Curious about HP numbers?

III

Registered
I've never had my bike dynoed before, nor have I ever seen one ran, but I'm curious whether torque ever gets measured when dropping the clutch? Is there any difference between that and straight throttle RPMs, in terms of measurements?

Last edited:
The Dyno with give you a graph of Both Hp and Torque. Is that what your asking ??? ?

When the clutch is released, even very fast, it will slip until it the rear wheel catches up to the rest of the engine and tranny. That will cause the torque output to be lower than it would read if you got the rear wheel rolling at idle and hammered the throttle. The clutch in the later would already be locked up.

Usually your clutch is engaged and the bike is sitting idling in 1st before the test is run. The clutch should be fully engaged at this point. The tourque is always being measured and if you broke the time scale down to a finer scale you would see it blip down. Usually you shift so fast that the blips don't register.

You get the most accurate dyno readings in a higher gear, preferably one with a 1:1 trans ratio to eliminate additional parasitic loss.

Also, most of the dynos everyone uses just measure horsepower. The wheel is a given diameter and weight, you're only measuring a change in speed. A measured acceleration for a known mass is translated into horsepower. The torque is back calculated. That's why a dyno without an RPM pickup for your engine cannot provide a torque number, but the horsepower measured is accurate.

Most dyno's Ive seen give both numbers but I need to get mine printed Torque is what gets you going and is just as important as horsepower :laugh:

You get the most accurate dyno readings in a higher gear, preferably one with a 1:1 trans ratio to eliminate additional parasitic loss.

Also, most of the dynos everyone uses just measure horsepower. The wheel is a given diameter and weight, you're only measuring a change in speed. A measured acceleration for a known mass is translated into horsepower. The torque is back calculated. That's why a dyno without an RPM pickup for your engine cannot provide a torque number, but the horsepower measured is accurate.

Horsepower is actually calculated from torque. Torque is a measure or force while horsepower is a measure of how quickly the torque is applied.

Back