How to ride 2 up

Puggle

Registered
Anyone with experience riding 2 Up, what pointers would you give someone that is going to do it for the first time?

I am aware of a few things, but please add what I need to know.

1. Lighter passenger and heavier rider is preferred. Heavy passenger and light rider can cause balance issues, with the heavy passenger acting like a counterweight, lagging in corners.

2. Always rider on first, then passenger on second. Likewise, passenger off first, rider off last.

3. Everything will be amplified for the passenger, so smoother inputs than normal are required. Passenger is unable to mentally predict and prepare for a sharp maneouver like the rider can, so ride predictably and comfortably.

4. Ask passenger to lean with you???????

make sure to give yourself extra braking distance.

have a communication system

make sure she is comfortable

be prepared for a potential nutcracker :rofl:

make sure she puts her weight on the tank

have fun and be safe :thumbsup:

Yes, ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE the passenger leans with you. You WILL crash if she doesn't. When slowing down, have her put her hands on the tank to keep her from sliding forward. That gets real uncomfortable after a while, especially on the wrists.

Yes, ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE the passenger leans with you. You WILL crash if she doesn't. When slowing down, have her put her hands on the tank to keep her from sliding forward. That gets real uncomfortable after a while, especially on the wrists.

Wow as in their hands are around your waist the whole time yeah, then when braking, they release and press against the tank with straight arms?

If no comms yet make sure you work out signals between you pre-ride. Make sure you are ready for them to get on or off. Sudden pull either way can cause you to drop the bike if your not ready and expecting it.

Me and the wife ride two up lots and I've learned the hard way couple important spot;

-Like said before make sure she braces on the tank (slightly bent elbows) or down low on your back

-Work out signal for stuff light bathroom stop, or emergency stop

-yes rider on first and ready for second rider. have her brace one hand on the grab bar or your shoulder

-let her know to go with the flow and mimic your actions. leaning too much is as bad as not leaning. one runs you off the road the other low sides

p.m. me if you would like case specific answers
and good luck :Oo:

Have them try to be as relaxed as possible and not all tight and stiffened up. The more relaxed they are the easier it will be on you also.

I have always told passengers two things:

1) Keep your hands on or around my waist. I'm the only thing you can guarantee is going the same speed you are.

2) Just lean with me, keep your body aligned with mine and everthing will be fine.

Now for some advice specific to the Busa: You be careful with that throttle hand and don't try to show off. With the extra weight in the back, the Busa will pop a wheelie VERY easily, easier and faster than you are used to. My first experience with that is posted here:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/103348-shes-keeper.html

Wow as in their hands are around your waist the whole time yeah, then when braking, they release and press against the tank with straight arms?

Not necessarily straight, locked arms. Just have her brace herself on the tank so the inertia doesn't run her straight into you. But yes, arms around your waist are probably the best place. The grab bar is fine if you're just cruisin around, but take offs from stop signs and such, she'll want to be holding onto something in front of her to keep from falling off the back.

lean into the turn not away..(follow me) hold onto my waist...when stopping simply squeeze legs together...that keeps them from shifting forward..and when i tap thier legg 3 times....HOLD ON!

The main thing to riding 2 up is allow more braking distance. What you think is good enough double it until you get use to the extra space needed.
The next thing is, with any of my passengers I have never hand a problem with them not leaning with me. I tell them to hug my back and move with me so far it has worked great.
I have also had passengers that weight more than me one the felt double my weight, only thing was I could tell a power loss and I could feel the front seemed a little light.
The last main thing I can think of right now is becarful with the throttle, me weighing 185 and girlfriend weighing 130 if I take off half throttle or more it will come up very easily.

Just take it slow and get use to it the bike is plenty big and will have no problems it is just an adjustment on you. Good luck

lean into the turn not away..(follow me) hold onto my waist...when stopping simply squeeze legs together...that keeps them from shifting forward..and when i tap thier legg 3 times....HOLD ON!

Squeezing the legs together may keep them from sliding forward, but it can still push the pilot forward, and it's still more comfortable on the wrists if they support themselves with the tank. At least for me it is.

The next thing is, with any of my passengers I have never hand a problem with them not leaning with me. I tell them to hug my back and move with me so far it has worked great.

That's fine unless you have someone who gets scared of it. My sister in law wanted to ride, so I took her from their house to mine. Thankfully it was only a mile cause if it had been any more we would have crashed. She had ridden dirt bikes and things like that, so I didn't think I had to tell her about the leaning, but I guess I was wrong. She was leaning out of the turns and I was having HUGE understeer issues.

I think you should take her to a nice straight stretch, tell her to hold on, and nail it. Depending upon what speed she screams at will determine if she is eligable for future riding, as well as her skill level:laugh:

I think you should take her to a nice straight stretch, tell her to hold on, and nail it. Depending upon what speed she screams at will determine if she is eligable for future riding, as well as her skill level:laugh:

This is a tried and proven method, I've used it on countless women through the years. They love it or hate it. If they want to ride again, they're elidgeable for lessons.:rofl:

Bracing her hands on the tank is a BIG help. I had included this in our initial instruction. But needed fast stops come up much more frequently then we would like. After one such stop before she could adjust back in place, I took her hands off my waste and placed them on the tank. Since then she puts her hands on the tank and she doesn't slide at all. She feels it and is more secure to be able to keep from sliding into me. And I don't have to push back off the tank after every stop. :thumbsup:

The only time I've run into problems is when COMING TO A STOP. For some reason just as you're coming to a stop most girls want to sit up and adjust their self . Boy, is that exciting !! Nothing will take you down faster than a passenger moving around on the back at 1-5 mph.

As long as they're hugging your waist, they have no choice but to lean with you.

and on your manhood :whistle:.. I always tell them "It might feel like we're gonna fall or crash when you lean in a turn, but if you don't lean with me, I PROMISE we will crash.." Never had a problem after that :D... have her look over your right shoulder on a right turn, or left shoulder on a left turn. That will be enough to keep her leaned with you

Back