Negatives to the busa? do they exist

Rongotti

Registered
Now that I have ruled out triumph it is down to busa, vfr or a nice tl1000R "if I can get a hold of one they seem to be the hardest one for me to find" A few negatives I have heard from reviews as well as a few of you are, burning through the back tire in under 1,000 miles, the temp of the bike, and the weight at low speeds. Are these a prob? are there any others?

Burning the tires is VERY possible...if you like to do a ton of burnouts, carve mad twisties and generally take off from every stop like cat with a red-hot iron in its azz.

Bike temp would depend on where you live....the Busa is generally pretty good with it's temp, but if you run into some probs, you can always do the Engine Ice thing.

Weight at low speeds can be noticeable, but remember: that weight plays a very significant role in top speed. The weight allows the the bus to be planted...I've been up to 135mph on mine and aside from the wind buffeting, the bike felt the same way it did at 40mph.

Other problems would be determined by what year model you purchase. The 99-00 models have a number of quirks, such as the cam chain tensioner malfunctioning (rectified easily by installing aftermarket tensioner), the aluminum siubframe being prone to cracking (again easily rectified by purchasing a steel one) as well as some fuel lines getting kinked (easily rectified as well) and perhas some fuel pump probs and that that very rare oil pump prob.

My 99 ran like an immaculate sumbidge...no probs for me.

Same applies ot the 00 model.

2001-2002 models had some starter issues, if I believe correctly, but I can't verify this for sure. Perhaps some of the other members who own this particular year can jump in.

2003-2004 models are supposed to run pretty good, as I have not heard any mechanical issues that I know of. Again, other board members may offer different input.

Decide what you really want in the bike...the Busa is great for ear-to-ear grins and is equally great for those distance rides. The probs that the Busa has can be easily remedied by numerous modifications and is generally a very docile bike...untli you turn that throttle WTFO. Then it shows you what it can really do.

Hope this helps.
wink.gif

I had a 02 TL1000R and traded it for a 04 busa. I thought that I would miss the V-twin, but the busa makes up for it in sooooo many other ways. Either way both bikes are good. I think that they stopped making the TL after 02, so it might be hard to find a good one.

Note: I sold my TL in Feb and got 65000 for it with 3200 miles, and not a scratch one it.

Agree with what PB said. Aluminum subframe issues with the '99 and '00 models and starter issues with the '01s. Other than that no significant issues. You have obviously thought about what you want in a bike to narrow the scope to those 3, so you will probably be satisfied with any of them. I'm sure you want the best of the group and we will all be a little biased here and tell you, "Hayabusa, there can be only one!" Good luck with the decision!

Had a friend that had a tl1000r...Everybody hated that bike...I guess none of us had ever ridden a twin...He ended up wrecking it and got a Busa...It just didn't perform like an inline 4...
evil.gif

Look at the specs for the VFR & the BUSA. Other than the
configuration of the cylinders and of course the
overwhelming power advantage of the BUSA they could be twins.
Now when you factor in the fact the BUSA costs LESS...
well I'd say the choice is an easy one.

The BUSA is faster, smoother, better handling and has better
brakes in both feel and control. The power delivery is
smooth & linear...The VFR has a cammy feel to it due to its
VTEC engine. One plus (or minus in my opinion) for the VFR
is the availability of ABS/Linked brakes.

The TL1000R is a discontinued model. Has been for2-3 model
years. The SV1000S is sorta its replacement. If you buy
a new 2003 Suzuki will give you a FREE lower fairing kit
that will make the SV look more like the TL. The SV is
similar in performance to the VFR and of course is WAAAY
cheaper to buy than either the VFR or the BUSA. The SV is
also alot more "flickable" than either of the other two.

I have to say that I'd prioritize The four bikes this way.
1.>Hayabusa   2.> SV1000S   3.>VFR   4.>TL1000R

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1006"|1089806717 -->

Since everyone has already pointed out the negatives on the busa...there aren't that many. All I can say is if you go with a busa you wont be disappointed

anyone mention how ugly it is to SOME? I feel it's very unique and attractive over the competition

..ok, reality check boys & gals..

the busa is HEAVY.. and it is BIG.. in twisties you WILL understand pretty well what this means..

BUT:

give it time (and yourself..) and you will also realise that it CAN turn - not like a TL-1000 or a Ducati 749, but RESPECTABLY fast and loads of fun in the exit, too.. (well, fun or else.. ..you HAVE to be careful with the throttle there, and ALWAYS one gear down from what you thought was necessary..)

I took mine to the track the other day - and I was not the fastest rider there, but I had a great time and broke the record on the max speed (as I was braking at the end of the straight with 270 km/h - nothing else racing or not has ever come close!.. ..the braking story is a horror story, but that's another issue.. ..thank God for the emergency exit lane..)

the bike purrs.. it's like a cat - albeit a wild one..

oil changes (and filters!), respect service intervals and if you ride smoothly next thing you know is you get to 150.000 miles and MAYBE you need clutch discs! It is THAT reliable..

other than that, you CAN'T treat it like a genuine tourer. Forget about the three-piece-luggage (try the U-HAUL instead..) two saddlebags and a tankbag is ALL you can carry (and the little missy - as long as she is as little as possible.. ). Royal passenger seat, not so "firm" on stops & go's so let her know she HAS to hold on to YOUR ass (or something..).

This is a rare thoroughbread SPORT-(touring) bike, and if you can respect her character, you will end up with thousands of miles, and millions of beautiful pictures together..

I am new here, I am not new in bikes, but my admiration for this bike can't stop to flood every inch of me when I get close to the time that "I 'll take her out for a spin"..

Negatives:
Rear tire needs replacing often
A hair on the heavy side, but this just makes it better for high speed runs.
Front brakes could be a tad better........fix: switch to ss brake lines.
Yer wife will be constantly pissed at you cuz this is one bike you just MUST ride all the time!!!
Last: You look like a complete moron walking around with this big shid eating grin on yer face all day!!!

I know where you can buy a perfect 01' TL1000s with 3500 miles on it, the dealer where I traded it for the busa still has it, one year later. You could steal it right now, I think they have it at $4500, probably take 4k. He gave me $5500 for it, big mistake. But, it was a very fun bike.....just NOT made for two people. Totally different bike from the busa, I would never go back.

Unless i missed it, i didn't see anything about the kickstand problem.

One advantage and the reason i bought a busa is, i wanted a sportbike and i also wanted to take momma with me. The busa is about the only one that we felt comfortable on. Because neither of us are really small people. We have ridden for several hours at a time on this bike without having to stop and work the kinks out.

OK Didn't read the rest of the posts, but here's my .02.

Worst thing about owning a Busa? Every PAB (Punk Ass Beeyotch) that has a bike or a freaking Civic with a fart can seems to think they got something for you... It gets old pretty fast...

Next, Speed limits... It sucks riding around town or anywhere else trying to keep the Busa within the posted limit... It really can become a chore... It's just that smooth.

OK OK ... Serious "Bike Niggles"

1. Mass, if you have never ridden a big bike before, you'll get your ass kicked for a little while getting used to the Mass and physical size.

2. Tire Appetite... It loves rear tires... Some folks who never really use the throttle
wow.gif
will claim 4-6K out of a rear tire... Uh Huh...
rock.gif
I burn through a rear every 2200 miles. NO Burnouts, Proper inflation... Just riding the mother... No biggie though, budget for it...

3. Paint is fragile; at least on some it's an issue.

4. Mushy Brakes, BIG ONE... Bleed the fronts as soon as you get it and be ready to buy stainless lines if it bothers you. The brakes are plenty powerful, they just lack feel.

5. If your Mentally deficient, or otherwise suffer from a brutal lack of wits the Side Stand can be an issue...
laugh.gif
Here's a tip, park in gear and roll your Busa forward till it stops, guess what? No more problems... it's simple and easy and something we should all do anyways... Should the stand be redesigned? Maybe, but if it's an issue for you see the above sentence and notch the stand...
wink.gif

6. You can tell it's a Suzuki when it comes time to change the oil or do any other work on it, fidgety plastics and oddly placed components and fasteners. Typical sport bike really, compromises you make for speed...

7. Stock screen cuts off tops of gauges unless your under prolly about 5'10" (Guessing) No biggie, Double Bubbles look good on it.

8. Thirsty Bike, but fuel mileage isn't a reason to buy a Busa anyway so, STFU...
tounge.gif

OK Ok, that's what I come up with, but there is nothing that I would do differently. I'd buy my Busa all over again, and again, and again...
It comes down to this, no matter what you may find wrong with the Busa, and those that have never ridden one like to talk like they have a freaking clue, but once you've ridden one to it's limits in the twisties and all the way up till she finally stops accelerating? All the nit picks and potential issues in the world… Mean Exactly bobo! Yeah, it's just that damned good, that damned fast, that damned comfy, and way too much fun...

If your after a hardcore twisty killer, the Busa is not for you... Um Duh... Don't get me wrong, the Busa handles great, better than Blackbird or a ZX12, but if you’re looking for something to tackle the tight stuff with this isn't the best tool. However, if you want what I feel is the best all a rounder on the planet with a monster motor, More handling than most can ever use, and serious comfort? The Busa is the best answer right now...

anyone mention how ugly it is to SOME? I feel it's very unique and attractive over the competition[/QUOTE]

Anyone that says the busa is ugly usually only sees the the tail lights for a second or so before they fade away. Maybe that is not its best angle!

burning through the back tire in under 1,000 miles,

<span style='color:blue'>You can get 5,000 miles on a stock tre if you drive normal</span>

the temp of the bike,

<span style='color:bluEven I the deep south this is not a big problem on a stock bike, a coupl of simple mods will help[/color'>and the weight at low speeds.
{color=blue]Bike is vey balaced even at very low (5mph) speeds. Bike is reall not that heavy. 75lbs more then a light sport bike. The question to ask can you pck it up if need be.</span>

Are these a prob?
<span style='color:blue'>No just a diffeence</span>

are there any others?
<span style='color:blue'>Depends how you want to ride. The bikes you are looking at are all very different.</span>

All of what you read above is vry god information, but you need to make up your ind with fit and riding wants.

I agree that weight is up there but unless your lifting the bike over your head, its not a problem. The bike in the way it sits in my garage , is just beautiful black / plum unbridled power just waiting to be unleashed, and though i only have 650 miles on it , I expect that I have years of riding in front of me that with the mods that I have planned , will be years of much more enjoyable riding. I thought you had already abandoned your dream of a hayabusa and if this rekindles it , I am happy for ya. Like I said in my other posts , there is never a point that I am unhappy with my bike. I like the color scheme, I like the fact that I may never get everything out of the bike that it has, but its there if I want it. and as simple minded as it sounds , I like the fact that when I ride with my buddies, that my bike gets the attention it deserves. Its like the President of the United States , surrounded by all his secret service agents (gixxers, r1, etc...) oh it gets hot in the nether regions but you can read other posts that I have written about never stopping long enough to let it matter....

Thanks for all the posts guys, Jfk I read the other thread, maybe we got off on the wrong foot, no hard feelings. What is the average gas mileage? and what is the " kickstand thing?" thanks oh and how much do the back tires run?
Ron

<!--EDIT|Rongotti
Reason for Edit: "back tire $"|1089826781 -->

Now that I have ruled out triumph it is down to busa, vfr or a nice tl1000R "if I can get a hold of one they seem to be the hardest one for me to find" A few negatives I have heard from reviews as well as a few of you are, burning through the back tire in under 1,000 miles, the temp of the bike, and the weight at low speeds. Are these a prob? are there any others?

TLR - discontinued (think resale value and parts availability) - While the VTwin is torqy and sounds good - the Busa has more than enough torque for anyone and has the smooth upper end which I think is an advantage.  Plus, with nice pipes the busa sounds great too.  If you need more torque with the Busa, gear down to a 16T up front.  But, I highly doubt you will for the street.  My stock 17T up front still allows me to get the front up without issue.  Plus, the TLR is not passenger or storage friendly.

Burning through the back tire in under 1,000 miles - This is going to be worse on the tiller.  Regardless, with a high displacement motor, it's largely up to your driving style and not the particular bike.

The temp of the bike - from what I hear, the TLR is hotter.  Actually, throw Engine Ice in as a coolant and it's not too darn hot.  All bikes are somewhat hot.  If it's still an issue after putting in the Engine Ice, have the pipes sterling coated by http://www.jet-hot.com for $145 + $25 return shipping.  Will lower the temp 30%.  That along with the Engine Ice will emlinate the temp issue.  However, it's not that big of an issue to start with with once you add the Engine Ice coolant which is easy.

The weight at low speeds - what?  This is a sport bike.  At 474 lbs (Dry weight), it's still a relatively light bike.  I have no issue with it at all at low, even crawling speeds.

Ron, all I can say is ENGINE CHARACTERISTICS!!!  This is something you are NOT going to find on any spec sheet.  This is why the Busa is king.  At the heart of most any bike's character is the engine.  This is what sets this bike apart from all others.  Notice, hardly anyone has mentioned a tradeoff with getting the busa.  Virtually everyone loves it.  There's a reason for that.  The engine is sweeeeeetttt!!!!!  Get a 2001 or newer and you'll be very happy.  The 2000- had subframe issues under the rear seat.  The only other bike I would consider is a GSXR750 if you want a track-type bike.  The 750 is lighter and and has less throttle to deal with in turns.  However, you lose a lot of semi-touring features such as comfort, storage options, and passing go-go juice.  Otherwise, if you want a larger street type bike, get the busa.  Trust me.

Todd

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089833088 -->

Also, some other tips for this bike:

For yourself and passenger, get the Corbin seats. Get the passenger the circle with a hole backrest. A must for a passenger. The passenger seat is built up so that she won't be sliding forward. The Corbin driver seat is very comfy for short or long runs. When I don't have a passenger, I use the stock rear seat because it goes on/off much easier than the Corbin which is heavier.

Storage - I hated the large tank bags. Tour Master makes awesome bags. The one that I use all the time is the rear seat bag. The Tour Master rear seat bag can strap right onto the rear seat and will have no straps showing at all. It's a clean setup and can be attached/detached in seconds.

With a passenger, TourMaster has a some saddlebags that are nice too. I use them along with the Corbin rear-seat/backrest when I travel with my passenger. There great for carrying misc stuff. Probably not big enough for a weekend trip though.

Back