Refurbished GPS not the Deal

Murphy

Registered
Why that refurbished deal may not be what you are looking for. I recently purchased a refurbished GARMIN 765T GPS from Factory Outlet Store 34 34th St. 3rd Floor Brooklyn, NY 11232 as I wanted it for the Bash in NC. It all seemed smooth until the refurbished unit showed up. I read the direction and assembled the unit as directed and again it seemed like it was going smooth until I turned the screen on to be greeted by a enter pin screen. I quickly reviewed the documents and receipts looking for the pin.

Now the story begins, I call the retailer and spend 30 minutes to be told they do not have a pin, I should call Garmin they refurbished the unit. They provided the Garmin phone number 800-800-1020 and I immediately call that number and push the key for support. After 28 minutes of waiting I am greeted by a nice young lady who I explain that my newly purchased Refurbished unit was asking for a pin. After some dialogue she explains that they normally charge for resetting the pin but because I just bought the refurbished unit they would do it without a fee for that service? But I would have to supply a receipt and email it to them before they would authorize me to send the unit, to have the pin set.

I have been in possession of the unit all of 75 minutes and It has not operated 1 second and I am suppose to feel lucky that I can send the unit at my cost to the manufacturer/refurbisher to have the pin set allowing me to use the newly refurbished unit. I then call back to the original retail seller and ask for an exchange and am informed they will be sending directions on how to return the unit. I asked if they could verify the exchange unit does not suffer the same anomaly and they could not perform that due to the volume sent from the warehouse.

I originally paid for expedited delivery which will cost me again.
I will be sending the Garmin GPS back FEDX overnight but was advised could take them 3-5 days to process and will be shipped back to me ground.
So how much did I save? In retrospect I would have purchased the unit locally and would have saved hours of time and had the unit in time for the Bash. Time will tell how long and how many phone calls and emails it will take before I get a functioning Garmin GPS unit.

Man, must be something in the water. Very sorry about this. What is the deal with GPS customer service lately?

Sorry to hear that you got such a bum deal on both ends. Hope things work out for you in the end!

That's too bad. I bought a refurbished unit 6 years ago dang thing won't stop working I just bought a new one because the maps were so out dated and cost almost as much as the unit itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, must be something in the water. Very sorry about this. What is the deal with GPS customer service lately?

It's NOT just GPS service, I'am now seeing this ALL OVER the US. What's the deal here. You would think with the Economy in the tank, they would take care of PAYING Customers :dunno:

Update 4-19-2010, Retailer made it good and I recieved my replacement untit today..

BRGDS
Murphy:cheerleader:

I purchased a new unit, it failed and Garmin sent me a new replacement a week later. Then I also had to spend 1/2 hour with them on the phone and emails to get my replacement unit maps unlocked. A year later my laptop crashed and I lost my key codes. Another nighmare to load new maps and get unlock codes from Garmin. In the end I got lucky and found the codes in my Gmail account going back a year.

My Iphone gets close to doing what this $1,000 plus GPS does, although I still prefer the GPS, I sure won't go Garmin again. The I phone apps for on-road and off road start below $10 and there is a solution for gloves to use the touch screen as well.

Watch Iphone, Nexus and Droid wipe out the traditional GPS in the near future.

Back