Swingarm RE-installing with issues?

BigRod1300

Registered
Ever have a great CENTER swingarm, then pull it off, pull the bearings, have it re powder coated, and new bearings put in. Re install the arm all goes good...untill you walk behind your ride to see that the tail and tire center is NOW 3/4 off center ( and to the chain side at that )???

Well that is my problem. ANy thoughts? I have since pulled the arm back off twice to check axle spacer did NOT get swapped side to side ( both the same ), checked the pivot section...all good ( bearings, bushing, dust cap, ect ). It does seem to have some slop between the frame rails. NOW I dont mean sloppy slop, but I can slide the arm right to left on the pivot bolt about 1/8 to 1/4 inch...? Pivot bolt not re torgued AGAIN yet.

YES IM running a 330 OSD and stretched 9 over, but how the heck can I be center for 2 years and now be off center to the left from my tail. Checked tail section all good and inline.
ANY THOUGHS..PLEASE?

Umm, Id be askin you if my fat tire set-up was off:whistle:

I assume you measured the bearing width, old and new the same width?

Is everything straight? All your 90 angles still 90? Maybe the heat from the welding of the new piece moved it a bit, or the heat from the Powder coat?

Could you post a pic? maybe some other eyes can pic out something you've over looked?

I don't know anything about swingarms but I did learn when I had things PCd that the PC is about 3mm thick !
Could the thickness of the PC itself be throwing things off ?

Umm, Id be askin you if my fat tire set-up was off:whistle:

I assume you measured the bearing width, old and new the same width?

Is everything straight? All your 90 angles still 90? Maybe the heat from the welding of the new piece moved it a bit, or the heat from the Powder coat?

Could you post a pic? maybe some other eyes can pic out something you've over looked?

I put my large framing square on the neck of the arm adn the left rail is outward to the left by 1/16 to a 1/8 inch with one foot to go from the end of my square. THe right side is VERY good, cant ready any thing off. THe bearings where direct Suzuki bearings and all look good for alignment in the neck with the width of the neck ( duct cap, bushing, bearings, inner center sleave, ect).
YEa I did some light welding on the left side but dont see how that made enought heat to warp both side main structural support sections of the arm?

Thinking about strapping and pressing the frame rail back to a tru 90 with the neck..???

DSC00841.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

How goes it Rod? As I look at the pic it looks correct, just to the left as if it were suppossed to be there. The only other idea I can think of is take it all apart, and reassamble it one peice at a time, not tryin to remember how it was, rather building it how it seems to go together, get it?

O-I got it figured out. The heat cycle of welding the new brace on the left side of the arm.....ARM SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN A JIG!!!!! It actually bent the rail from pivot neck back to crossbrace and also bent the crossbrace moving the left rail.
The arm is now in route to KOSMAN to tweek it back correctly, redo the bracing, and make me an air tank IN the arm. SUCK with the new turbo and now im DOWN time for about 4 weeks.

that blows...wait..thats a supercharger...but at least you got it figured out...

O-I got it figured out. The heat cycle of welding the new brace on the left side of the arm.....ARM SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN A JIG!!!!! It actually bent the rail from pivot neck back to crossbrace and also bent the crossbrace moving the left rail.
The arm is now in route to KOSMAN to tweek it back correctly, redo the bracing, and make me an air tank IN the arm. SUCK with the new turbo and now im DOWN time for about 4 weeks.

Glad ya got it figured, to bad it had to be sent out for the fix, bummer

Back