Just a little info for Ya! ABS

They sound good.
I have ridden too long and too far and know how to stop, even panic without crashing the bike.
Water would be a different story, but I don't ride in the rain.
I still have a problem with some electronics working my brakes.
In a car it is different, but just me, I don't think I would like them.

Funny, I just read about ABS braking failing on a bike, causing it to not engage the brakes and getting into a crash yesterday.

1) I would like ABS on my bikes - but do not want LINKED front/rear brakes like Honda uses on some of their bikes.

2) Too bad ABS adds about $1500 to a new bike. Maybe the cost will come down if the Government mandates them, but don't count on the cost coming down. Oh, and the Government is trying to mandate ABS.

3) The 37% fewer fatalities on ABS equipped bikes may be statistically significant, but it is not terribly compelling for a 15-20% increase in the cost of a new bike.

4) The data is probably flawed anyway. The vast majority of bikes with ABS are sold to wealthier riders who are probably older / more mature. Young kids have most of the accidents, and they don't buy ABS equipped bikes. And they are less likely to wear helmets. Like I said, I believe the analysis of the data is very flawed. You could probably find similar statistics indicating that Buick Regals are involved in fewer fatal accidents than Honda Civic Si coupes - but it would have more to do with the type of driver than the relative safety of the respective vehicles.

that would be a good feature to add to the bus. for $1500 that just might be worth it in my opinion. :whistle:

Good point: "You could probably find similar statistics indicating that Buick Regals are involved in fewer fatal accidents than Honda Civic Si coupes - but it would have more to do with the type of driver than the relative safety of the respective vehicles. "

That said, I'd still gladly pay more for ABS on any bike. It's one reason I'm looking at the S1000RR.

I had the chance to try braking maneuvers with and w/o ABS at a Bondurant school. No question, every participant stopped much sooner and controlled the vehicle much better with ABS.

True, for a bike, ABS can be tricky panic stopping in sand or gravel - can't lock up the rear to slide sideways to stop.

1. I think ABS on a bike is a great idea, but I agree that the higher price means that those who could benefit most from it probably won't get them.

2. Don't be so quick to write off Honda's linked brake system. Along with my Busa I also have an '02 CBR1100xx and a '99 VFR800 both equipped with the linked brake system. Now if you are a hardened track pro, I can imagine that you could do better, but trust me, from personal experience, the LBS system thinks much faster and works MUCH better in an emergency situation than I do. It is utterly staggering how fast my Blackbird can stop.

3. This has no bearing on bikes but I read a few months ago that ABS on cars has never been proven to change crash statistics at all, but that dynamic handling, brake force distribution and traction control technologies improve your odds astronomically in a car crash.

I too have ABS on the King and it works very well. Like everything though, you have to try it out once in awhile in a parking lot a 40mph to know how it feels. It is only used in panic stops and the rest of the time it never comes into play. I'm a firm believer in it for one major reason - panic stops. When someone pulls out in front of you or some other stupid thing, most people will grab all the brake they can and lock the front tire....and down they go. Good video Bubba!!

1) I would like ABS on my bikes - but do not want LINKED front/rear brakes like Honda uses on some of their bikes.

2) Too bad ABS adds about $1500 to a new bike. Maybe the cost will come down if the Government mandates them, but don't count on the cost coming down. Oh, and the Government is trying to mandate ABS.

3) The 37% fewer fatalities on ABS equipped bikes may be statistically significant, but it is not terribly compelling for a 15-20% increase in the cost of a new bike.

4) The data is probably flawed anyway. The vast majority of bikes with ABS are sold to wealthier riders who are probably older / more mature. Young kids have most of the accidents, and they don't buy ABS equipped bikes. And they are less likely to wear helmets. Like I said, I believe the analysis of the data is very flawed. You could probably find similar statistics indicating that Buick Regals are involved in fewer fatal accidents than Honda Civic Si coupes - but it would have more to do with the type of driver than the relative safety of the respective vehicles

You might want to have another look at your thoughts. It would seem that way with the younger crowd but that isn't the case...

# In 2007, 49% of bikers killed in crashes were age 40 or over.
# 31% of motorcycle crash fatalities occurred in the under 30-year-old group in 2007.
# 20% of crash fatalities occurred in the 30- to 39-year-old group in 2007.

It's the older age group that are returning to riding after several years away that are dieing the most, NOT the younger age group.

Motorcycle Statistics for Accidents and Crashes

Motorcycle Accident Statistics - webBikeWorld

The bigger problems are NO HELMETS and ALCOHOL... :banghead:

I still can't fathom why people drink and drive, let alone drink and ride... :mad:

ABS This, ABS That, You guys completely missed what I was going for.

I was looking into getting a set of those Cool looking TRAINING WHEELS for my Busa. That way I can go faster around the curves without falling over. :laugh:

Back