Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

trev0006

Registered
Video - Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Institute researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their nonantilock counterparts during 2003-08. The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years. Bolstering this finding is a separate analysis by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute. HLDI analyzed insurance claims filed for crash damage to motorcycles. Bike models with antilocks have 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year (a vehicle year is 1 vehicle insured for 1 year, 2 insured for 6 months, etc.) than the same models without antilocks. The results update earlier studies by the Institute and HLDI published in 2008. In 2009 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that it was looking at the issue in light of the Institutes earlier study but stated that an additional year of data and additional analyses are needed to determine the statistical significance of the results.

Cool video, I am a firm believer in ABS in cars and have seen it demonstrated on the Beemers but I would have to ride one before I could make up my mind. All good stuff though especially if it gives you an edge on safety.

Thanks for sharing!

Loss of front wheel grip is a major cause of crashes. Those of you who run touring tires should pay close attention to the video. A sticky tire will lift the rear of the bike before it will lock up unless you snap the brake lever on. A touring tire will skid without lifting the rear.

Keep in mind a touring tire may last twice as long as a performance tire but one crash can raise the cost of the touring tire dramatically in bike damage and broken bones! :beerchug:

Loss of front wheel grip is a major cause of crashes. Those of you who run touring tires should pay close attention to the video. A sticky tire will lift the rear of the bike before it will lock up unless you snap the brake lever on. A touring tire will skid without lifting the rear.

Keep in mind a touring tire may last twice as long as a performance tire but one crash can raise the cost of the touring tire dramatically in bike damage and broken bones! :beerchug:

:thumbsup:Reason why I try to buy sticky road/track tires!:thumbsup:

The abs bikes I have ridden sucked, the abs kicks in before it needs to, that being said I have not been on a new cbr or the s1000rr they may be much better.

Yes, have experienced this myself (fortunatly no crash resulting, just a strained schincter muscle:laugh:).
Will be running a sport tire on the front, and a ST tire on the rear for the next change (coming up very soon).

That simply means that those who buy ABS models
- don't ride over speed limit (never exeed 10mph)
- are safety first oriented (they have a safety car riding in front and back)
- don't take risks (use all possible riding gear, typically off-road armour)
- are girls (or gay) :cheerleader:

Don't know what being a girl or gay has to do with braking but it seems important to you...

Most bikes with ABS are Harleys and those guys -- in general -- are the worst riders on the road. I personally prefer to have the choice of how the brakes are working instead of giving those decisions over to a computer and a bunch of valves.

Don't know what being a girl or gay has to do with braking but it seems important to you...

Most bikes with ABS are Harleys and those guys -- in general -- are the worst riders on the road. I personally prefer to have the choice of how the brakes are working instead of giving those decisions over to a computer and a bunch of valves.

Harleys have ABS? That's news to me.... When I think of ABS on a bike I think:

A) Money
B) Honda and BMW

I actually agree with him to a large extent, this study does not account for variables such as average age difference between the group. I doubt you will find the younger generation sportbike riders (Therefore, the least experienced group) to value ABS versus the older generations???

That simply means that those who buy ABS models
- don't ride over speed limit (never exeed 10mph)
- are safety first oriented (they have a safety car riding in front and back)
- don't take risks (use all possible riding gear, typically off-road armour)
- are girls (or gay) :cheerleader:

:thumbsup:

Yes, have experienced this myself (fortunatly no crash resulting, just a strained schincter muscle:laugh:).
Will be running a sport tire on the front, and a ST tire on the rear for the next change (coming up very soon).

:rofl: :rofl: I don't want to think about a strained sphincter, you poor soul!

So are you saying my 'Busa will Stoppie? I really don't know the answer to this question.... :laugh: Naughty, Squidly thoughts are a brewin'.... Haven't wanted to grab my front brake hard enough to find out :lol:

Is it just me or in the video were all the bikes that crashed sportbikes??? Wonder why???
Another thing where can I get a set of those training wheels that is amazing!!!

As far as ABS good in some situations bad in others. Horrible at low speeds below 30, but great for anything above that. I am sure it will save lives but it will also cause a lot more parking lot mishaps. Just my 2 cents

race abs system on the BMW S1KRR is TITS! very non agressive, I really don't know it's there unless I act stupid and ham-foot the rear pedal, I can feel it working. but overall it is a very subtle system that I don't feel unless I get real stupid with the brakes. and If I want I can shut it off.

Oh - it's just that I have been accused of being girl or gay
(instead of either being a wreckless daredevil or a REAL motorcyclist)
while I'm worried about my braking performance during bad conditions
like wet surface or some sand on tarmac (etc)

I really don't consider myself girl or gay AND
I'm certainly not a pro-rider BUT
still I'm a basic safety course instructor
that means that I have attented a 4 day intense course on safety riding
so I could teach others in class room and in a parking lot (or similar)

All these studies let me to discover (using the net) that one either
- has to take a lot of track days or
- simply by an ABS equipped motorcycle

I'm thinking of getting the ABS
plus have some track days with an instructor
and also pray that God protects me
:please:

Harleys have ABS? That's news to me.... When I think of ABS on a bike I think:

A) Money
B) Honda and BMW

I actually agree with him to a large extent, this study does not account for variables such as average age difference between the group. I doubt you will find the younger generation sportbike riders (Therefore, the least experienced group) to value ABS versus the older generations???

:thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: I don't want to think about a strained sphincter, you poor soul!

So are you saying my 'Busa will Stoppie? I really don't know the answer to this question.... :laugh: Naughty, Squidly thoughts are a brewin'.... Haven't wanted to grab my front brake hard enough to find out :lol:

YES!!! It'll ride a great stoppie! Don't belive the hype that a Busa is only good for cruisin:beerchug:

03-08 bikes with abs are high end High $ tourers with the average age of owners being middle aged. Most sportbike owners that crash have not reach 28 yrs of age or have been riding less than three years. Crashed non abs bikes (rider averages higher mph) vs abs bikes (rider averages more miles per year).

My ABS on the BKing works great! Really at the end of all of the arguments, it is the bomb for a panic stop. Something happens that you do not expect, you have zero time to react and you brain grabs a ton of front brake without you even thinking about it. That's when it is worth every penny. Well, that and wet roads......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have never had much luck with an abs system. I have slid through many intersections with the ABS system just humming away. If even one side was on ice the computer would kick in and "help" me stop. What about the other side that has great traction? Me while in my 77 pick up I am able to stop much better using the threshold breaking method. I always saw ABS as being the crutch for those who were not paying attention (talking on cellphone) or just had no skill in driving.

After all in the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course they trained us to threshold the break and not use the ABS system. One exception was the maneuver where you are required to stop on the break and weave around a construction barrel. Those barrels can go impressive distances and they always got a lot of air time.

As for the stats. I think the statements are a little vague.

one thing about the ABS, remember, first and foremost in an adverse condition slick or icy roads, it will keep the shiney side up and you will not immediately low side and while your braking distance will be increased, at least you will be able to still manuever vice instant lowside from emergency grabbing of the brakes.

Last edited:
Back