A few mechanical questions 4 the day

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
I'll try to keep it brief , a few weeks ago , I purchased a USED busa, It Looks Great , Runs Great. But before I took her for a ride , I noticed the chain as very dry, So I cleaned and lubed it good.. Today I went for a ride , everything was fine until I got home , I went to push the bike ( engine off) and hear a binding popping noise, Kinda like a dry door hinge.. Sounds like its at the front drive sprocket...What ya think ? Chain? Dude I bought it from says the chain isnt that old.. ( told me when i bought it) .. Now the Bike is stretched 6 inches, How can I make 100% sure the swing arm is straight ? How long would it take to ruin a chain if he rode it while it was dry? Best place to get chains and sprockets? Any info would be Greatly appreciated..Me

It will take no time to run a chain that's dry. Specially if water and morture gets on It. It will rust quicker than anything. Remove the rear wheel and check to see if the chain is really stiff when you try to bend it. A chain in good condition should be loose as a goose when being handled....... as to where to buy from I believe the best place to get it is from one of our sponsors. Pm goldenchild he should take care of you
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you sure it's not your clutch bolts hitting the cover ?

Also, if the rear wheel is not in proper alignment with the front wheel you will get some binding in the chain.

Hummmm I'll go check that asap. It does have a hd clutch setup and is noisy when running . But I'll check..

It sure sounds like its at the front sprocket ! Chain tension is about 1 inch of slack, It is an after-market swingarm , and the adjustment part is powder coated , so I dont see any adj. marks for alignment.. I do have the new cush drive and cush rubbers , bearings . Now for a chain and sprockets . I just dont want to replace everything and have it last 100 miles .. I like my stuff perfect..

I had the same thing happen to me. 8" stretch, chain was a little loose and dry. Could have sworn it was front sprocket but I lubed chain and its never been dry since. It happened to me on my way home from 300 miles away a week after I got bike, scary :D
Posted via Mobile Device

take the chain off and soak it in some kerosene, its a good cleaner/lube for the chain and then check the sprockets for any abnormal wear, you know like shiny spots or grooved spots wear the chain may not be aligned properly...

Back