Bike not starting please help

Double_G

Registered
Hello all, I have searched the forums and done as much as i can i wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

I purchased a used 2002 busa with 9,300miles 2 months ago from a close friend. i've ridden this bike before and been around it for 5 years, so i dont think my friend sold me a bike he knew was broke, but it has stopped starting on me.

the bike is getting power, but will not start, when i hit the started you hear a zzzz noise like the started motor/gear is moving but it's as if nothing else is working. you hear no engine chugg or trying to start. just the buzz of the starter moving.

1) i got off starter cover, it looks fine in there ( i think ),
2) checked all electrical i could find seems o.k.
3) checked, spark plugs and air filter
4) drained oil to see if i saw any metal in oil ( none )

im waiting for the shop to get my starter/clutch gaskets in so i can put that back on/together.

my friend said that it was getting hard to start about 6 months ago so he took it to the shop, they said he could use a new battery soon, and that his old power comander they couldn't set anymore so he got a new power comander and had it programed and he said the bike was fine and even faster then.

any suggestions on what to check/try next?
would unplugging the power comander help any? could a power commander malfunction stop the bike from running?

thanks in advance for any help

Good luck to ya man, The first thing I would try is a battery and check all your connections between the battery and starter sounds like its not getting enough juice, a PC can keep it from running but I don't think it would stop the motor from turning over.

Check the starter relay fuse in the tail section. Check the strength of the battery. Run a power line directly from the battery to the starter motor. Disconnect the PC. That's all I can think of quickly.

Same thing happen to my boose, you might want to check the clutch starter relay switch...just a thought, good luck.

Try this:

Starting Flow Chart.jpg

Something you may want to concider is the starter brushes inside the starter. A week battery can cause these brushes to weaken. Just my two cents. I have a 2002 and just had a starter kickback about two months ago. This tore up my starter clutch. Invest in a battery tender and keep it connected.

I would also check your ignition switch. I had the same sort of problem not to long ago. The bike would turn on, but it would not start. When you turn the bike on, can you hear the fuel pump kick on?

I can hear the fuel pump kick in. I have a battery tender and use it often. I will check the relay in trunk when I get home. I will also look for/at these startor brushes. I'm wishfully hoping its this fuse I didn't know about. Mike tharnks for the chart

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

You said the starter is spinning but the engine isn't. That means the starter isn't engaging the flywheel. Chances are the pintle isn't moving at all. When you hit the button, a solenoid inside the starter is supposed to move the pintle out to engage the teeth on the flywheel, spin the engine, and then it moves back and disengages so the starter isn't spinning at engine speed. It sounds like the solenoid that moves the pintle has gone bad so the starter spins, but it won't engage. I'd be willing to bet you either need a new starter or need to swap some parts on the one you have (if they're rebuildable. I don't know if the busa starter is).

Chances are it's not the brushes, if it's spinning, but not engaging. I also doubt it's a battery issue causing this, because if it were, it would still be engaging the flywheel. Just not spinning at the speed it should. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.

You said the starter is spinning but the engine isn't. That means the starter isn't engaging the flywheel. Chances are the pintle isn't moving at all. When you hit the button, a solenoid inside the starter is supposed to move the pintle out to engage the teeth on the flywheel, spin the engine, and then it moves back and disengages so the starter isn't spinning at engine speed. It sounds like the solenoid that moves the pintle has gone bad so the starter spins, but it won't engage. I'd be willing to bet you either need a new starter or need to swap some parts on the one you have (if they're rebuildable. I don't know if the busa starter is).

Chances are it's not the brushes, if it's spinning, but not engaging. I also doubt it's a battery issue causing this, because if it were, it would still be engaging the flywheel. Just not spinning at the speed it should. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.

+1...really surprised no one else said this. If you can hear it spinning, and your getting power too it, skip everything else and look at the starter as your culprit.

+1 for the solenoid...that or teeth missing in the flywheel...except you would have heard that coming on for months. ie: grinding sound while starting.

I'm going to look at the starter more, because I heard from my friend that it was getting slower to start and that's why he took it to the shop. My mech friend who helped me take off the startor said one of the wheels didn't look like it was spining correctly. Thanks I will keep you guys informed, any other suggestions are welcome also
Posted via Mobile Device

Back