Can Yuasa YT12A-BS be topped up

corrcullen

Registered
Have a Yuasa YT12A-BS in my 2002 Busa, I have owned the bike over 2 years, but I dont know if the battery is the orignal one or been replaced before I bought the bike.
It seems to be struggling to start the bike the last few times I tried it.
Bear in mind that I only ride the bike at weekends, but as soon as I get off the bike, I take out the battery and put it on the Optimate charger until I get the green light and its fully charged.
So the battery gets treated very well.
I know this battery is a sealed lead acid type, but I see there are 2 caps on either side of it, and a long strip.
I wonder if any of these can be open to check to see if it needs to be topped up?
If not, what battery would you guys recommend please?

have the battery load-tested at your local auto parts store. if is fails the test, then get a new one. hard to beat YUASA!

Ok I have removed the "Do not remove" strip, and I dont see any electrolyte inside, so I wonder if I top it up a little with distilled water, would it help?
Or would topping up with sulphuric acid be better?

Last edited:
I think if it's mainenance free you are not supposed to top it up with anything - they likely contain special gel.

If this is NOT a maintenance free, then feel free to add distilled water ONLY to the correct level (but don't overfill). Acid does not evaporate, only water does.

i would suggest a new battery...if you get somewhere and the battery says ok this is the day i quit you dont want to be stranded...a few bucks now save a big pain in the ass tomorrow..:laugh:

OK think I will just go with a new battery so.
What battery would you guys recommend, Yuasa lead acid again, or some of the gel batterys?

You can try pashnit Motopack battery i think.I have tried YTZ14s the life span is worst than stock.

Go for the Blackbird battery, Yuasa YTZ12S, it's a bit taller but fits and its a gel battery. That's what I have and it's lasted 2 years so far. Need to use a battery tender if you only ride at weekends though.
BTW, good to see another Irish man on here....welcome.

Last edited:
Go for the Blackbird battery, Yuasa YTZ12S, it's a bit taller but fits and its a gel battery. That's what I have and it's lasted 2 years so far. Need to use a battery tender if you only ride at weekends though.
BTW, good to see another Irish man on here....welcome.

Cheers
Went for the YTZ14S, so should be a bit more powerful again, its not a gel I dont think, its a sealed lead acid type.
Got it in Dublin for 78 euro, its made by Euroglobe, the Yuasa was gonna cost 145 euro, so should be ok.

All motorcycle and auto batteries are lead-acid. None are gel (but gel are also lead-acid).

The best motorcycle/auto batteries are AGM, which has the acid Absorbed in a Glass Mat and they have no removable caps to add water. They are more vibration resistant and they self-discharge at a lower rate -- both good things for a motorcycle that's not used daily. Plus AGM batteries are sealed -- unless overcharged.

Some flooded batteries also have no caps. Maintenance-free is used to describe both these flooded batteries and AGM batteries.

If your battery doesn’t slosh when you shake it, be happy -- it’s an AGM.

Back