Radiator fan

TJackson

Registered
Is it necessary or suggested to upgrade the radiator fan, if I am going to put an aftermarket exhaust on?

I bought the Muzzy aluminum fan because the stock one is known to melt if the bike gets real hot. So it's not a requirement from my standpoint, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

Not by any means a requirement, but a good idea for the summer. I don't know how hot it gets in Maryland (or Peterland or Paulland either), but it's going to be 103 here in Oregon today, and I sure wish I had one.

Seriously, if you have the means, it is a very worthwile upgrade. But not a required one. Since you'll have eveything off already when you install the pipe (assuming you are going with a full system), you might as well.:laugh:

personaly I don't think it necessary. I had the stock fan with thin walled titanium full exhaust... no problems even sitting in summer shore traffic. 90+ temp days sitting still for long time on the asphalt.... never had a melting fan issue. Now have a muzzy 1464 block w/13:1cr pistons installed and still had no melted fan issues. All though the stock fan couldn't keep the temp steady and would run hot... added a gixx1k fan to the right side and just wired it in tandem with the stock fan... now I have no over heating problems at all... I now installed a muzzy alu fan in the left one... still no problems....

summurization.... is it needed, will your stock fan melt.... I doubt it. just my experience though...

Not nessecary. If you are in heavy traffic on a really hot day yeah the fan is going run alot. You could try something like Purple Ice said to reduce cooling system temps as much as 20 degrees. I'm running a full aftermarket system PC3R remapped and never have any problems.

Well I think the stock fan is good enough even in hot temperature . We have hot weather and it easily reach 130F and even above , I have ridden many times were the temp was about 122f and till today (2 years ) the fan is fine .

This is my experience …
wink.gif

Back