Good reason why you should fill up from stations with multiple hoses

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
More and more gas stations are going to a single hose with a selector for the grade.
Have you ever wondered that if the last person who filled up got regular unleaded how much of that was left in the system/pump/hose ?

Well I have and so I asked, not one not two but three different stations yesterday just cuz I did not believe the first or the second.

How much do you think is left ?

1/2 gallon or more is left in system/pump/hose to keep it primed is what they all told me !

So if you go to a Gas station that dispenses from only a single hose you could be putting a 1/2 gallon of regular into your bike before the premium ever starts coming out ?

Does that not suck !

Look for stations that have a separate hose for premium and this will cut down the amount of regular you may be getting.

I can't recall the last time I saw pumps with individual hoses for each grade? You still have some down there?

I can't recall the last time I saw pumps with individual hoses for each grade? You still have some down there?

Very few but now I will be marking them in memory so I can go there.
I think not sure but most Shell station still have multiple hoses .

Does the manual for the Gen II suggest using premium? On the Gen I it calls for 87 octane. Why would you use premium? Unless you have tuned the bike on 93 or better, what real benefit are you getting from running premium?

WOW I really didn't think of that. Thanks for bring that up to our attention. :bowdown:
Ill have to keep my eye out around here :thumbsup:

I don't, but most people run regular in their Gen I's...... You're not supposed to in Gen II's, are you ?

Does the manual for the Gen II suggest using premium? On the Gen I it calls for 87 octane. Why would you use premium? Unless you have tuned the bike on 93 or better, what real benefit are you getting from running premium?

the K8 call's for 90+

GenII requires premium.

...you should start spraying the first couple of seconds out on the ground and tell them you are cleaning out their lines.:laugh:

But think about it.
How many times have you just gone in and gotten a squirt or a buck or two ?
Prolly got mostly regular unleaded as its def the most used grade .

Wow never thought of that. I also only use 100% gas now. There are 2 stations close by that still have it. Not sure if using ethonol blend would hurt but I know its not helping....:laugh:

I wouldn't ever use regular even tho I have a Gen 1... w/ the 10% or more ethanol, it's just that much worse. I have some ethanol treatment I use, and try to put alil in after each fill up. We have only the single nozzels at all the stations I've been to in New Jersey. I've gotten "bad" gas from most of them on some days, where it's either watered down, or just contaminated w/ something. Alot to worry about after each fill up.

Guess it's a REALLY good thing they still keep Diesel on a separate hose~!~

That good ol low sulfer 40 octane does wonders in a sport bike ...

Last edited:
i dont think that little bit of regular will hurt the bike its just a 1/2 gallon or less, heck i mean how do you really know your getting what the pump says anyway???? think about it??

surely the new pumps have a syphon system to pull the extra fuel out of the line.

maybe the old pumps you still can get the extra out of?

...you should start spraying the first couple of seconds out on the ground and tell them you are cleaning out their lines.:laugh:

That's funny. I figure you could go to about 10 station's and tip the hose and dang near fill up your bike.:whistle:

surely the new pumps have a syphon system to pull the extra fuel out of the line.

maybe the old pumps you still can get the extra out of?

Why I went to 3 stations.
I didnt believe it either.
They may be wrong but it does sound logical .

on a side note, a little trick i learned...

when you go to fill up, open your tank, pull the trigger, release the built up line pressure...

then let go of the trigger.... hit the selector, and quickly go back to the trigger and open it back up...

the gas pump will prime first, and give you an extra splash of a go juice for free!!! normally that is just used to build up line pressure!

hhaahah, hey on a bike thats like 20 miles !!

my dad actually tells me stories of back when he was younger, he would go to gas stations and just fill his bike up by emptying the lines into his tank from left overs... haha

i actually paid attention to this once, and if you watch the color of the gas, ethanol blends at my stations generally are a bit yellower than premium i have noticed, and you can tell exactly when it changes over....

just about .25 - .5 a gallon usually...

if you really care, some quick math will tell you what the person filled up with on the pump before you...

heck i mean how do you really know your getting what the pump says anyway???? think about it??

That's why I brought up Diesel...I know a perfect example, a friend of mine put in 93 octane pump gas into a ZX10 a while back and took him about 4 hours of taking everything apart on the bike to see why it would not fire...checked the gas and sure enough it was green and oily...looked like someone had filled up the gas pumps with diesel~!~

(Assuming he grabbed the correct pump to begin with~!~)

Back