riding behind certain vehicles

MO-BUSA

Poster formerly know as qrychefanus
Registered
ok let me set this up, kind of long sorry so this morning I had a late start to work, dentist always fun..not anyway its a nice day out but winds are gusting I am in my car and its are blowing it around, anyway I see a guy on a bike and then I notice him tuck in behind the pos truck hauling guttering, old beat up guttering to be exact with this crap stacked 3 times the bed height of the truck, so all kinds of thought start racing thru my head what the heck is this guy doing behind the truck loaded with this stuff, let alone a truck, anyway I passed them, the trucks going pretty slow the guy on the bike I figure is trying to stay outta the wind or he works with the guy hauling this crap going to another job... so I get here at work and I think I wanted to tell the guy to get the heck away from the truck but kind of not possible going down the highway, so I want to tell all the other brothers and sisters here on the .org to be careful out there and watch for these kind of things, people are spring cleaning their homes or remolding or whatever they are doing this time of year know all of us probably do but maybe this will just get to the one person that doesn't or make them think the next time they are out, pls be careful out there and watch yourselves...thanks I now step off my soap box...

There is a scrap facility down the road from me They don't care how they load those trucks as long as the junk is on there some pretty scary stuff hanging off them sometimes.

Here's a partial list of things I won't ride behind:

1. pickups with crap in the back
2. tractor trailers - ever catch the stones flung or blown tire meat?
3. any kind of a trailer - had a couple close calls with trailers without working lights
4. any kind of rental vehicle/truck like u-haul, etc.
5. vehicles full of partying teenagers
6. drivers on cell phones or preoccupied to the point of distraction or using more than their own lane
7. garbage trucks

please add to the list as I am sure there are lots more that I can't recall right now.....

Gut Wagons..
There is a rendering plant in a town not far from here. The Gut Wagons go around the farms and pick up dead cattle of varying kinds, and travel the local roads north and west of Springfield regularly, heading to the rendering plant.
Can you imagine finding yourself behind an 18 wheeler version of an open top dump truck, filled to the brim with rotting animal carcasses? The smell can't be fully described with words alone. And on a still summer day, it will hang in the air over the road for several minutes after the truck goes through.
And you think the stuff coming out of the back of a live cattle hauler is bad? The ooze dripping out of some of these in the middle of summer (some of the carcasses are so rotten, they are turning to liquid), is just unbelievable.

Lots of heavy hauling of Lime and sandy soil around my area. Really no fun being pelted or riding behind a sand storm @ 75 mph, not to mention the exfoliating you and the bike get.
These drivers have really no clue as to what is flying off the back nor do they care or so it seems.

Last summer I was out for a ride with about 15 other guys (all Harleys.I was the only sport bike and was desperate for company):laugh:Anyways....Four or five pieces of fire wood bounced off the back a utility trailer in front of us being pulled by a couple of rednecks.:moon: We all just managed to swerve around the tumbling wood and then a few miles ahead pulled into a convenience store for a cold drink and a smoke break. While at the store, a few minutes later, cops and an ambulance went flying by with their sirens blaring. Later that night, when we all got home, it was on the news and in the papers that 2 bikes in a group of three had hit firewood in the road in that exact location on RT 44 and died from there injuries. Unfortunately at the time, none of us thought enough to get a license plate # or stop to remove the debris from the road. We all called each other the next day regretting that none of us had stopped to clean up the wood and thanking God that it wasn't us.

I was riding over a bridge(4 lane, center divider) with a friend just ahead of me on his bike, when all of the sudden an empty garbage can flew out of a truck, over him and right next to me! I had to go wash up after that....

Def, be carefull

I've had to dodge an airborne mattress on one occasion, 3 falling hay bales from the flatbed in front of me on another, and a flying shovel that I dodged barely but hit the car next to me on another... Oh yeah and a wheel barrel on another...

I can't stand seeing vehicles on the road that are overloaded or the stuff they're carrying isn't correctly fastened.

+1 on the hay bale. dodged one yesterday just north of Denver. saw the 2 vehicles in front of me swerve hard, backed off and there was a busted bale in the middle of the lane. cut through the hole in the middle with a mighty swerve. got my undivided attention!
don't follow so close you can't react.

Add RV's with on board bathrooms. I was passing a large bus type RV on way to the bash when i suddenly smelt poop! Yes they had the drain open going down the highway!! Thank god for helmets and gear!

I never ride behind anything if i can help it, i've seen too many things come flying off. Besides i'm claustraphobic...:laugh:

Back