GoPro HD Resource Thread-Discussion-Settings-Mounts-Cards-Results

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Lets try to make this an official GoPro thread with only accurate and specific information listed.
I want to post videos here with where they were taken of course
BUT ALSO YOU MUST INCLUDE:
WHAT RESOLUTION SETTING YOU USED
WHAT MOUNT YOU USED AND WHERE IT IS(A PIC OF MOUNT ITSELF WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT ADDITION)
ANY OTHER SETTINGS YOU USED...i.e....CENTER FOCUS OR SPOT FOCUS
WHAT DATA CARD YOU USED FOR THIS PARTICULAR VIDEO...Brand name, storage, speed, class, price and where you got it.

To process the videos I bought Quicktime Pro 7 on recommendation of a couple others.
I have been using this free file converter to compress them and change them from Mpeg4 to wmv format in order to facilitate ease of loading on youtube.
Koyote Soft
It seems to work ?
I'm sure some of the clarity gets lost in process.
I am not sure yet on how to upload an HD movie to youtube and have yet to sign up for a Vimeo acct.

PLEASE POST LIKE THIS:
GoPro Hero HD
Resolution setting 2 ?
Mount Type-Suction cup ? 3m curved or flat mounts ? Arm or pole mount ? Where
Patriot class 6 16gb SDHC card purchased online from Newegg.com for $35.99+2.99 for shipping.
Program/s used to process/edit/post/link video

Try to make this a ready reference for others who follow.

I am experimenting with mine.

I find that even under 100mph with non-waterproof door on I still really dont capture good sound with it and get wind buffeting as well ?
Anyone else notice this ?
I find that with waterproof door mounted the wind buffeting is gone but now so is most of if not all sound and all I get is 'tunnel sounds' and 'muffled' ?
I have noticed when recording on resolution setting 5 which is full 1080 the video playback 'skips'.
I wonder if this is a data card related issue ?
I have yet to capture a really nice night video.
Anyone else shoot any vids at night or have probs with this ?

I am very happy with the 'take-a-pic-every-x-amount of secs' feature.
It does take excellent shots this way.

On the mounts.
Suction cup on the tank right in front of gauges:
Works but still shakes a bit.
With open/non-waterproof door it captures sound but still has some buffeting.
With closed/waterproof door no wind buffeting is heard but all engine sound seems to be lost.

taken on Oprah Winfrey's driveway !
TANKMOUNT.jpg

Helmet mount:
On side of helmet does not really work as its difficult to capture gauges and street same time. No pics taken.

Nose mounted:
Seems to be one of the best I have found so far.
Again open door too much buffeting, closed/waterproof door nice smooth video but loss of sound persists as well as sounds you do hear are muffled.
nosemount.jpg

Tail Mounted off side:
Too much vibes and shaking did not pursue this.
Need to look into a grab handle mount.
tailmount.jpg

Pic taken at 2 second interval from suction cup mount
GOPR0028.jpg

Another pic taken at 2 second interval
Yes we have curves...wee little ones..
GOPR0041.jpg

One more riding thru Manalapan,South Palm Beach.
GOPR0133.jpg

Pic taken with suction cup mounted low on left side of bike.
GOPR0106.jpg

All mounts and all times I am getting a high pitched whine in the soundtrack of video ? Not sure why ?

VIDEO SHOT ON R2 RESOLUTION WITH CARD MENTIONED ABOVE.
Suction cup mount on left side upper fairing.
Closed/Waterproof door used.
Orange cord is simply a retention tether.

NEXT TWO VIDEOS ARE COVERING SAME GROUND AND SHOW 2 DIFF MOUNTING POSITIONS.

VIDEO SHOT ON R2 RESOLUTION WITH SAME CARD MENTIONED ABOVE.
Suction cup mount on tank. Open Non-Waterproof door used.
THIS VIDEO I HAD CAMERA SET ON SPOT FOCUS AND IT OVEREXPOSED IT.
ALL THE COLOR IS GONE
Spot focus is for shooting from inside a dark place out into a more lit up scene.
Like looking out of a windshield from a car or thru a bikes windscreen.
Just if you use it during the day it whitens out things as you see here.
Sky should be more blue but its not.

NOSE MOUNTED . RES 2. OPEN DOOR. SPOT FOCUS.

VIDEO SHOT ON I95. AGAIN ON R2 RES SETTING.
ALSO WITH SPOT FOCUS SETTING ON.
Closed/Waterproof door on using suction cup mount on tank.
I accidently left this setting on from previous night.
The sky was pretty blue as in first video above but shows a greyish white.

side note: HAYABUSA.ORG NEEDS A VIMEO LINK SAME AS YOUTUBE ?

All the folks who post GoPro vids here and not one response ?
:moon:

Your lame I call you !

Cmon you do know what setting your on , what card your using , what mount you used and where it was don't you ?

Pashnit
Scar
Twotonevert
TheSkaz
Skydyvr

and a few others my STML prevents me from remembering where is your vids and tech info ?
Ever read a photography magazine ?
There is not a single pic there that does not have detailed info as to how it was taken .
Need the same here .
:rulez:

Saiid, I just pinned this thread at the top so all us Go Pro's can find it. Thanks for the thread.

umm.... yeah gimme a day or so and ill post up mounting points and stuff. right now i gotsta get swole.

Saiid, I just pinned this thread at the top so all us Go Pro's can find it. Thanks for the thread.

Thank you.
I wanna try to make it easier for any who may follow days, weeks , yrs later.
My head hurts from trying to figure this all out.

I need mo-better mounts..:laugh:

Like Tim from Pashnit has.

I am gonna buy a kingston class 4 16gb card and try it on 1080 to see if it skips on playback as well.

Still want others to chime in on sound issues.
Open door captures whine and stuff not really good sound.
Closed door sounds really muffled.

Is this why everybody dubbs music over their videos ?

Thank you.
I wanna try to make it easier for any who may follow days, weeks , yrs later.
My head hurts from trying to figure this all out.

I need mo-better mounts..:laugh:

Like Tim from Pashnit has.

I am gonna buy a kingston class 4 16gb card and try it on 1080 to see if it skips on playback as well.

Still want others to chime in on sound issues.
Open door captures whine and stuff not really good sound.
Closed door sounds really muffled.

Is this why everybody dubbs music over their videos ?

If you're trying to play it on an XP based computer, that would explain the skipping on playback. Mine does the same thing. But when I play it on my dad's MAC, on the TV, or through the Xbox it works just fine. If you have issues with TV playback, the Kingston card will fix it cause that's what I've got.

On the sound. . . I have the same issues with the non-waterproof door. Also, if you're putting it behind the windscreen you have to use the non-waterproof one. I use the waterproof for everything else and it's fine. Yes, still a little bit of wind noise, but the engine overpowers it pretty well. But behind the screen, I have the same level issues as you with the waterproof one. It's quiet and I get a bad whine.

HD Hero, Paris Mountain Greenville SC, 1080p, suction cup mount, waterproof door, kingston class 4 16GB card.

Last edited by a moderator:
perfect good post.

I think it is that I was playing it back on a Toshiba TV that only displays 1080i not 1080p ?
I just did a quick video with it sitting on BBQ then played it back on the Samsung and it ran fine.

The one video I have that is from setting 5 is only on my computer and it skips.
Not on card anymore so I dont know and cant play it back unless I burn it to DVD which I may do.

Better to just go and out and record another vid on R5 and see how it does...:laugh:

I did also make a quick 5 min movie with it out of case completely.
Wow , full color and full sound.
Of course it was sitting still but it captured convo perfect.

Gmmech7 what program do you use to convert it so it uploads easier onto Youtube ?
I find that the quicktime movies take forever and wont load. Keep getting errors so I have to convert them to another format and size ?

HD Hero, Paris Mountain Greenville SC, 1080p, suction cup mount, waterproof door, kingston class 4 16GB card.

[/MEDIA]

to comment on your video.
Dont they know how to build straight roads in So Carolina ?
Geesh all the roads here are perfect and straight, none of this going back and forth leaning all over the place left and right....
What kind of fun is that.....:rofl:

It is playback on XP computer making it skip .
Plays fine on all TVs in house but skips on my pc ?
Strange ?

perfect good post.

I think it is that I was playing it back on a Toshiba TV that only displays 1080i not 1080p ? Yes, that was probably the problem there.
I just did a quick video with it sitting on BBQ then played it back on the Samsung and it ran fine.

The one video I have that is from setting 5 is only on my computer and it skips.
Not on card anymore so I dont know and cant play it back unless I burn it to DVD which I may do. You can actually put it back on the camera just by connecting the camera to the computer and dragging it back where the other videos are, in the camera. Either that, or if your TV has a USB port you can plug a USB drive into the TV and play it that way.

Better to just go and out and record another vid on R5 and see how it does...:laugh:

I did also make a quick 5 min movie with it out of case completely.
Wow , full color and full sound.
Of course it was sitting still but it captured convo perfect.

Gmmech7 what program do you use to convert it so it uploads easier onto Youtube ?
I find that the quicktime movies take forever and wont load. Keep getting errors so I have to convert them to another format and size ?
I haven't done any converting. That video took about an hour and a half to upload to youtube. If you upload the full 1080p resolution video it's just gonna take that long. Unless someone else knows something I don't. But even using the "youtube upload" feature on my dad's mac it one of my other vids took just as long...

to comment on your video.
Dont they know how to build straight roads in So Carolina ?
Geesh all the roads here are perfect and straight, none of this going back and forth leaning all over the place left and right....
What kind of fun is that.....:rofl:
:laugh:There are a few! That was the curviest road around here, though. Which would be why I was up there taking vids. :-) But yea, most places have at least some nice sweepers.

It is playback on XP computer making it skip .
Plays fine on all TVs in house but skips on my pc ?
Strange ?

Yea, it's because the XP based machines aren't built to run that file type. I know the windows 7 machines will play them just fine (because skydiver has posted his dealings with this, too) but the XP machines just aren't built for it.

I try to load just a simple video I shoot from my iPhone to YouTube and it takes hours and I get errors ?
The file size of the original formats are huge so I use that converter.

You can set it to convert it to 720x480 at 30fps.
It will take a 400mb mpeg file and turn it into a 40mb wmv file .
Then it only takes me about thirty minutes to load a video onto YouTube .

I try to load just a simple video I shoot from my iPhone to YouTube and it takes hours and I get errors ?

Dude, that's crazy. What kind of internet connection do you have? Or are you uploading straight from the phone? I haven't gotten errors when uploading, it just takes a really long time. Have you gotten that kingston card yet? You can get em for pretty cheap from walmart.com. Not available in the store, though.

No I save them to my computer and then upload to YouTube .
I just don't have good luck with mpeg formats loading to YouTube .
My connection is decent AT&T DSL ?

No I save them to my computer and then upload to YouTube .
I just don't have good luck with mpeg formats loading to YouTube .
My connection is decent AT&T DSL ?

Hmm. Well, I do know DSL is slower than cable, (at least DirecTV DSL is. One of my friends has it. I've got cable.) but what's your connection speed? 5 meg, 10 meg, etc?

GoPro Hero HD
Resolution setting? r2
Mount Type-Suction cup ? 3m curved or flat mounts ? Arm or pole mount ? Where
Sandisk, Class 4 16gig HD Card
Program/s used to process/edit/post/link video
I used avs4you.com, WMM to edit.

Last video I posted. I quit using Youtube. Mt Scott Ride on Vimeo

Memory used - 32GB Patriot Iris Class 6/8GB Sandisc II

3m Mount on 12 gauge pump:
r3
have to have the scews VERY tight or recoil will offset the cam
GoPro12GaugeMount.jpg

12" ram mount (stole the idea from Tim(pashnit))
r5/r3
bounces way too much (rubber balls are the culprit)
GoProRAMMount.jpg

Suction cup low on the fairing:
Stable
r4
GoProSuctioncup.jpg

I now use Cyberlink PowerDirector 8. I has a few features i love. Vibration reduction, any video adjustment.... snapshots of the video(how i got the above pics). easy to use and will directly upload to youtube.

GoPro12GaugeMount.jpg

GoProRAMMount.jpg

GoProSuctioncup.jpg

Saiid, this coming weekend will be headed up into NorCal with our 3rd Pashnit Tour group of the season and start fiddling with the GoPro HD. Leaving in 72 hrs so just ran over to walmart and got a 16gb scandisk card. Put on some new Galfer brake pads plus new R Series windscreen. But likely focusing on shooting on-board photography with it as after using these all season last year, I enjoy that the best.

Most of you have likely already seen all the pashnit experiments with using RAM Mount to create some interesting angles, but in case you are new to this site or to the GoPro, this is a page I built at the end of the season about the mounting ideas:

GoPro HD Mounting Ideas on your Motorcycle | PashnitMoto.com

Dsc00824_gopro_800.jpg

Dsc00824_gopro_800.jpg

What got me the best photos last season was this setup:

Img_5758_busa_ram.jpg

The weight of the arm & camera was a bit too much for the ball, but resting on the RKA saddlebags, it did fine.

Dsc05432-rear.jpg

...which took this photo. :thumbsup:

918_Pict0096_800.jpg

Dsc05432-rear.jpg

918_Pict0096_800.jpg

Img_5758_busa_ram.jpg

Would like to try more of the front mounted style of photos, those are tough as everything is very close in and you can't shoot across the bike as well as from behind.

This...

Dsc04321_gopro.jpg

Took this...

Pict0119_SonoraPass.jpg

And this...

Dsc04607_900.jpg

Dsc05250-left-front.jpg

Captured this...

hayabusa_gopro_2.jpg

Pict0014_gopro_900.jpg

Pict0119_SonoraPass.jpg

Dsc04607_900.jpg