Busa kinda scared me yesterday

nabusa

Registered
A little history on me, in Sep. 2008 I wrecked my 08' busa. My front tire lost all it's air while in a turn doing 70mph. Front rim touched the ground and pretty much low sided straight to the guard rail and then shot across 4 lanes on the highway in rush hour traffic. I haven't riding or even sat on a bike since then. I recently got 02' busa. I went out for a ride everything felt great. Last night I finished buttoning everything back up and went for a ride.

On my way back home I got off the highway, while on the on ramp I noticed it was really wet. I tapped the breaks and for a split second nothing happened. I tapped it again and nothing again. For me butt pucker factor was now in effect. I dunno how I made it through the turn but I do know my ass end was not planted and came out wide but made it. I instantly got a flash back of my wreck two years ago. I got home and everything checked out fine. I bled the brakes, then I bled the brakes, then I rebled the brakes. This morning I drained all of the brake fluid, got new brake pads, and bled the brakes three times because I'm a bit paranoid at this moment. So that being said I'm getting new tires and going to upgrade my brakes just to be safe.

Edit, also getting leathers because skin and asphault did not go well for me.

Last edited:
Glad you came out OK. That would be a scary feeling to want brakes and not have any. Be safe out there man.

I can relate, I was gun shy too after my get off into a guard rail.

Take your time,ride slow, and get back in the groove... if it doesn't feel right just don't do it... you will find its mostly just mental and the bike is performing the way it should.

Seems like an awful lot of times to be re-bleeding...are you using any type of a tool to do this or just bleeding them off by hand? I do mine with the mighty vac and once they are bleed they stay firm. Another thing to consider most brake upgrades only make a real difference after 6+ hard stops in a row, the difference in the first stop my note be worth the cash you are spending.

+1,000,000 on the leather, I would rather mess up some leather then my own skin! Props to you getting back on the bike, but don't let your past cloud your future and cost you a ton of $$:welcome:

If your rotors were really wet then it might take one or two rotations to clear off the wet before they really bite. Once, I get caught in a downpour, rivers across the road and all that. Anyway water was going up on the rotor faster than the brakes could clean them and I had really reduced braking power.
Any chance this might have happened to you?

Get you some good quality pads, the EBC's are doing great for me and I have had them in torrential down pours. You may know this, and I wont harp, but did you downshift and let the engine slow you down? Take things much slower in the rain and be deliberate in the actions you take. Also, too much engine brake will cause the rear to slide, you dont want that either, clutch and brake control are a must. Instead of tapping your brakes, gradually "squeeze" the lever until you feel them engage and then feather as needed. Glad you made it through the turn with no other issues. My only point is to help you learn from what happened and improve on your skills. I am sorry, I will shut up now. :beerchug:

The single best upgrade I did on my brakes was the addition of braided lines. I added EBC HH pads at the same time, but the braided stainless lines (I used Spieglers) changed the whole feel of the brake. Much more feed back through the lever, and totally does away with the "balloon" feel that the stock rubber lines have.

De Busa can be a Bit#h at times..It let you know whos in charge every once in a while..

Glad your back and Cautions

Last edited:
If your rotors were really wet then it might take one or two rotations to clear off the wet before they really bite. Once, I get caught in a downpour, rivers across the road and all that. Anyway water was going up on the rotor faster than the brakes could clean them and I had really reduced braking power.
Any chance this might have happened to you?

My thoughts too!
Bubba

It could also be a sign that maybe you're not supposed to be on a bike for some reason. Just saying. :whistle:

:laugh:

Glad you're okay, and do what you must to feel comfortable. However, only ride if you are comfortable doing it. Very dangerous to do otherwise.

My thoughts too!
Bubba

I ride in the Rain Now..............Long Story.:whistle:

Same thing happened to me coming home in a Drizzle. Pads get wet. Now I ride the front brake every once and a while during wet conditions

I ride in the Rain Now..............Long Story.:whistle:

Same thing happened to me coming home in a Drizzle. Pads get wet. Now I ride the front brake every once and a while during wet conditions

Yes, the back brake can be your friend in wet conditions, hit the pads well before a turn, if you can, and get a feel for the braking.
Bosshound, how are your traffic situations? I got clipped by a passenger door opening today on the left can.
Bubba

Get you some good quality pads, the EBC's are doing great for me and I have had them in torrential down pours. You may know this, and I wont harp, but did you downshift and let the engine slow you down? Take things much slower in the rain and be deliberate in the actions you take. Also, too much engine brake will cause the rear to slide, you dont want that either, clutch and brake control are a must. Instead of tapping your brakes, gradually "squeeze" the lever until you feel them engage and then feather as needed. Glad you made it through the turn with no other issues. My only point is to help you learn from what happened and improve on your skills. I am sorry, I will shut up now. :beerchug:

No it's ok, I don't mind learning from people that know more then me. I don't know everything. Yes I knew about the engine breaking. That's what I did but I let clutch out a bit hard which is what cause the rear wheel to slip. I'll look into those EBC's and SS lines. I learn something new every day, I don't mind learning as long as it's not one of those ( k well I know not to do that again) type of things.

J'Man said:
It could also be a sign that maybe you're not supposed to be on a bike for some reason. Just saying.

Nah I don't think that was it...:please:

Glad to hear that you did not have a 2nd up close and personal meeting with the asphalt. Good luck with all the mods you are doing.

Mine scared me too one day, decived to see what full throttle was like in 1st. Started gettin on it and was about 75-80% throttle when I turned it the rest of the way. It was already pulling hard then it just leaped forward. I was tucked down but the beast pulled away from me and I came up off the bike a little as it tried to tear my arms off. Luckily I have a good grip and just soon as it happened I was bouncing off rev limiter so I clicked 2nd and went for it. Not so bad, but **** it caught me off guard.

I know how you feel. The very first I rode I took I blew out my rear tire, never went down but not the best maiden voyage. A couple months later I encountered my first (and only) rear tire lock up, skidded all the way through the intersection. It took a while to trust my instincts.

Back