the sound damping of the cotton and not related to a tighter fit inside the box. Just curious... wonder if a small wedge of opencell foam would do the same trick or dampen the sound to much.

i would put ear plugs in the holes...all it does is reduce noise level... and that high pitch wine is based on vibration...notice it goes up and down based on rpms.

You could also try some weatherstripping found at a hardware store, I would guess the open cell type would work the best as it's more "squishable" than the closed cell type. Might help from having to drill holes in the case. You should still get decent sound without drilling, I can hear some wind noise in your video. I use a small piece of scotch tape placed directly over the mic which quells the wind noise but still allows normal sounds such as the engine or voices (when stopped obviously) through.

NO...NO...AND...NO...
BUT IT GIVES ME SUMTHIN TA DO...:laugh:

drool drool drool... i want a gopro....

want to impress my friends with my high speed camera and my commuter strips(word of the day)

Back