How many years a battery lasts?

IG.

Registered
Mine is 5 years old, and I am thinking it's time to get a new one so this one doesn't fail on me in the middle of nowhere.

What's everyone's take on it? Are you just waiting till it dies, or replace it after a certain period of time?

Personally I have always waited, my stocker lasted me just shy of 7 years, with a bike its so easy to bump start if you had to. Typically people get 2-6 years so you are getting pretty good life so far. Question, do you charge your bike?

Personally I have always waited, my stocker lasted me just shy of 7 years, with a bike its so easy to bump start if you had to. Typically people get 2-6 years so you are getting pretty good life so far. Question, do you charge your bike?

2-6? thats a big spread.

my first bike i kept using the engine kill switch and they should call it a battery kill switch... alwasy leave the key on and it killed the batt in 6months..
replaced it with a wally-world battery.. still going 3 years later(battery tender) :thumbsup:

Mine lasted 4 years and 41,000 miles. It was still good just on its way out. If I was in traffic when I cut it off I would have to roll it off. I also have power commander, autocomm, gps, mp3, LED and strobe LED.

Papi, please elaborate. Why would the kill switch kill your battery?

The kill switch kills the engine and the battery keeps the electronics on till you turn the key off. However, I normally use the kickstand to cut mine off and was still able to get 4 years from the battery and the new one has been on for 5 months. I am thinking he had a weak or cheap battery to start with or he kept leaving the key on:poke:

Thats a loaded question. it depends of the temperature, usage, charging cycle. I usually see about 2-3 years.

IF...
  1. it's an AGM battery
  2. you keep it on a smart maintenance charger, like Battery Tender Plus
  3. you don't let it discharge significantly (like leaving lights on when parked)
  4. and it avoids a lot of itme in blazing hot places like Phoenix and Vegas
then you should get at least 8 years.

I just change mine every 2 years :rulez: , been there (night time in NO WHERE VILLE) done that. Not going to do that again (that is, have a battery go out in the WORSE place and TIME) :laugh:

A very cheap price to pay for NO WORRIES :beerchug:

Yes, I do. I mostly ride on weekends. I put the bike either on maintenance charge, or on normal charger depending...

Papi, please elaborate. Why would the kill switch kill your battery?

haha.. cause the noobie with the BRC card in his pocket was too cool for school.. and i would kill switch the bike and forget to turn the key to OFF..

lights on and NO BODY IS HOME...

Okay, I'll cop, I have no idea how to access the battery on my '07. I assume it must be somewhere under the seat? Sheesh, I feel like such a numbnutz...

I just change mine every 2 years :rulez: , been there (night time in NO WHERE VILLE) done that. Not going to do that again (that is, have a battery go out in the WORSE place and TIME) :laugh:

A very cheap price to pay for NO WORRIES :beerchug:

+1 I use Battery Tender on my bikes and have gotten as much as 6 yrs. but will never push it that far again. While Battery Tender really takes care of the battery you should perform a periodic voltage check to make sure that is it holding at least 12.6v. If it is less than that you should consider replacing the battery. On a trip last year I knew I was pushing my luck with the battery in my '02 HD and sure enough got up to Paso Robles and she wouldn't crank in the AM. Jumped and it recharged on the road and I replaced it as soon as I got home. 2-5 yrs. is the expected life of a lead acid battery but I will never let it go that long again...no matter how proud I am of seeing all those little green lights on my Battery Tenders!

For all those that said it was easy to push start can you explain your method in detail? I haven't had to push start a bike before and this could be good info to know one day. :bowdown::thumbsup:

For all those that said it was easy to push start can you explain your method in detail? I haven't had to push start a bike before and this could be good info to know one day. :bowdown::thumbsup:

Forget it unless you are parked on a long hill! I have tried it and the Busa is one heavy MF unless you have some intrepid soul that wants to push you around a parking lot or up and down the street. :rofl:

I just called the AutoClub and had them give me a jump. :beerchug:

Back